Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
As it is currently, I’m looking forward to convertinna classic car for 150km range as a third vehicle that will suit when my son starts to drive in a few years.
Yeah as more options come on the market this becomes less attractive aside from the enthusiasts, and it's just damn expensive. 10k drivetrain 10k battery is basically price of entry. Then a hell of a lot of time spent building it which I'd rather spend playing with and riding bikes at this stage of my life. I want to build something like this but with AC power for regen...

That dude now runs the company that makes the fastest supercar in the world.

Manufacturers need to stop wasting money on dead dinosaurs.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daim...combustion-engines-to-focus-on-electric-cars/

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Converting old cars is becoming more of a thing using Tesla bits etc.

Lots of Tesla motors going into stuff, EV West is developing a conversion kit for 911s for example.

VW are also offering an “OEM” EV complete chassis for classic Beetles using a motor from an electric Up.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Converting old cars is becoming more of a thing using Tesla bits etc.
I'm always a bit perplexed as to why there isn't more of a market around this.

Part of it I suppose is that auto manufacturing is super efficient and has got the supply chain super cheap and efficient. The other part is technical issues like the range of mounting options, vacuum assisted brakes and the host of ancillary items that get strapped to an engine.

Haakon

I'm always a bit perplexed as to why there isn't more of a market around this.

Part of it I suppose is that auto manufacturing is super efficient and has got the supply chain super cheap and efficient. The other part is technical issues like the range of mounting options, vacuum assisted brakes and the host of ancillary items that get strapped to an engine.
Pretty much. It will take off more, but it’s only ever going to be enthusiasts and rod shops. That’s a relatively minor niche market now, swapping to another power train type won’t change that.

Would be great to see Tesla sell a “crate engine” package - motor/drive assembly with universal controller systems, and modular battery packs.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Pretty much. It will take off more, but it’s only ever going to be enthusiasts and rod shops. That’s a relatively minor niche market now, swapping to another power train type won’t change that.

Would be great to see Tesla sell a “crate engine” package - motor/drive assembly with universal controller systems, and modular battery packs.
Yep agree niche market now so will remain that. GM were looking into a drop in LS compatible crate motor.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think that's the biggest problem with electric vehicle conversions as it stands. It very hard as an amateur to spec a cohesive and reliable kit.

From the little bit of internet research I've done on one-off conversions seems to suggest the component reliability isn't great either. Very basic DC systems seem fairly reliable, but are also quite low performance (especially for their weight). Once you jump to more complex systems, there's so many separate electronic components that it's very hard to get them to all work together at the same time, and as a lot of them a small-volume or prototype electronic, you as the consumer becomes the tester as well.

If someone comes up with a reasonably generic fitment, reliable motor/controller/battery/battery management kit they'd do well out of them I reckon..

There's a few mobs that do well-sorted conversions for specific vehicles, but it's not much use unless you really want one of those particular vehicles.

Haakon

Yep agree niche market now so will remain that. GM were looking into a drop in LS compatible crate motor.
GM and Ford and Chrysler have already for many many years been selling drop in crate motors. Basically a complete with ancillaries and an ecu and ready to wire/plumb in.

For example, the ICON Derelicts use a GM off the shelf crate engine.

Haakon

I think that's the biggest problem with electric vehicle conversions as it stands. It very hard as an amateur to spec a cohesive and reliable kit.

From the little bit of internet research I've done on one-off conversions seems to suggest the component reliability isn't great either. Very basic DC systems seem fairly reliable, but are also quite low performance (especially for their weight). Once you jump to more complex systems, there's so many separate electronic components that it's very hard to get them to all work together at the same time, and as a lot of them a small-volume or prototype electronic, you as the consumer becomes the tester as well.

If someone comes up with a reasonably generic fitment, reliable motor/controller/battery/battery management kit they'd do well out of them I reckon..

There's a few mobs that do well-sorted conversions for specific vehicles, but it's not much use unless you really want one of those particular vehicles.
Get into YouTube and watch EV West’s work. Using OEM parts gives you the reliability and then it’s jsut a matter of wiring.

Wrecked Tesla’s go for big money at auctions for their motor and battery ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Get into YouTube and watch EV West’s work. Using OEM parts gives you the reliability and then it’s jsut a matter of wiring.

Wrecked Tesla’s go for big money at auctions for their motor and battery ;)
Shall check it out, sounds good.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
GM and Ford and Chrysler have already for many many years been selling drop in crate motors. Basically a complete with ancillaries and an ecu and ready to wire/plumb in.
Engines, they've been selling engines even though the term is crate motor. I forgot the word electric, and you missed my nuance :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hahahaaaaa!!!!!

Never going to happen. They are actively championing against “right to repair”.

Crate ICE exists as they’ve flogged the intellectual property horse to death & every engine they sell makes profit.

Haakon

Hahahaaaaa!!!!!

Never going to happen. They are actively championing against “right to repair”.

Crate ICE exists as they’ve flogged the intellectual property horse to death & every engine they sell makes profit.
Yeah, Tesla are flirting with the Apple way there... I get the theory that they’re protecting their brand, but...

It took a while but the Tesla controller software has been cracked and can be used in conversions.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Ev is great, but thousands of apartment and unit dwellers can't charge and commute. Our power grid is already stuffed in summer with everyone's and a rapidly growing population. Still plenty of us doing 800km+ a week and cnat afford to be having 20minute stops to recharge. EV China is prime example of where it isn't all that's cracked up to be. We hired ex staff member and the amount of recall work was crazy to him. He loves the brand but wouldn't touch one yet.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
On the flipside go find a standard panel beater that can repair a Tesla. It's common practice across many industries to only use accredited repairers, I think that would need to be the scenario of any car maker offering a drop in product they can warranty.

Haakon

Apartment dwellers are a challenge for sure. Other countries are a bit better in ensuring street charging exists and/or strata managers install parking bay facilities. It’s still a small market, so another chicken/egg situation...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
To those looking at EV with skeptical eyes, we don't have any choice. We need to stop building & buying FF cars. The end.

Compromise is the new norm,

Unless we want to cook this planet to death.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Ev is great, but thousands of apartment and unit dwellers can't charge and commute. Our power grid is already stuffed in summer with everyone's and a rapidly growing population. Still plenty of us doing 800km+ a week and cnat afford to be having 20minute stops to recharge. EV China is prime example of where it isn't all that's cracked up to be. We hired ex staff member and the amount of recall work was crazy to him. He loves the brand but wouldn't touch one yet.
All are issues not beyond solving. The bulk of apartment dwellers should be using public transport. Of course needs infrastructure. Smart grids and charging infrastructure can help with those who still "need" to commute by car. Almost everything about a low carbon economy is infrastructure.

For transport workers moving physical stuff, charging once at lunch or if you're a tradie I'd give you my power point while you're on the job. The tech is there to drive 400km without stopping. Extreme cases might still need hybrids for some time, remote fieldwork etc. Wild guesstimate, 90% EV's for car and van/ute/small truck sized vehicle workers possible?

I was writing this as @hifiandmtb wrote the same thing in less detail. There aren't any excuses. Some bloke respectfully disagreed about CC with Midnight Oil on the Facey the other nite, I said it's no longer respectful to disagree.