First trail wheelset advice

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I can't complain on the service from Cycling deal. Ordered Monday morning, in my hot little hands noon today!
Was a bit worried as box for the front said it was 100x15mm, but in the box was a boost hub version.

First impressions are these look great, finish is nice. And look FAT! haha. Hopefully they stand up to my use, but for $450 delivered I can't complain. Apparently 40% off, but no idea how true that was.
I like that they also turned up with a spare XD driver, which may help with cluster selection in future, especially if availability continues to be an issue.
Also like that they turned up pre-taped with valves and even a bottle of Ringle branded, made by Stans for each wheel.

Sun Ringle Duroc 35, 31mm internal width 27.5

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Well, I can't complain on the service from Cycling deal. Ordered Monday morning, in my hot little hands noon today!
Was a bit worried as box for the front said it was 100x15mm, but in the box was a boost hub version.

First impressions are these look great, finish is nice. And look FAT! haha. Hopefully they stand up to my use, but for $450 delivered I can't complain. Apparently 40% off, but no idea how true that was.
I like that they also turned up with a spare XD driver, which may help with cluster selection in future, especially if availability continues to be an issue.
Also like that they turned up pre-taped with valves and even a bottle of Ringle branded, made by Stans for each wheel.

Sun Ringle Duroc 35, 31mm internal width 27.5
Can't go wrong for that price really.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
44 is plenty on my pro4. 40 on the evo upgrade was still plenty. Numerous older sets still running the 24. It’s lower, but fine, and better than some.
I’ve got a set of i9 with 104. I still much prefer Hope hubs.
moorey, do you know if freehub bodies are easily switched on Hope 4 hubs. I am looking at some wheels with them but will need a different freehub body.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The main take away that I've got is that I might have to go enduro over trail. I don't want the extra weight but many trail rims are only rated to about 110-120kg. I'm 110kg (when I'm trim and training, 115kg when fat and lazy), which puts wheels like that at risk from the get go, even before I add the weight of the bike to it. Some enduro rims are rated to 130, and I guess that's where I'm going to have to go here.

Minlak

custom titis
The main take away that I've got is that I might have to go enduro over trail. I don't want the extra weight but many trail rims are only rated to about 110-120kg. I'm 110kg (when I'm trim and training, 115kg when fat and lazy), which puts wheels like that at risk from the get go, even before I add the weight of the bike to it. Some enduro rims are rated to 130, and I guess that's where I'm going to have to go here.
But isn't it per wheel ? So 120kg would be 240kg load? - i think you can safely pump your numbers up there and get to at least 125KG's.

I ran DT Swiss rated at 120KG when I weight over 150KG - I don't jump but never buckled warped or broke - I think you will find most brand quality wheels will have plenty of buffer for you.

There are well known swiss cheese wheels just avoid them

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
But isn't it per wheel ? So 120kg would be 240kg load? - i think you can safely pump your numbers up there and get to at least 125KG's.

I ran DT Swiss rated at 120KG when I weight over 150KG - I don't jump but never buckled warped or broke - I think you will find most brand quality wheels will have plenty of buffer for you.

Which are the well known swiss cheese wheels?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Is that right? Well that is a relief! I really didn't want to go enduro.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
The main take away that I've got is that I might have to go enduro over trail. I don't want the extra weight but many trail rims are only rated to about 110-120kg
Unless you're racing, just get the enduro rims and forget about trail because a few grams means not much.
If you're racing, still get the enduro rims because 2sec slower is better than a DNF.