Electric Guitar

Matt H

Eats Squid
I had a play on one of them for shits and giggles at my local guitar shop...

*insert spewing emoticon*

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Matt, I was about to say something to the same extent.

Just look at it, it doesn't even have a wooden body!
0.5 second clean sustain, anyone?
Slight exaggeration, but yeah, that thing sucked balls.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Heh, especially seeing I'm used to playing hollowbodies, when I first strummed it I had to check if he left the price tag on the strings :rolleyes:

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I thought maybe the nut was just a crappy one for a few seconds, and then I'm like.. wait, I can see the shitty factory wiring inside this thing.
*Puts back on stand as at least 5 people go past and say:

"Wow, if I ever played guitar, I'd want that one, that's so cooool!"

heath_92

Banned
I want one:

The ultimate in angry white boy metal guitars :cool:
My mate has one of them, he is massively spoilt and gets one each year from mummy and daddy. It sounds like one of those aldi ones you get with a seven watt amp for $12.

I've been through cheap guitars and they are seriously not worth the money if you wanna play a bit. I wouldn't go lower that $500 for one no matter how long it takes for you to save it.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I dont buy into that shit. What you play says alot more about who you are....
I understand that. I meant in a more musical sense (of who you are). If you see someone pull out a Jackson RR5 it's pretty safe to assume that that person is into metal, no? Like i said, it's not ideal to have these assumptions, but it's pretty stupid to deny the fact that they exist.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I understand that. I meant in a more musical sense (of who you are). If you see someone pull out a Jackson RR5 it's pretty safe to assume that that person is into metal, no? Like i said, it's not ideal to have these assumptions, but it's pretty stupid to deny the fact that they exist.
Yeah point taken, but I as I said, i dont buy into it. i dont take notice of what guitars people play. Sometimes you get surprised... I went to a blues fusion gig (not knowing it was that until I heard em play). The guitar player walked out with an Ibanez Jem - the full Vai model, U.S made, all the tricky inlay etc - I know you know the model ;) Anyway, given that he had that guitar, you could be forgiven for thinking that he would come out shredding. On the contrary He played some of the sweetest blues Ive ever heard... completely breaking out of the stigma that is attatched to people who play those guitars!

Anyway, yeah it does exist, no I dont give a shit.

I saw Dwezil and Vai tonight.... cop that shit!:p

|Matt|

Banned
I just bought the GAX30, a Peavy 158 amp, stand, gig bag and pick and lead for $150. A mate came round and helped me and I can play a bit of Zebra by the John Butler Trio, and the intro to Smoke on the Water.

Gonna take a while, but I'm glad I bought it.

Thanks everyone.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Nice Matt, be sure to get those hammers going in zebra, you will find this to be a key skill to learn, so the earlier the better!

|Matt|

Banned
Bit of a dig...but...

Its going well. I can play the Trooper by Iron Maiden up until when the vocals start and then I can't be bothered learning the rest cos the best part is over...

Does anyone have a tab for The End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage that they tabbed themself? The ones on the internet are shit, very inaccurate. I'd tab myself but I can't!

If someone has the tab/wants to tab it for me I'd be very appreciative!

By the way my mates selling me his Peavey Bandit 112 80 watt amp for 300 bucks, is that good? Do they have sweet distortion?

Matt H

Eats Squid
Yeah that's not really a bad price, I'm sure it'll cover the sounds you're after as well...

If you're not happy with the distortion, just get a Boss OD-1 or SD-1, they're not too expensive and they'll get your tone as hairy as you want it.

|Matt|

Banned
Thanks for the lessons, but I think I'm somewhat established now....but I'll still check em out.

I can play quite a lot of stuff now, just need the tab for The End of Heartache. I learned about 3/4 of the song with the wrong tab, so I'm pretty pissed about that...

Matt H

Eats Squid
If all else fails, guess and check. I don't know the song but just muck around and try and find it without a tab...

woodys1

Cannon Fodder
easy guitar

I'm thinking of starting to learn the electric guitar.

I'm almost 17, is it too late to learn from scratch?

Lessons aren't really an option, can't afford them and don't have time for them. Can I teach myself? Any books? Websites?

Whats a price for a half decent but not bank breaking electric guitar and amp? New? Second hand?

mate i learned guitar myself at the age of 20 been playing ever since I learned from the book easy guitar you can pick this book up in any good guitar shop it has all the chords in a small display above the song on every change simple stuff

Schism

Likes Bikes
Regarding tabs for the killswitch song, I dont know what website/s you have checked out but I find that www.ultimate-guitar.com has some quite good tabs with peer ratings so you can see which ones are crap and which are alright. Also some tabs dont state what tuning the tabs are in, so you could be playing it in normal tuning when it is actually in drop C etc.

Good luck with your guitar playing....

|Matt|

Banned
Regarding tabs for the killswitch song, I dont know what website/s you have checked out but I find that www.ultimate-guitar.com has some quite good tabs with peer ratings so you can see which ones are crap and which are alright. Also some tabs dont state what tuning the tabs are in, so you could be playing it in normal tuning when it is actually in drop C etc.

Good luck with your guitar playing....
Yeah I looked at that site and nah I know that Killswitch use Drop C. I'm extremely familiar with a lot of guitar terminology and general knowledge, but thanks!

My mate is a whiz at guitar and is gonna tab it for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfeKip-mpU0

Thats him.