Erica MTB Park

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
More trails out Mill Park side

We are currently undergoing an expansion of the trails on the Mill Park or eastern side of town. The DSE had a fuel reduction burn over part of this area in May and this has given us easy access to build new trail there.

We have added some extra to Crazy Snake (M1) and will have another couple of trails added. The first of these is Silvertop Spur and can be ridden as much as we have made.

There will be some temporary signage and some unsigned bits for a little while but you won't get lost. Explore the new stuff if you want, or just stick to M1.

Will keep you posted as things develop.

pics of the park

Here are some photos of the trails 06/06/2013. Most of the trails are in good condition, Roots and all has got several trees across it and requires some maintenance.
P7020017 (480x640).jpgP7020022 (480x640).jpgP7040002 (480x640).jpgP7040006 (480x640).jpg

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lookin' good there DH & Fattrax. Keep up the good work and I hope to get back there soon.

Gotta love those fuel reduction burns. Great time to build. ;)

Btw, it tears me up knowing I'll be in Warragul and so close to Erica tomorrow, but can't take the bike.

Last edited:

ndc

Likes Bikes
Visited the Erica MTB Park today. Unfortunately motos had ripped through the majority of Crazy Snake (M1) and Bones (M2) leaving fresh pebbles of wet mud for our tyres to get clogged up with. Initially thought someone had gone through to 'keep the trail running' but the thrashed out corners indicated it wasn't :( Is it a matter of the motos not knowing it's a MTB track? Do you reckon some "no motobikes" signs would help or would they just get defaced and ignored?

The sections which hadn't been badly ripped up were sweet and the trails through the fire reduction areas were pretty special. Spotted the new work you're putting through in the Eastern areas - looking good! A few trees that I couldn't move with my hands - one that I remember is the sections of M1 which bypasses M2, another on the SSS's (M3) single track.

The Western trails weren't draining as well as the trails in the East. Also some pretty deep drainage ruts or moto ruts. Only had time for Axeman (C1) and Skirts (C6) - a tree (or two?) down on C1 as well. Almost missed Skirts - but managed to do it in both directions - the highlight of the Western trails for me. Didn't do Roots and All (C2) as the closed sign was up, although the tape was broken. Ran out of light for Berries (C4).

Thanks for your hard work. Looking forward to coming back when it's a little drier.

Last edited:

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
New Trail Update

We have been busy adding trail in the Mill Park area and the Collins Siding area. This is an update and info on some planned changes. If you don't like the below changes, say now.

Silvertop Spur (in the Mill Park area) is coming along well. Still some more to do, but ride what is there if you like. The change is that we are planning to close SSS (M2) as it is poorly used and use the singletrail part of it as part of Silvertop Spur. We will re-badge M2 as Silvertop Spur. Silvertop Spur is all singletrail and should be a lot more entertaining than SSS.

Winch Line AM trail has been cut all the way through. You can get a shuttle pick-up from the corner of Telbit Rd and Rusks Rd. Telbit Rd is the road to the Caringal Scout Camp. We have done maintenance on the top sections of Winch Line and it is pretty good. We are adding some more feature and grooming the last bit over the next couple of weeks. Note the lower sections are not signposted, so take the map.

To sign Winch Line, are are planning to close Scream. I like Scream, it is a real challenge but it seems it doesn't get a lot of use, and the climb is probably just too hard to ever get many riders, so we are unsure it is worth the upkeep for the few riders who may use it. Instead, we will use the C3 signage for Winch Line, and Winch Line will become C3, rather than C5.

Stay posted for the word that Winch Line is fully signed and open, and then go for it. Hopefully, it will be a good addition for you all.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Contemplating a trip out there this weekend.

What condition are the trails in with all of the rain?
We have missed much of the rain, although it is raining today. I rode last night and it was dry. It has been windy and there are a few branches down. We are getting to them but probably not all by the weekend.

Roots and All is closed due to trees being down and it requires a good rake. We have been too busy building Winch Line, and Silvertop Spur to get to it.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
New Trail Map

I have uploaded a new trail map to Pg 1 of this thread. Version 3.5.

It has the whole length of Winchline shown and the new Silvertop Spur (M2) which replaces the SSS trail.

The shuttle pick up for Winchline is at the corner of Telbit Rd and Rusks Rd.

These trails have been there for a little while, but we have only just caught up with signage so you can follow them easily.

Erica or Blores Hill in the wet

Heading down to Lakes Entrance from Melbourne tomorrow, planning on riding either Blores Hill or Erica on the way down and the other on the way back. Looks like there’s a bit of rain coming through tonight, any recommendations on which trail should drain better or be avoided if too wet?

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Heading down to Lakes Entrance from Melbourne tomorrow, planning on riding either Blores Hill or Erica on the way down and the other on the way back. Looks like there’s a bit of rain coming through tonight, any recommendations on which trail should drain better or be avoided if too wet?
argg, generally with this kind of frontal system, Erica will get more rain than Blores. Erica trails drain pretty well and there is not much standing puddles on most of the trails, a few but not heaps. What I can say is Erica trails get slippery with rain, and Blores within reason grip goes up with some rain. Blores is loose as when dry and Erica grips much better dry. I don't know what you are after, but most in your case would go Blores, Lakes, Erica.

argg, generally with this kind of frontal system, Erica will get more rain than Blores. Erica trails drain pretty well and there is not much standing puddles on most of the trails, a few but not heaps. What I can say is Erica trails get slippery with rain, and Blores within reason grip goes up with some rain. Blores is loose as when dry and Erica grips much better dry. I don't know what you are after, but most in your case would go Blores, Lakes, Erica.

Tks Fattrax, Sounds like i have a plan, looking forward to exploring these trails.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Anyone know the latest on trails out at Erica?

Been meaning to head out that way but I think from memory in these forums the tracks struggle after rain

Any guidance appreciated