Electronics help

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok so i'm building a unit that will allow me to take do panning time lapses, and i need the camera to rotate at varyable rates inbetween 1rph (maybe less) and 6rph

i can get to 14rpm but this is still far far to fast! it needs to have a decent amount of torque because it will be spinning at least a 5kg weight and maybe up to 10kgs

i know i will need a gear box or two for this to be achieved but i'd like some advise from some people who are a bit more electronically savy than me, i am resonable compotent with basic electronics, trimpots, relays, motor, leds, solenoids, timers, and so on and so on, i've build some resonable electronics before, my whole house is wired up to a computer program names fred i made in visual basic, so i'm not a complete rookie but i just cant find a gear box with low enough gearing, i will also be using a worm gear on the final big gear that connects to the camera mount

i would also like a ESC for it so i can adjust the rotation speed accuratly

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
You don't really need a slower motor, just a different gearbox. Yeah?

Edit: and your torque will be achieved by gearing it down.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You don't really need a slower motor, just a different gearbox. Yeah?

Edit: and your torque will be achieved by gearing it down.
yeh but a slower motor will help a 12,000rph motor needs a gear reduction on 360,000 : 1 to get to 14rph which is still too much!

0psi

Eats Squid
Kessler do exactly this kind of thing and also motors for dollys for really cool timelapse shots.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know thats why i would like to try and replicate it and save my self some big dollars!

i think i'll use the above motor now i need an internal drive gear about 2" id and they're hard as shit to find

LJohn

Likes Dirt
How small do your movement increments need to be? Could you do it with a timer and a stepper motor with a reduction ratio small enough to make the movement increments insignificant?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How small do your movement increments need to be? Could you do it with a timer and a stepper motor with a reduction ratio small enough to make the movement increments insignificant?
movement incriments? umm not having incriments, i dont want a stepped movemnt i has to be one smooth fluid motion, not stepping involved, sorry but its not what i'm after, i can so stepped time lapes by hand

Ever thought of a worm drive gearbox? Loads of torque and low rpm
i have, i was going to use one but with this 1rp motor i will use a single gear onto the larger gear with the camera mount

what about a servo ?
to fast not smooth enough dont allow for constant 360

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
jaycar man, they do heaps of servo motors and reduction gear sets, Tamiya i think!
is it an AC motor or DC motor?...if its a DC motor, the speed can be simply altered with changes to the supply voltage.
AC is a little more complicated, as you have to change either the frequency (somewhat difficult) or the number of internal "poles" (extremely difficult) and not the supply voltage!

Last edited:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jaycar man, they do heaps of servo motors and reduction gear sets, Tamiya i think!
is it an AC motor or DC motor?...if its a DC motor, the speed can be simply altered with changes to the supply voltage.
AC is a little more complicated, as you have to change either the frequency (somewhat difficult) or the number of internal "poles" (extremely difficult) and not the supply voltage!
yeh man jaycar is one of my favorite shops been in there quite a bit, probably more than necessary but they dont have the motors or gears i'm after, they dont sell brass gears in the size i want and the motors are just not quite right, too big or too small

also it'll have to be a 12v dc motor preferably