EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Now I'm just annoyed. CX's shat themselves a few weeks after my first post here. Did this odd thing where one side was slowly but surely getting weaker and weaker until eventually it cut out altogether. So I went without for a while (I can't afford $70-80 every few months just for headphones) and about a fortnight ago I really wanted my music back so I got another set of TDK's from JB, my reasoning being that the last set might've been a bad example. Wrong. Get about a week outta them, then one side dropped almost instantly.

So again I'm after some suggestions for durable in ear headphones. Had a look at the Sonys dcrofty, but they're not the in ear type. Might try a set of Sonys in ears if no-one else has any suggestions. Anyone else as hard on their headphones?
I had my first pair of CX300II die after almost two years of use in pretty much the same fashion as yours. I did a heap of research in regards to a durable in ear phone that wasn't going to break the bank. I ended up buying another set from JB.
They may not be the ultimate in sound or anything, but for the price they can't really be beat.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
The CX jack is shockingly bad. If you pull the cable vertically away from the jack, it snaps the 'spine' disconnecting the left channel. I soldered on a new jack and it was fine.

The best jack I've come across now is the Ultimate Ears jack. Nice, small, great if your player sits in a pocket. I'll recommend the Metro 170 or 220. Not badly priced, decent sound quality and a more likeable frequency response than some of the overly bassy CXs.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
:mad::mad::mad: Just bought a pair of Nixon headphones got home, had them on and knelt down, not sure if this has happened to anyone else but the cord went underneath my knee and as I got up I heard a strange noise and now they don't work, I think it came apart where the single cable urns into two within a little rubber case, is this type of thing fixable? I've got a soldering iron etc

I had them on for five minutes ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blythy

Likes Dirt
:mad::mad::mad: Just bought a pair of Nixon headphones got home, had them on and knelt down, not sure if this has happened to anyone else but the cord went underneath my knee and as I got up I heard a strange noise and now they don't work, I think it came apart where the single cable urns into two within a little rubber case, is this type of thing fixable? I've got a soldering iron etc

no way. dont go and try fix them if thier still under warranty. get a refund or a new set under warranty :)

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!

Shit mate that fucking sucks! I thought these kinda things only happened to me, guess not
Go warranty styles on those bad boys. I'm keen to hear a review as well.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got my skull candy in ear headphones.
Look the goods, only thing thats odd about them is the larger headphone unit (where the speakers are) however they're still supprisingly light and you don't notice the size.

+1 for Skullcandy!

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Noise Cancelling Headphones

I am soon to be flying twice a week on a turboprop aircraft. I have used my normal iPod ear buds on the flight before and needed to turn it up to nearly full to hear over the din, which is not good for the ears.

Anybody got any experience with any? I was thinking BOSE but am not convinced.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I am soon to be flying twice a week on a turboprop aircraft. I have used my normal iPod ear buds on the flight before and needed to turn it up to nearly full to hear over the din, which is not good for the ears.

Anybody got any experience with any? I was thinking BOSE but am not convinced.
Heya,

I have Sony noise cancelling earbuds. They do work, and make the journey a bit more relaxing, but I'm not sure they're worth the $100 I spent on them.

One thing to remember with earbuds, is that if you have a good seal between the earbud and your ear, you may suffer discomfort from pressure building up within your ear canal as the plane changes altitude. I get this and have to pull the earbuds out and put them back in when climbing or descending. I doubt you would have this problem with headphones.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Could you use a set of ear muffs and just put them over the top of your current buds? Save some cash I guess.

Likes Dirt
If you're willing to pay for them, BOSE Quietcomfort 15s are great!
Although admittedly the collection of accompanying business cards for handing out to onlookers is a bit of a wank...

Attachments

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got these Sonys

They were the only pair around $150 that seemed any good, after that you're around $300 for the Panasonics and Sennheisers. I've owned a cheaper set before (Optimus branded Tandy jobs) and the Sonys are better. You can still hear the plane on a 747 but on an a380 there's almost no plane sound. It does make it heaps easier to watch movies and listen to the iPod.
Only complaint is they sit on your ear, not over it - so after 8-9 hours your ears do ache a little. RRP is $150 but haggling down to $120 wasn't hard as I bought 2 pairs.

I have borrowed a set of Bose QuietComfort in the past and they are awesome. They sit right over your ears so there's nothing pressing on them at all. I just couldn't justify the $500+ each for the Bose as I needed two sets.

I have also heard really good things about Audio Technica but didn't have time to wait to order a set from overseas.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Shure SE 210's. I fly pretty frequently and these are fantastic. I have tried similar Ultimate Ears, sennheisers and Etymotic and the Shure SE210's won hands down. I much prefer the in ear style as you don't need batteries like you do to power the over the ear type headphones.

I've used the sony in-ear type on turbo prop flights and they take out probably 75% of the noise but you'll never get rid of that annoying turbo prop drone completely, It sorta just resonates through everything.

fairy1

Banned
I'd go for an over the ear type headphone if you can afford one, the in ear type like the Sures previously mentioned work but don't sound as good as a full sized on ear headphone.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
fairy1 said:
I'd go for an over the ear type headphone if you can afford one, the in ear type like the Sures previously mentioned work but don't sound as good as a full sized on ear headphone.
I'd debate that when comparing noise cancelling/isolating headphones.
Each have different qualities but a few of my friends who also travel a lot have switched from over ear to canal type and also say they are superior. You do need to get a good seal with the canal type and use the correct tips for your ear but after a bit of practice they sound deep and full bodied.
Apart from the bulk of the active over eared headphones, when the batteries are flat you have a useless noise cancelling headphone.
The over ear ones do a fair job of cancelling constant noises like engine drones but are not as great at cancelling other passengers speech. The active type rely on responding to outside noise and sending an out of phase signal of that same noise into your ear to cancel it out. When the noise is constant they work fine but when that noise is constantly changing they dont quite react fast enough allowing a fair amount of the noise in.