First trail wheelset advice

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Reckon I'll end up with XM481 front, EX511 rear on Hope Pro 4s (I'd get DT Swiss 240s but the budget won't stretch that far).

Now I work out whether these cats build it for me or I buy the parts and get a local joint to rig it up.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Reckon I'll end up with XM481 front, EX511 rear on Hope Pro 4s (I'd get DT Swiss 240s but the budget won't stretch that far).

Now I work out whether these cats build it for me or I buy the parts and get a local joint to rig it up.
@Mattyp had a good experience with wheel Works I believe.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ok so Mattyp was obviously thrilled with Wheelworks.
@johnny theres a couple of guys building DT Swiss wheels on FB you may come across. I’d recommend you steer well clear.
Given that I steer clear of FB altogether, that will simplify things nicley.

Monkey Wrench at Hackett in Canberra charge $100 per wheel, but I don't know what their build quality is like. Anyone here used them for wheels before? @droenn @Litenbror @Haakon @Tubbsy @Scotty T

Other challenge will simply be finding stock.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Monkey Wrench at Hackett in Canberra charge $100 per wheel, but I don't know what their build quality is like. Anyone here used them for wheels before? @droenn @Litenbror @Haakon @Tubbsy @Scotty T

I haven't used them for wheel building but if I needed a wheel built they would be the only place in Canberra that I would have do it for me.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

No but my carbon wheels were from Wheelworks and they are excellent if you go that way.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Two Silver Hope Pro 4s (and Maxxis Ardent and High Roller) on the way from whereverthefark Wiggle is.

Now I have to go learn about which spokes I should get to lace onto the DT rims. Any advice would be gladly accepted!
Which rims did you go with (full disclosure I didn't bother to go back and look)?

A calculator like this should give you the spoke length, there are a few online so cross reference between a couple to make sure the length is consistent.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Which rims did you go with (full disclosure I didn't bother to go back and look)?

A calculator like this should give you the spoke length, there are a few online so cross reference between a couple to make sure the length is consistent.
I haven't tracked them down yet, but intend on doing DT Swiss XM481 front, EX511 rear (trail front Enduro rear only adds about 60gm over what a trail rim would add).

Regards the spoke question, I was more talking about which brand/grade spoke I should buy. Not something I've ever had to think about before. The mind goes straight away to DT Swiss, but even then, no idea which ones are right for me. Unfortunately, the DT Swiss website looks more like a marketing tool than a place for easy and relevant information. Going to trawl through a few reviews and explainers today in the usual e-mags.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've seen some sets of DT EX1501s on sale at Ze German online shops.
These are DT's top of the line Alu enduro wheelset.
Actually 511 rims and 240 hubs with 1501 decals.
Haven't checked but stock may be an issue.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I looked at the pro wheel builder website and one of the options is the lacing patterns, anyone have any thoughts on that as I fall down another fucking rabbit hole?