Electric Guitar

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my opinion The Edge is a classic example of a guy who drowns his playing in effects to hide his inadequacies both technically and in regards to versatility that become painfully obvious towards the end of that documentary? with jimmy page and jack white.
You are trying to hit all my buttons aren't you?

The Edge can't play well in most traditional senses and if he tries it really shows... his Zoo TV guitar solo in Bullet The Blue Sky a case in point (oh and Rattle and Hum, Lovetown tour etc etc etc). What Edge does best is play Edge guitar brilliantly. Coming out of the 70s and bands like Can and Television his playing was simple and he discovered an Echo unit which made things sound big. You don't overplay with an echo unit because it sounds like mush. Up until Achtung Baby his playing was essentially a memory man echo unit, occasional distortion and a Vox Ac30... nothing too flash. He with his simplicity developed his own Edge technique that sounded huge and exciting but ignoring conventional guitar techniques. Stuff like Electric Co or most of the Red Rocks show for Under a Blood Red Sky sounds amazing... take away the echo and it wouldn't sound amazing but who cares, soumds amazing with it?

In "it Might Get Loud" Jimmy Page makes them both look lamish, but Jimmy was a hell of a technician and amazing artist who created much of the rock guitar vocabulary. Edge is someone who has avoided the standard rock vocabulary and Jack White is a song writer and someone who has mutated his style from much early rock and delta type blues. Conventionally those two look poor compared to Pagey but they have both created their own greatness in their own way.

....and to me Edge's guitar line for "Bad" in that doco shows how super simple can create something amazing.... then check out U2 playing "Bad" from Live Aid where magic truly happened at a very big show. Crap guitarist creating music that powerfully... music wins.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
plenty don't rely on volume or pedals to hide the sins of poor technique
Shots fired!!

Really though, more volume will just make your mistakes louder.

Effects like gating/compression can cover poor technique (inability to control dynamics, letting strings ring out unintentionally etc). Even then, who really cares. It's an electric guitar... everyone who plays one uses something to manipulate the sound, even its just a preamp. Some guys do the whole effects/layering thing really well, others don't, and likewise with those who just plug into an amp, some sound great, others terrible. Rejoice in the fact that we're not confined to 88 notes that always sound the same.

Any positive things that I may (or may not) say about The Edge are quashed by being associated with Bono.

Have a listen something distinctly NOT The Edge :D

[video=youtube;jHb2UGIYzPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHb2UGIYzPM[/video]

Shots fired!!

Really though, more volume will just make your mistakes louder.

Effects like gating/compression can cover poor technique (inability to control dynamics, letting strings ring out unintentionally etc). Even then, who really cares. It's an electric guitar... everyone who plays one uses something to manipulate the sound, even its just a preamp. Some guys do the whole effects/layering thing really well, others don't, and likewise with those who just plug into an amp, some sound great, others terrible. Rejoice in the fact that we're not confined to 88 notes that always sound the same.
Yeah, I'm just fishing for a reaction mostly :kev::kev:

But I really can't stand that Edge hoax:behindsofa::

Let's have a llama :llama:

slowmick

38-39"
ajay - do you like Marty Friedman? I love the stuff he did with Megadeth. didn't realise the feel he had till i listened to Chris Broderick play his stuff. worlds apart.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I'm just fishing for a reaction mostly :kev::kev:

But I really can't stand that Edge hoax:behindsofa::
There is a great quote from Julian Cope, "It used to be enough to know U2 were crap, but now you need to know why?". U2 is a love hate relationship even for an old fan.

ajay

ajay - do you like Marty Friedman? I love the stuff he did with Megadeth. didn't realise the feel he had till i listened to Chris Broderick play his stuff. worlds apart.
Yeah mate, not a huge fan of megadeth (I do enjoy a couple of albums) but Marty is great. His playing on countdown to extinction was awesome. Has he done solo/other stuff?

Last edited:

ajay

Anyone got a new toy?

I picked up this Japanese '81 Ibanez AS100 a few weeks ago. Been hunting for one of these for years. Its every bit as awesome as I'd hoped!

Attachments

dej

Likes Bikes
Anyone got a new toy?
few months ago bought a Seagul S6 acoustic. First acoustic i've ever owned in my ~28 years of playing:)
20170211_144127.jpg
I mate has an S6 cedar cutaway which i tried to buy off him years ago but he wouldnt sell:( They're a nice and easy guitar to play. Got mine second hand from acoustic centre in melb. My electrics have been very much neglected since buying the acoustic, i'm turning into an old man:(

Apart from that, i think since i last posted i bought a boss gt100 floorboard and i've been thinking of getting a boss katana 100 combo and seeing if there's any decent bands around to join. It's been ~3 years since i finished up with the last band and i've been getting the urge to get out and play live again

I've been playing since I was 14, I was never very good and there were / are massive gaps in my knowledge, I can no longer see any point in learning any more or bothering to get better.

