Derby in Tassi

moorey

call me Mia
Finish with a lap down Return to sender too really finish the day off, so lucky I live close by! Taking a mate from NSW for a blue tier / Atlas ride tomorrow
Lucky chunt! Is return to sender one of the tracks on the main hill? Was there for 3 days earlier in the year, but don't remember that one.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Lucky chunt! Is return to sender one of the tracks on the main hill? Was there for 3 days earlier in the year, but don't remember that one.
It's one of the new trails which can be shuttled directly out of Derby to the black stump drop off if you don't want to pedal up. There are a couple of other trails (Black stump into shearpin into 23 stiches and Flickity sticks upper into lower flickity as well as return to sender) from that point that are super fun and well worth riding of you have the time and energy. Happy days.

EMF

Eats Squid
mind blowing

It's one of the new trails which can be shuttled directly out of Derby to the black stump drop off if you don't want to pedal up. There are a couple of other trails (Black stump into shearpin into 23 stiches and Flickity sticks upper into lower flickity as well as return to sender) from that point that are super fun and well worth riding of you have the time and energy. Happy days.
Upper Flickity one hell of a ride then finish yourself off on the classic Flickity

Although private shuttles ain't allowed - anymore ?:washing:

rstim

Likes Dirt
Upper Flickity one hell of a ride then finish yourself off on the classic Flickity

Although private shuttles ain't allowed - anymore ?:washing:
It's a public road they can't legally stop private shuttles but the road is narrow and rough so passing can be difficult. Upper flickity into 23 stiches is also a winner.

EMF

Eats Squid
Public property

It's a public road they can't legally stop private shuttles but the road is narrow and rough so passing can be difficult. Upper flickity into 23 stiches is also a winner.
True that is being public till council deem it private residents only

Hence why Glen put in a return to the top trail

rstim

Likes Dirt
True that is being public till council deem it private residents only

Hence why Glen put in a return to the top trail

This is the sign they have erected so doesn't say you can't. But shuttle prices aren't to bad anyway and some of the money goes back into trail maintenance anyway.

EMF

Eats Squid
Live data

This is the sign they have erected so doesn't say you can't. But shuttle prices aren't to bad anyway and some of the money goes back into trail maintenance anyway.
Cheers for that

Nice to know us oldies are still welcome when the bodies fail on the ups

See you next year Derby

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'll be back there for just one day, shuttling atlas and blue tier with my boy on the 14th Feb. Tad stoked :behindsofa:
The whole Blue Tier is easily done with kids with average skill level.

The day I did it had pretty heavy rain a couple of days before, but was an awesome sunny day both the day we arrived and the day before... when we got to the bottom, there was signs saying that Blue Tier was closed !!! I spoke to a bloke in Vertigo and explained that I had just done it and there was no signs anywhere, they said there was only signs in the town and no scheduled shuttles up there... but nothing at the top. Was a bit soft on the top couple of k's where its flattish, but the rest of it was sweet.

Would probably have been disappointed if I had of went into Derby and seen it was closed as I always adhere to trail closures. Maybe lucky we were short on time and I shuttled straight from Branxholm.

moorey

call me Mia
The whole Blue Tier is easily done with kids with average skill level.

The day I did it had pretty heavy rain a couple of days before, but was an awesome sunny day both the day we arrived and the day before... when we got to the bottom, there was signs saying that Blue Tier was closed !!! I spoke to a bloke in Vertigo and explained that I had just done it and there was no signs anywhere, they said there was only signs in the town and no scheduled shuttles up there... but nothing at the top. Was a bit soft on the top couple of k's where its flattish, but the rest of it was sweet.

Would probably have been disappointed if I had of went into Derby and seen it was closed as I always adhere to trail closures. Maybe lucky we were short on time and I shuttled straight from Branxholm.
Cheers. He's 11, but rides as well as any decent adult. He's done a few DH races, all the Buller tracks, most of the Youies DH runs, and ridden the full epic loop at Buller. It's ME you should be worried about. :behindsofa:

leight

Likes Bikes
Big Chook shuttle point?

