Electric Guitar

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
ROCK CITY! Hell yeah!
I must say also, that melodic second half of the solo where the drums go to the ride cymbal iz tha biz :) Nice one

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
Great to hear some old school progressions!
Nice stuff guys, get a gig in Newcastle/ Sydney and I'll be there in leather pants fo sho!

Loving it.

Matt H

Eats Squid
My AC30 and all my gear has been collecting dust in my parents house for 2 years since I moved out of home, but I finally got reunited a few weeks back.

Christ, I'm so rusty. No calluses, weak wrists and I've forgotten WAY too much stuff. I've been bitten hard by the guitar bug again, now its time to get back at my housemates for the obnoxiously loud Rick Ross that I've had too endure for far too long.

The amp does sound a little odd though, I have a feeling it might need new glass. Is there anywhere in brisbane that sells JJ tubes or am I better off online?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Thinking of selling my Ibanez Artcore AF105 and buying a Fender Jaguar. I found one online for $1200, a 1994/95 model built in Japan. What are people's thoughts on Japanese built Fenders, the price of this one, or Jaguars in general? I'm interested in the Jag because I'm keen to experiment with lots of different sounds and effects, a la Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, Radiohead, etc.

paulb

Likes Dirt
I think Sonic Youth play Jazzmasters? Fender have Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore signature models. Jazzmasters are normal (25.5) scale - Jaguars are short (24). Looks like the Artcore is half way between.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Thinking of selling my Ibanez Artcore AF105 and buying a Fender Jaguar. I found one online for $1200, a 1994/95 model built in Japan. What are people's thoughts on Japanese built Fenders, the price of this one, or Jaguars in general? I'm interested in the Jag because I'm keen to experiment with lots of different sounds and effects, a la Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, Radiohead, etc.
Fenders built in the 80s/90s from Japan are great! I've git a late 80s start and it's fantastic. The build quality has been argued by many as being superior to their American counterparts. 1200 isn't cheap, but it's not outrageous, the MIJ fenders are getting quite a following...

Elbo

I think Sonic Youth play Jazzmasters? Fender have Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore signature models. Jazzmasters are normal (25.5) scale - Jaguars are short (24). Looks like the Artcore is half way between.
Thanks for that Paul. I hadn't really thought about scale length. I like the Ibanez, but its very big and I want something to experiment with new-wave, grunge and surf sounds – I have lofty plans of building my own spring reverb :) The Ibanez is more suited to rock and roll, blues and jazz. I think I'd be happy to try a shorter scale and see what it sounds like.

Pity I didn't think about this earlier, Allans are having 20% storewide this weekend.

Fenders built in the 80s/90s from Japan are great! I've git a late 80s start and it's fantastic. The build quality has been argued by many as being superior to their American counterparts. 1200 isn't cheap, but it's not outrageous, the MIJ fenders are getting quite a following...
Thanks ajay, I thought they were considered to be quite good. I'll have a think about it and decide if I can part with my Ibanez, I think I could probably get $900-1000 for my Ibanez, so wouldn't be too much hassle swapping over.

ajay

Thanks ajay, I thought they were considered to be quite good. I'll have a think about it and decide if I can part with my Ibanez, I think I could probably get $900-1000 for my Ibanez, so wouldn't be too much hassle swapping over.
Yeah they're great, I got my strat for about $500, put some new pick ups in it and a nice steel blocked bridge, all up maybe $750, and it's the best strat I've played...

I had custom axe built ( see my avatar ) but had to sell it, now im talking to the builder about doing another one. It was such an amazing guitar. There seems to be an overly strong link people make between guitars and what genres they're useful for, the axe I had built by Peter Crossley defied all of those stigmas and made a guitar that could quite simply fit in any genre, whilst being better built, easier to play and modern ( unlink fenders that havent changed in 50 years ). But it comes with price tag... cheaper than top fender/gibson though, and much better... im rambling... :very_drunk:

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I just bought a MIJ (actually CIJ) Tele. First electric guit in many years. Awesome build quality. Recommended. It needed a little help in the setup dept, but that's no biggie. For a 10 year old guitar it has held up very well.

On another note, will be selling my mint condition Yamaha RGX421DM (PM me!). After years of playing acoustics almost exclusively, the neck was no longer compatible with my hands/fingers. When the bug bites... it bites hard.

Joy

Likes Dirt
It's been a while!

My Gary Kramer RR2 Meltdown arrived yesterday just in time to record the new De La Cruz (my band) album. This thing is amazing! I've played guitars worth 5x as much as this thing matches them in every way. It's a total shredder. Now my arsenal consists of this, a custom Ibanez RG and a Fender Strat. I'm also buying one of those DIY Build your own Guitar kits for some fun

http://www.garykramerguitar.com/meltdown.html

Everyone else been jamming? Any new music?

ajay

Looks great man!

Ive been playing heaps, just joined a band, hopefully get cranking shortly! Trying to record some more of my own material recently but too many ideas, not enough "press the red button" :yell:

Elbo

Just bought a Les Paul Jnr and got a good trade in on my Ibanez hollow-body.:bounce: Pick it up tomorrow, so excited!

Joy

Likes Dirt
Just bought a Les Paul Jnr and got a good trade in on my Ibanez hollow-body.:bounce: Pick it up tomorrow, so excited!
Rad! Post up some pics when you get it.

Ajay: that's the worst! when you have all these ideas but you end forgetting them later, or just not developing them the way you intended. So many pitfalls to digital recording haha

Elbo

Rad! Post up some pics when you get it.
This thing is amazing! I was torn between the Les Paul Junior and a 2003 Telecaster, but I think I made the right decision (if I had more money I would've got both!) this has more grunt/meatier tone and the body is more comfortable to me, and the single P90 pickup is more than enough! Has inspired me to learn again instead of just plateauing. I picked up an Ashton Viper50 amp as well, and an Epiphone hard case to suit the Les Paul. The amp is a 50W tube amp with 12" Celestion speaker, 2 channels, and built in reverb… love this thing too. Makes my 180W solid state Behringer bass amp sound like rubbish.

Last edited:

strezd

Likes Bikes
Nice guitar.
I love the Jnrs. Always wanted an SG Jr.
Ahh that minds me of this clip.
Some guy covering Jeff beck but its awesome. Reminds me of me ;)

[video=youtube;0pTGRzyWCEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTGRzyWCEs[/video]

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
nice Jnr, was considering getting one a while back but SWMBO decided 10 guitars and 5 amps was the place to draw the line in the sand.....

question from a Les Paul nerd, do you know what the neck profile is? 58-59 or 60's? the red is much more pleasant than TV Yellow.

also just a heads up that these had a neck bowing issue a few years ago, esp on the Billie Joe Armstrong model, so keep a keen eye out for it. as far as i know Gibson was replacing them without too much hassle.

otherwise, nice geetar!

Joy, can you guys please pull your fingers out and get that album out ?? ;) hella looking fwd to it!

Elbo

Thanks guys,

Sorry hdtvkss, not sure on the neck profile, all i know is its the Gibson 'rounded' profile. A bit of searching reveals most blurbs about these Jnrs say they mimic the late 50's neck profile. The model number is LPJ SCCH1, (this one built in 2009), if you want to do some more reading.

Yeah, I quite like the red, its nice to have a thin finish where you can see the wood grain. It should age nicely too.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye on the neck. I'm sure Gibson will back up their guitars if anything goes wrong!