Electric Guitar

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Multi scale fretboard ?

Aren't all fretboards " multi scale" ?
The scale is the length of the string, so the longer the string, the more fret real estate forward and behind the 12th fret. So when each string is longer as you move down from your High E, the fret board effectively increases in size - hence the 'fan' fret board.

Why?

It's to do with tone, intonation and ergonomics - and it looks rad :mullet:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That fretboard is a freaky thing to look at!

Multi scale fretboard ?

Aren't all fretboards " multi scale" ?
No. If you look at a standard fretboard, all the frets & the nut are parallel & at right angles across the neck. In theory the bridge would also be the same, giving the same scale length for all strings, but in reality it's set back slightly to the bass end to compensate for the heavier strings. Look closely at that multi scale fretboard, if you can handle having your mind bent by the visual effect, and you'll notice the nut and bridge are angled sharply away from each other towards the bass end, with all the frets angled to suit. Each string has a distinctly different scale length, hence "multi scale" fretboard.

Last edited:
Yeah I get it, I was thinking of the other type of scale, not the vibrating length of the string.

I accept it can be done (derp derp), as to the benefits to tone and intonation, well I guess I've heard a lot of guitarists achieve a great tone on "single scale" guitars.........

As for playability, without having played one I suspect my old fingers likes their frets straight, not on an angle.

ajay

Yeah I get it, I was thinking of the other type of scale, not the vibrating length of the string.

I accept it can be done (derp derp), as to the benefits to tone and intonation, well I guess I've heard a lot of guitarists achieve a great tone on "single scale" guitars.........

As for playability, without having played one I suspect my old fingers likes their frets straight, not on an angle.
For sure, Dave Gilmour will always sound better than me. But we like guitar nerdery... :p

dej

Likes Bikes
Here's a multiscale

Would like to try one, one day..
I fractured my knuckle on fretting hand 4 weeks ago:( have been in a splint for 4 weeks now with another 2 to go.
Just started playing guitar again during the week, cant bend my pinky very well and theres next to zero sideways movement. playing any leads is out of the question and some chords are painful (especially quick chord changes).
I recommend not fracturing knuckles:)
Been playing 26 years now and this is the longest I've gone without playing. Even when travelling OS for holidays ive managed to play a guitar somewhere

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Here's some music room guitary drummy stuff at my place.

Since pulling the pin on gigging, I'm mainly playing the acoustic in the pic... a handmade cedar over koa I bought of a luthier in Saigon... love it.

Attachments

ajay

Here's a multiscale

Would like to try one, one day..
I fractured my knuckle on fretting hand 4 weeks ago:( have been in a splint for 4 weeks now with another 2 to go.
Just started playing guitar again during the week, cant bend my pinky very well and theres next to zero sideways movement. playing any leads is out of the question and some chords are painful (especially quick chord changes).
I recommend not fracturing knuckles:)
Been playing 26 years now and this is the longest I've gone without playing. Even when travelling OS for holidays ive managed to play a guitar somewhere
Ah that sucks mate! Touch wood, ive never had an injury to my hands that has stopped me playing. Sounds like a good opportunity to get some right hand chops going!

That ormsby is so nice, the custom version of what mine is based on - the SX. Check out his copper topped Hype. Beyond ridiculous.

ajay

I like Gilmour's playing, but he plays through a billion dollars worth of effects, I don't really consider him a tone master in the true sense, has a great sound though
Tone... it's a deep, subjective rabit hole....

For me, the guy who opitomises great tone, is Scott Henderson. Its monstrous, delicate, so punchy and dynamic. Goes through a rack that you could fit in your overhead luggage . Check him out if you haven't already. His later bluesy stuff is magic.

.dan.