Does anyone know if Big Chook is able to be privately shuttled? Here in Derby today and shuttled Return to sender and Upper/Lower flickity sticks. Great additions to what we rode here last year.
We went up Emu rd from Welborough pub today but it dead ends at private property...just wondering how the top of Big Chook/ Blue Tier is accessed? Cheers

rstim

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if Big Chook is able to be privately shuttled? Here in Derby today and shuttled Return to sender and Upper/Lower flickity sticks. Great additions to what we rode here last year.
We went up Emu rd from Welborough pub today but it dead ends at private property...just wondering how the top of Big Chook/ Blue Tier is accessed? Cheers
It can be privately shuttled but will be a bit of a mission if you don't know where you are going. You actually have to turn off in Moorina well before you get to weldborough not a quick shuttle at all considering you will need to be picked up back at Weldborough. Or the alternative is to just ride up from where you hit the dead end, it's definately not a fun climb up the old emu road (2.4km) but well worth it when you get there.
If you want more details on the shuttle point let me know.

leight

Likes Bikes
It can be privately shuttled but will be a bit of a mission if you don't know where you are going. You actually have to turn off in Moorina well before you get to weldborough not a quick shuttle at all considering you will need to be picked up back at Weldborough. Or the alternative is to just ride up from where you hit the dead end, it's definately not a fun climb up the old emu road (2.4km) but well worth it when you get there.
If you want more details on the shuttle point let me know.
Thanks rstim, We've more or less decided to do a shuttle with Vertigo for our first run but would love to have the shuttle details too for later in the week. Appreciate your help

rstim

Likes Dirt
Thanks rstim, We've more or less decided to do a shuttle with Vertigo for our first run but would love to have the shuttle details too for later in the week. Appreciate your help
If your shuttling big chook with vertigo just take note of where you turn off and you should be good. If your going to shuttle big chook you might as well shuttle blue tier instead I reckon you get to ride blue tier plus the best of big chook.

leight

Likes Bikes
If your shuttling big chook with vertigo just take note of where you turn off and you should be good. If your going to shuttle big chook you might as well shuttle blue tier instead I reckon you get to ride blue tier plus the best of big chook.
Sweet, just looking on the map, is Frome rd the one to take out of Moorina? Looks like it connects up with Emu Rd further up. Have a dedicated shuttle driver so maybe we'll wing it and explore ourselves...

rstim

Likes Dirt
Sweet, just looking on the map, is Frome rd the one to take out of Moorina? Looks like it connects up with Emu Rd further up. Have a dedicated shuttle driver so maybe we'll wing it and explore ourselves...
Yeah that's the road if you have a driver then you should be all good. The photo I have attached is a screenshot of a PDF that can be downloaded from here http://bus2berms.net.au/ride-suggestions, Have fun and the blue tier is a must ride!

rstim

Likes Dirt
Thanks again for your help mate We'll definitely do Blue Tier as well then. Merry xmas
Not a problem at all. My pick would be shuttle blue tier lunch at the Weldborough pub then shuttle to the top of Atlas happy days

moorey

call me Mia
I'm all for free shuttles, but let us not forget why Blue Derby is there. Are we helping by driving in, self shuttling, and driving home? I, for one, am happy to pay Buck etc for their very very reasonably priced services, and support to town. Just sayin.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm all for free shuttles, but let us not forget why Blue Derby is there. Are we helping by driving in, self shuttling, and driving home? I, for one, am happy to pay Buck etc for their very very reasonably priced services, and support to town. Just sayin.
Im with you Moorey. Fair enough if you're a local and ride there frequently, but without tourism dollars these services/trails die off.

Don't be a tight arse.... if you're there for a couple of days only, pay for the shuttles.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Looks like there's an outside chance for myself to hit up Derby in the 3rd week of January if I can make a space in a family trip. However, only bike available will be my Twinzer which is an XC steel framed hardtail with 100 mm travel. And the rider is even less technically capable!

Anyone have suggestions which tracks I should target for a half day XC experience or should I not even bother until I return with more time, more bike and more skills?