Electric Vehicles etc

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Even the hardest petrol heads get the EV grin. It's some of the most pleasing content on social sites.
Lets face it most petrol heads just like going fast. The noise (I'm looking at you sweet, sweet V8 noise) is/has been a by-product of that speed.

EV speed hits differently, with the effortless silence. I certainly like it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You don't reckon the new Model 3 looks heaps better or would you only be in the market for the Y? I'm not a big fan of the look of the Y esp after the new 3 hit the shelves, but if I was going for an SUV it's a better car than others so the features would outweigh looks for me.
Don't much like the bar of soap look of either of them tbh.

Going to keep running the big station wagon on Dino juice for a few more years and dip a toe into electricity with a small car. She likes the look of the Mini SE, so will probably be one of those. It's a car for her after all.

I don't mind the Polestar 4, but still kind of hanging out for a big euro wagon a-la RS6. Interested to see what Porsche do with the upcoming electric Cayman as well. Still not sure how I feel about electric performance cars but the Ioniq 5 seems to be surprising everyone, so that's positive.

I don't see the point of punishing legacy car makers because they were slow to develop new tech.

Also, I'm a snob.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Im considering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because there just isnt the infrastructure to go full electric considering its our only car. Will be driving to Canberra ocassionally etc so need the petrol backup.

As its on a lease it will have a payout of about 21k in 5 years, whats everyones thoughts on the value of a hybrid SUV in 5 years?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Lets face it most petrol heads just like going fast. The noise (I'm looking at you sweet, sweet V8 noise) is/has been a by-product of that speed.

EV speed hits differently, with the effortless silence. I certainly like it.
Give me a quality straight six any day. I'm not as big a fan of V8s.

safreek

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, that stance may soften a little once an EV pins you to your seat like no internal combustion engine can.
I wanted to hire an EV when I'm in Adelaide on the weekend but I couldn't be sure it would suit going into the mallee and riverland.
Not sure how motels react to chargers if they are even supplied in hire cars.

I've heard the pick up is awesome in EV but it can't match the masculine rumble of the 8

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Moved a bunch of posts about cars out of social media thread and into here where its more relevant t

Jabubu

given the need for extra bracing to make up for no roof, would an EV with heavy batteries in the floor be better or worse to make as a convertible?
It would certainly need a sturdier chassis and there's even more space for bracing so maybe it would be better?

Jabubu

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Im considering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because there just isnt the infrastructure to go full electric considering its our only car. Will be driving to Canberra ocassionally etc so need the petrol backup.

As its on a lease it will have a payout of about 21k in 5 years, whats everyones thoughts on the value of a hybrid SUV in 5 years?
5 years I reckon will see most cars with an option of 800-1000km batteries. So the PHEV range might have it more competitive than older EV's because people seem obsessed with range. Depends how much petrol costs I guess.

Having done a few medium sized trips in the Tesla and used plenty of non-Tesla chargers I would have no worries taking any 400km + range EV to Melbourne, a quick look shows loads of options for Tesla and enough for others.

Tesla Albury and Yea superchargers are open to other vehicles, with 7 on the route for Teslas. Chargefox has a 350kW just out of Albury. Evie has 184kW at Tarcutta. There's a bunch of 50kW on the route which will give you about 140-160km in half an hour.

The infrastructure does exist, it would maybe add half an hour to your trip in a non-Tesla, or no time in the Tesla unless your mode is to rip through with 1 or 2 rushed 10 minute coffee stops in 660km of driving. Which you could almost do in the Tesla.

Also do you have 3 kids? If so haven't paid attention all these years haha, but if there are only 2 I was wondering why 7 seats was a requirement?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
5 years I reckon will see most cars with an option of 800-1000km batteries. So the PHEV range might have it more competitive than older EV's because people seem obsessed with range. Depends how much petrol costs I guess.

Having done a few medium sized trips in the Tesla and used plenty of non-Tesla chargers I would have no worries taking any 400km + range EV to Melbourne, a quick look shows loads of options for Tesla and enough for others.

Tesla Albury and Yea superchargers are open to other vehicles, with 7 on the route for Teslas. Chargefox has a 350kW just out of Albury. Evie has 184kW at Tarcutta. There's a bunch of 50kW on the route which will give you about 140-160km in half an hour.

The infrastructure does exist, it would maybe add half an hour to your trip in a non-Tesla, or no time in the Tesla unless your mode is to rip through with 1 or 2 rushed 10 minute coffee stops in 660km of driving. Which you could almost do in the Tesla.

Also do you have 3 kids? If so haven't paid attention all these years haha, but if there are only 2 I was wondering why 7 seats was a requirement?
Kid have friends so we run out of seats quickly. Had 3 extras over the weekend so the 7 seats is to accommodate the overflow.

Trips to Melbourne and Canberra are fine for infrastructure as like you said there is plenty on route, as long as they are all working and not being used. I see there being a bit of growing pains over the next few years with the number of EVs being sold and the infrastructure roll out but its a storm in a tea cup, its an inconvenience not a problem.

I would be happy to go full EV but with only wanting 1 car and needing more seats there just arent the options for under 100k. Also range is an issue, not a deal breaker but a consideration. If I want to take the kids somewhere outside the major centers its a bit more planning, not a deal breaker but a consideration.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah fair enough, we had one kid and BMX was the only ongoing activity so it was never a thing for us. Can't even recall him having two friends in the car with both of us really.

The PHEV is absolutely the next best thing and if you stop where there is a charger you can fully reload the battery pretty fast and save some dino juice.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There's been some news lately about real-world PHEV emissions being far worse than claimed, especially when a lot of driving isn't in pure electric.

Comes down to how you use it of course.