Erica MTB Park

mudmav

Likes Dirt
to answer the other part of your question shakes im pretty sure i have seen plenty of no motorbike signs through out the mountain bike park, so i wouldn't suggest you go through on the trail bike

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Have spent a bit of time in rawson 4x4'ing in the area and riding moto's.

Can't wait till time allows me to get up there to ride this absolutely love the area.

Do you guys have any drama's with moto's coming through the park?

As for riding idea's I love long flowy fast berms with medium size smooth doubles that you can manual over... Throwback from my bmx days. Next to nothing like that around melbourne that I have found.
Hope to see you out here soon.

Motorbike use close to town where the MTB park is has reduced heaps in recent years. DSE have being running a trail bike project for awhile pointing out that it is illegal to ride most singletrail in State forest on a dirt bike. With that they have fined plenty, and usually a few are unregistered or unlicenced, so the size of the fines adds up.

From what I see, 99% of the trailbikes ride straight past the singletrack entries and continue on 4wd tracks. The odd trailbike does use them, but I have not come across a trailbike rider when on the singletrail for months.

Thanks for the trail ideas. Super long berms and larger jumps lend themselves to machine construction or lots of people building. We will knock the first section of Winch Line through, get some of the AM crowd to ride it, then maybe run a build weekend to add more feature/jumps etc if you think it needs it.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Great hear about the moto's, would of thought for sure they would be tearing up your single tracks.

I'm extremely hard to get on a free day but if you happen to have a trail building day when I have enough time to get down and back I'm good on a barrow and shovel. spent plenty of time working for a drainage/plumbing company.
be up there soon!

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
AMB Review

Australian Mountainbike magazine have done a review of the Erica MTB Park. You can read it in their current edition #117. So check it out if you want some more info, or are still unsure if these trails actually exist.

Part of the review has been added to Trailmate, so if you cant get a hold of AMB, try there.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
was thinking about coming up tomorrow how does it hold up after all this rain????
Trails are fine but damp. Expect to get dirty from spray and some flicked mud. The southern trails, Axmen, Roots and All, Scream etc tend to be a bit drier, more sun.

I don't know what the weather is doing tomorrow but I would think it will be pretty cold (too cold for me).

mudmav

Likes Dirt
looks like ill pack a change of clothes and head up their after dropping the misses off at work, at least i wont see 4 bloody snakes in a 3 hour ride like i did last time i was their. Awesome Awesome place to ride though even with the snakes! Big props to the builders!!!

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
looks like ill pack a change of clothes and head up their after dropping the misses off at work, at least i wont see 4 bloody snakes in a 3 hour ride like i did last time i was their. Awesome Awesome place to ride though even with the snakes! Big props to the builders!!!
Thanks for getting rid of the snakes for the rest of us. No chance of seeing any this time of year.

Pitty we don't have the first section of Winch Line finished for you. It comes off Scream just after the singletrail starts on Scream if you want to check out what we have built, but you will have to ride back up at the moment.

sunny

Likes Dirt
Kids....

Has anyone taken their kids to Erica MTB park? Just wondering whether it would be suitable for my two (6 and 9). I think they're reasonable riders, then again, I'm biased.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Has anyone taken their kids to Erica MTB park? Just wondering whether it would be suitable for my two (6 and 9). I think they're reasonable riders, then again, I'm biased.
Hi Sunny. Not that I am any kind of judge on what a 6 or 9 year old is capable on a bike, but I would think most of the singletrail would be a bit steep. I would not have done it on my bmx when I was 6. That said, our blue trails, Crazy Snake, Berries and SSS don't have a heap of obstacles on the trail. The difficulty comes from riding at speed on narrow trails with lots of close trees and interesting corners etc, so if you take it slow, aside from the grade, they aren't too bad.

Currently the only real green trails are the Erica to Thomson Station rail trail starting at the mill park, and the Tyers Junction rail trail that starts on the Moe Rawson rd. Each of these are about 15km return. The Erica to Thomson rail trail holds a bit of water in winter, so expect to get dirty if you give it a go.

rigoni

Cannon Fodder
Great riding at Erica in the wet.

I travelled to the Erica Mountain Bike Park this weekend with 3 friends. It had been raining all week and most of Saturday, all the water made the uphill a bit of a challenge and through the fast downhill sections we all had a few near stacks. All up though the tracks are fun and there's a great mix on offer. Only negative is the lack of signage, finding the Gravel Dump trailhead is difficult and took some searching, the Mill Park tracks are a bit easier to located. Might be a good idea to invest a few dollars in permanent signs. We'll definitely be back later this year.

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
Lack of signage is a shame. I thought that had put up most of the permanent signs already. We did the mill park bit and the temporary signs was enough to figure it out but with the perms I reckon it would of been great

initial thoughts on Erica

whilst leaving Rigoni choking on my tyre smoke behind me, I thought the 3 trails on the west of the road at Gravel dump were signed ok once we found the start but Berries was hard to follow. And also a lot muddier (for those thinking of braving the wet). These trails did feel a bit on the short side to me though? However, the Mill Park tracks were longer and great fun, even in the wet. But even though there were signs, I still got lost, couldnt relate the map to the signs. But as in "Ill just ride back the way I came" lost, not "bugger Ive no idea where I am and its getting dark" lost so no big dramas. Nice place, looking forward to coming back in the dry

Signage

Crazy snake, Bones and Axemens are 95% sign posted with more signs going up every week. Stage one of the new trail Whinchline is almost complete, with about 300m of trail left to build.

Happy riding.

Went out today.
Rode Crazy Snakes - I walked my bike up the hill and then rode down if thats what your meant to do? Couldnt see myself riding up it.
Then went to the track next to the cemetary which was alot of fun, but was alot harder to follow.
Good fun!

mudmav

Likes Dirt
What we really need to do is organize some .gpx gps files of the tracks, i think ill start doing it track by track next time im up their and hopefully that way we can get them included in this thread. That way if you have a gps or an iphone or like, you could download the tracks that you plan on riding and that way you dont have to worry about getting lost or not finding the tracks. I have done this with blores hill at glenn maggie and i have virtually every km of single trail in .gpx files and its come in handy when i have passed it on to mates. Maybe Fattrax is the one to be emailing the gps files to so he can distribute them from this thread. Im happy to start mapping next time i am their??

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Gpx

Trailmate has gpx files for Erica available.

http://www.trailmate.com.au/home/vic/erica

I don't use the technology so I can't say how well this file works, but I am sure someone can tell me.

We were working on Winch Line today and got close to the first section finished. About 100m to go. I reckon it will be fast. Can't wait to see some serious guys hit it and see what can be done with the right bike.

Right now, finishing the bit of Winch Line and signing Berries is the priority. Will post when each is done.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Planning on doing a reconnaissance ride next Monday after staying in Warragul Sunday night, with a view to bringing some mates down sometime in the future.

As a reasonably fit rider, I'd imagine doing the lot in 3 or 4 hrs wouldn't be a problem would it? Can I just park in town and ride between the two locations? Any local riders up for a ride?