Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
There were gov backed programs for conversions of some new model cars around 09. They cost a bit more than normal ones but we're subsidised. Most of them have given ten years of service. Roughly 7200 litres of petrol saved going from the mileage on the ones that pop up for sale now and then on AEVA. Most with these really early battery packs are struggling to get 70km or in various states of needing replacement, about 12-15k for another 10 years. Most of the dead packs end up being checked and either broken down and sold on if viable for use in home storage.

Local solar driven storage will help fix the apartment issue. With batteries that no longer work for EV''s.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
When I win lotto I’d like a Citroen DS with a Tesla drivetrain. Fusion of two significant game changing designs :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
There’s a roadster for the taking out near mars somewhere if you’ve got the means...
Haha! Only have the means if I win the lottery but darn they're fast, Tesla made an early one that was a hybrid in a lotus body but they weren't that great.

Haakon

Haha! Only have the means if I win the lottery but darn they're fast, Tesla made an early one that was a hybrid in a lotus body but they weren't that great.
That early roadster id have... Collectors item. Only ever seen one in the flesh in Hong Kong years ago, but damn they’re nice.

stirk

Burner
since everyone is dreaming.... I choose the DeLorean, fusion power is where it's at!!

One of the biggest problems we face is the technology gap between developed and non developed countries and how fast that gap can be closed to reduce waste and pollution. While small populations of wealthy lucky people who live in well off developed countries like Australia strive toward environmentally friendly options while the rest of the population runs old tech the masses in non developed countries are lining up to consume and billions of people don't give a shit I don't see....

Sigh, the car companies are not going to deliver something that is EV BHEVC, EVCD and will last decades like my old car or their sales targets go down.

Fuck it I'm buying stocks in lithium mines!

Haakon

since everyone is dreaming.... I choose the DeLorean, fusion power is where it's at!!

One of the biggest problems we face is the technology gap between developed and non developed countries and how fast that gap can be closed to reduce waste and pollution. While small populations of wealthy lucky people who live in well off developed countries like Australia strive toward environmentally friendly options while the rest of the population runs old tech the masses in non developed countries are lining up to consume and billions of people don't give a shit I don't see....

Sigh, the car companies are not going to deliver something that is EV BHEVC, EVCD and will last decades like my old car or their sales targets go down.

Haakon

Many developed countries skip the old tech we have. Like Africa going straight to mobile phones, many places go straight to micro grids of renewable electricity. Despite the bleating of the conservatives in this country, it’s not a moral imperative to give them the road we took with fossils...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

The article said:
Electric vehicle manufacturers have cited "range anxiety" as a major hurdle in the uptake of the cars in Australia, with a lack of public charging infrastructure holding back EV adoption.
Chargefox has already opened five ultra-rapid stations, including charging stations in Victoria on the Hume Freeway in Euroa and Barnawartha North, near Wodonga.

A further roll out of stations connecting Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, powered by renewable energy, including on-site solar, is likely to be completed over the coming year.
Nine sites will be built along the major NSW tourist routes on the east coast including from Gundagai, Goulburn, Sydney, Ballina, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Karuah, Cooma, and Shell Cove.

Sites in Adelaide and Keith, will attempt to link South Australia to Victoria, with new sites planned for Ballarat, Horsham and Moe.
Every site will have at least two parking bays equipped with 350kW capable Tritium and ABB chargers. Select sites will feature two additional Tritium 50kW chargers.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Does range anxiety trump end of a habitable planet anxiety?

Seems to.
It's the way the world seems to work, rather than wasting little time we have trying to convince them give them an incentive to change but our Government needs to drink it's own medicine also. I had the bloke from the fire ants program come around to spray some nests and he had a V8 diesel landcruiser ute, just why something so big for spraying fire ants.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Does range anxiety trump end of a habitable planet anxiety?

Seems to.
I get it. And I don't disagree. But, for some of us it's more than anxiety. There is simply not enough funds to afford a Tesla right now. Or multiple vehicles right now. They're are also not big enough for my chosen activities. Compromise? Sure, with what? Take a trailer? Reduces the range, and I can't guarantee there's a charger between here and Adelaide. Wall plug? Overnight stay with a family of 5, plus it's now a 2 day trip there, plus 2 days back for a 'weekend' away.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. Change needs to happen sooner rather than later. But there is a fair amount of us who don't yet have an option.

Haakon

I get it. And I don't disagree. But, for some of us it's more than anxiety. There is simply not enough funds to afford a Tesla right now. Or multiple vehicles right now. They're are also not big enough for my chosen activities. Compromise? Sure, with what? Take a trailer? Reduces the range, and I can't guarantee there's a charger between here and Adelaide. Wall plug? Overnight stay with a family of 5, plus it's now a 2 day trip there, plus 2 days back for a 'weekend' away.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. Change needs to happen sooner rather than later. But there is a fair amount of us who don't yet have an option.
You’ll be served by the market soon enough. But you’re part of a very small part of the market (ie rural) and so you’ll need to wait :)

Haakon

You’ll probably find yourself with a Hybrid Hilux first.