Lucky my boy has taken up playing otherwise all my stuff would just be lying around unused.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Anyone got a new toy?

I picked up this Japanese '81 Ibanez AS100 a few weeks ago. Been hunting for one of these for years. Its every bit as awesome as I'd hoped!
New Guitar Day is always good... I like it.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
few months ago bought a Seagul S6 acoustic. First acoustic i've ever owned in my ~28 years of playing:)
I have become acoustic mad too, after I bought this handmade cedar over koa fingerstyle guitar in Saigon... it is fantastic. My electrics are languishing.

Attachments

Logic

Likes Dirt
thought I'd get some advice from some fellow burners.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 3 years now, during that time I have not really improved much (I've had friends that are already better than me after playing for 6 months).

Problem is I can never seem to fully learn a song, I always get realllly into it and then completely lose interest after the first couple of days. It makes me feel like I haven't really improved at all. I don't know how to keep the motivation up to keep practicing, even though I would LOVE to play in a metal band and spend hours a day (literally) marverlling at how I would love to play like (Insert amazing guitarist here).

has anyone experienced what I experience, is it something that eventually goes away over time?

Maybe it isn't for me.

EDIT: I'm self-taught as my school guitar teacher was useless

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think the hard question you have to ask yourself is, "do I *really* want to do it?" If the answer to that is "yes", then you just have to knuckle down and accept that it's not going to happen quickly, and patience is key. If time is a constraint among other things, try to set yourself just a little bit of time each day, and just work on a few phrases each session, gradually stringing them all together. Finally the simple fact is that most of us can't play like (insert guitar heroes here) no matter how hard we try, so as long as we set realistic goals for ourselves we can have fun trying.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thought I'd get some advice from some fellow burners.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 3 years now, during that time I have not really improved much (I've had friends that are already better than me after playing for 6 months).

Problem is I can never seem to fully learn a song, I always get realllly into it and then completely lose interest after the first couple of days. It makes me feel like I haven't really improved at all. I don't know how to keep the motivation up to keep practicing, even though I would LOVE to play in a metal band and spend hours a day (literally) marverlling at how I would love to play like (Insert amazing guitarist here).
Playing with other people really defines what "playing a song" can mean. I have a friend learning who can't get through a song because he tries to get too detailed and precise and ends up falling short and giving up. Playing with others squeezes the music out and also really shows you where you are lacking.

Further a lot of music is ensemble playing and if you play some of the parts by themselves they sound like nothing even if they are integral to the song. However playing a whole song solo can require considerable ability to juggle and keep all the elements such that it becomes music.

If you can't find others to play with record yourself on your phone and play with that and see what you can put together.. hearing yourself in that way makes a big difference. Trying to get the music out is the important thing. Having spent years playing really complex technical music it can be a real eye opener to see can be done with just an open D, G and C chord!

Logic

Likes Dirt
Playing with other people really defines what "playing a song" can mean. I have a friend learning who can't get through a song because he tries to get too detailed and precise and ends up falling short and giving up. Playing with others squeezes the music out and also really shows you where you are lacking.

Further a lot of music is ensemble playing and if you play some of the parts by themselves they sound like nothing even if they are integral to the song. However playing a whole song solo can require considerable ability to juggle and keep all the elements such that it becomes music.

If you can't find others to play with record yourself on your phone and play with that and see what you can put together.. hearing yourself in that way makes a big difference. Trying to get the music out is the important thing. Having spent years playing really complex technical music it can be a real eye opener to see can be done with just an open D, G and C chord!
Wow, yeah I can completely agree with what you are saying there. I think I am a bit of a perfectionist and therefor makes me get frustrated quite easily if it doesn't sound good enough. I will try out that idea you suggested about recording myself and playing along with it, sounds like it could help!

I appreciate your advice dude! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Following on from this point, a lot of recorded music has multiple layers of overdubbed parts, which adds to the difficulty of trying to play and replicate it yourself. Some of the Led Zeppelin stuff I try (badly) to get around has about 15 different parts interwoven, so it's a battle just to work out what to actually play out of it all!

If you've got the equipment, what you can do to thicken the sound is double-amping; having two amps, with the guitar plugged into the primary, and if that amp has a "line out" jack, run a lead from that into a second amp, with any effects in between. So have your primary amp set to a clean or lightly distorted tone, and chuck an overdrive pedal in between to boot the second amp..... And if you've got a bit of space to set up in & separate the amps, you can get a slightly delayed double-tracked sound too. :wink: