Electronics help

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'd definately be looking at servos

I know you've said you want to use video and that's that, which is fine. But unless you're planning on making a reaaaaaaaaallly long (and boring) video with more time and less lapse, you've going to be throwing away the vast majority of your video frames anyway. (unless you've found a device that will playback a bazillion frames a second).
I really can't see any lack of 'smoothness' in a servo being a problem.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rotisserie motor are 240v way way to high! i need a LITTLE 12VDC motor, and besides i've gotten over the price factor, i'll be using this motor and speed controller!

Motor - http://www.servocity.com/html/1_rpm_gear_motor.html
Digital Speed Controller - http://www.servocity.com/html/digital_manual_speed_controlle.html

and i'll be spinning on some 100mm x 75mm x 20mm bearings, with some solid parts to suit that i'll make and a good size belt maybe 20mm wide

it's going to be about 200mm X 110mm X 75mm any about 2-3kgs

so i'll be buying a new tripod for it aswell

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to put it simply i'm not paying $990 bucks for a thing that rotates my camera, i know they exist but they are fuck off expensive or you need a smart phone to drive it which are also expensive seeing as i dont have one and dont really want one i'd be up for a grand or so regardless, making my own will be cheaper and i also like the challenge of making it my self

LJohn

Likes Dirt
How high do you want the quality? I'm still assuming it is time lapse. Doing it with video and having a few frames here and there out of alignment is going to be a lot less jarring than trying to do it with a DSLR taking single images.

$150 is cheap for what you're wanting to do either way. You can either invest either no time and a lot of money or a lot of time and little money.

You're bigger concern will be building a platter stable enough.

You want cheap? Go to basics. Don't use electricity. I'd be trying to use some kind of controlled energy release. Gravity is good for that. It would need some fine tuning but if you used the right gear ratio and braking, you could get something as simple as a sinker on a cord to do the work for you, as long as you kept everything constant.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How high do you want the quality? I'm still assuming it is time lapse. Doing it with video and having a few frames here and there out of alignment is going to be a lot less jarring than trying to do it with a DSLR taking single images.

$150 is cheap for what you're wanting to do either way. You can either invest either no time and a lot of money or a lot of time and little money.

You're bigger concern will be building a platter stable enough.

You want cheap? Go to basics. Don't use electricity. I'd be trying to use some kind of controlled energy release. Gravity is good for that. It would need some fine tuning but if you used the right gear ratio and braking, you could get something as simple as a sinker on a cord to do the work for you, as long as you kept everything constant.
the video will make like easier anyway and its with a 60d MKIV

$150 is cheap BUT the smart phone to drive it isn't, i dont have a smart phone and dont really want to fork out for one to drive a time laps rig.

no, a stable base is easy i could weld one up in no time

now thats to primitive!

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
the video will make like easier anyway and its with a 60d MKIV

$150 is cheap BUT the smart phone to drive it isn't, i dont have a smart phone and dont really want to fork out for one to drive a time laps rig.

no, a stable base is easy i could weld one up in no time

now thats to primitive!
Did you actually look at any of the links I posted? One of them can clearly be run without a smartphone.

I can now see why you need help with this project.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you actually look at any of the links I posted? One of them can clearly be run without a smartphone.

I can now see why you need help with this project.
i did and it was $900!!

i need help i just think it woould be good to see what other people think and get a greater input

wombat

Lives in a hole
i did and it was $900!!

i need help i just think it woould be good to see what other people think and get a greater input
Did you not see the Astro? Not quite in production yet apparently, but it's showing a price of $180, and whilst they seem to be developing an optional app, it's not necessary.

Alternatively, have you considered getting something like the Radian, and then investing your time in making a control unit on the cheap? I know a $40 Raspberry Pi will happily run android, you'd just need to sort out how to deal with display and input. Still a bit DIY, but at least the physical unit will be solid and compact, and I reckon you'd end up with much better control options.