Likes Dirt
I like Gilmour's playing, but he plays through a billion dollars worth of effects, I don't really consider him a tone master in the true sense, has a great sound though
Just because he plays through a shit-tonne of effects doesn't mean he can't be a master of tone. Could you imagine what Animals would have sounded like if he didn't use a Big Muff, an Electric Mistress or a Binson Echorec? If everyone just played straight into an overdriven amp and didn't experiment with effects the world of experimental music would be much more boring. I have 17 pedals on my pedalboard, but I actually try to use them all to some degree of potential. The best example I can think of, of someone who uses effects and miscellaneous bits of equipment to achieve sought after original tones and out there sounds is Robert Fripp of King Crimson. Whether it be his Big Muff lead tone from the 70's, His guitar synth work on the Discipline album, or his many ambient works, I really couldn't imagine how his work would have sounded had he had that attitude towards effects. Same goes for Steve Hackett.

For me, the guy who opitomises great tone, is Scott Henderson. Its monstrous, delicate, so punchy and dynamic. Goes through a rack that you could fit in your overhead luggage . Check him out if you haven't already. His later bluesy stuff is magic.
Just checked him out, never heard of him before. His playing is more than impressive to say the least. I like his use of the whammy bar, uses it as an expressive tool without making his playing sound wanky.

ajay

Just checked him out, never heard of him before. His playing is more than impressive to say the least. I like his use of the whammy bar, uses it as an expressive tool without making his playing sound wanky.
Glad you liked it!
I remember him saying that his whammy bar usage is in lieu of his inability to play decent slide guitar! He's certainly mastered it though!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually Gilmour plays through pretty ordinary effects MXR stuff, Electroharmonix and I have seen BOSS stuff etc as well. He has them mounted in a Pete Cornish rack that is for controlling them rather than having them on the stage in front of him. Pretty pedestrian stuff (I know these things are worth a lot nowdays on the retro market but dime a dozen stuff in the 70s and 80s).

He is actually very tasty with his effects and isn't a switch them all on type of guy... really its good amps, good guitars, a pedal or two and those fingers of a legend.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Actually Gilmour plays through pretty ordinary effects MXR stuff, Electroharmonix and I have seen BOSS stuff etc as well. He has them mounted in a Pete Cornish rack that is for controlling them rather than having them on the stage in front of him. Pretty pedestrian stuff (I know these things are worth a lot nowdays on the retro market but dime a dozen stuff in the 70s and 80s).

He is actually very tasty with his effects and isn't a switch them all on type of guy... really its good amps, good guitars, a pedal or two and those fingers of a legend.
And as described by "Dark Side..." engineer Alan Parsons, "wall-shaking volume".

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
plenty don't rely on volume or pedals to hide the sins of poor technique
Admittedly some use loud volume, some use low and some use heaps of effects and some use none. Implying there is some moral value, or I assume an implied greater quality, of any particular approach is meaningless.

Technique is an not an end in itself but a means to an end (quoting Fripp I think) and whatever that technique, whether "correct" schooled technique or whether hitting the strings with sticks on an untuned guitar to get a musical statement out is the means to that end.

I am yet to imagine any truth in the idea that any musician would somehow try hide some feeling of weakness in their technique behind extra volume (thereby making it more obvious) or effects. They may however use these devices as a method of creating their music however which is a very different intent.

(Its a bee in my bonnet from people saying this about Hendrix when I was a kid so excuse my spew)

Last edited:
Admittedly some use loud volume, some use low and some use heaps of effects and some use none. Implying there is some moral value, or I assume an implied greater quality, of any particular approach is meaningless.

Technique is an not an end in itself but a means to an end (quoting Fripp I think) and whatever that technique, whether "correct" schooled technique or whether hitting the strings with sticks on an untuned guitar to get a musical statement out is the means to that end.

I am yet to imagine any truth in the idea that any musician would somehow try hide some feeling of weakness in their technique behind extra volume (thereby making it more obvious) or effects. They may however use these devices as a method of creating their music however which is a very different intent.

(Its a bee in my bonnet from people saying this about Hendrix when I was a kid so excuse my spew)
In my opinion The Edge is a classic example of a guy who drowns his playing in effects to hide his inadequacies both technically and in regards to versatility that become painfully obvious towards the end of that documentary? with jimmy page and jack white.