Derby in Tassi

moorey

call me Mia
Im with you Moorey. Fair enough if you're a local and ride there frequently, but without tourism dollars these services/trails die off.

Don't be a tight arse.... if you're there for a couple of days only, pay for the shuttles.
And the accommodation...and eat at the cafes/pubs. The more the town recovers and tourism booms, the more infrastructure they will put in.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Looks like there's an outside chance for myself to hit up Derby in the 3rd week of January if I can make a space in a family trip. However, only bike available will be my Twinzer which is an XC steel framed hardtail with 100 mm travel. And the rider is even less technically capable!

Anyone have suggestions which tracks I should target for a half day XC experience or should I not even bother until I return with more time, more bike and more skills?
You could always rent a Spesh Stumpy from Vertigo for a half day?
I've never ridden there so can't comment on how you'd go on an XC rig, but would be a shame to be so close and not get out for a pedal.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like there's an outside chance for myself to hit up Derby in the 3rd week of January if I can make a space in a family trip. However, only bike available will be my Twinzer which is an XC steel framed hardtail with 100 mm travel. And the rider is even less technically capable!

Anyone have suggestions which tracks I should target for a half day XC experience or should I not even bother until I return with more time, more bike and more skills?
If you're only taking that bike to ride derby, I'd suggest you looking into hiring a bike, they have decent bikes for hire there (ok, specialized) but they are well suited to the terrain.

moorey

call me Mia
If you're only taking that bike to ride derby, I'd suggest you looking into hiring a bike, they have decent bikes for hire there (ok, specialized) but they are well suited to the terrain.
Yep. $99 all day for a new good (ok, specialized) bike, and $75 for the shuttled day. That's my plan for a few weeks time. Happy to pay it.

Karl G Lapwood

Cannon Fodder
Blue Derby eBike trip.

Recently went down to Derby with my ebike to check out some of the new editions to the network, geeez its fun on ebike.

I smashed out Bluetier, multiple Big Chooks, Atlas and Derby trails.

Went down to ride with another local mate who is much fitter than i, so taking the ebike was a good idea and meant i could keep up. (on the uphills anyway).

derby 30%.jpg

Cant wait for next trip down, after the circus leaves town.

Prob take the Spirit of Taz.

Thursday 27th April till Monday 1st May is dates when ill go.

Last edited:

leight

Likes Bikes
I'm all for free shuttles, but let us not forget why Blue Derby is there. Are we helping by driving in, self shuttling, and driving home? I, for one, am happy to pay Buck etc for their very very reasonably priced services, and support to town. Just sayin.
Short answer, yes, we are helping.
We're here for a week (not that we could buy food or a beer today...)
All well and good to say "if you want a lift to the top, you must pay", and I have no problem with spending $, (not a tight arse JTmofo) in Derby to support the town and infrastructure.
But considering the prominent signage to aid the self shuttling of Atlas (big FO signs to shuttle point), it's not a giant leap to assume that self-shuttling is promoted by the council. The first time I visited Derby there was one shuttle co operating and I'm pretty sure the trails weren't built to sustain that business model alone. They have grown from the opportunity fuelled by the demand of increasing visitor numbers.
And my personal opinion: Good on Them, for making it privately shuttleable!!They are all public access roads and people are still in town, buying food, beers, accommodation...mtb jerseys...people who'll spread the word. The vast majority of interstate visitors (from what we've seen in two visits) don't have the ability to self shuttle, and as for the shuttle co's, even if we wanted to throw $ their way today, they weren't operating, so we had no other option but to self-shuttle the Blue Tier...(because f@$k riding up ;)

Last edited:

leight

Likes Bikes
Recently went down to Derby with my ebike to check out some of the new editions to the network, geeez its fun on ebike.

I smashed out Bluetier, multiple Big Chooks, Atlas and Derby trails.

Went down to ride with another local mate who is much fitter than i, so taking the ebike was a good idea and meant i could keep up. (on the uphills anyway).

View attachment 334375

Cant wait for next trip down, after the circus leaves town.

Prob take the Spirit of Taz.

Thursday 27th April till Monday 1st May is dates when ill go.
No circus in town yet mate, didn't see another sole on the Blue Tier/Big Chook today...maybe that's because the shuttle co's weren't running??...

binner

Hath shat hymself
inside news

Upper Flickity one hell of a ride then finish yourself off on the classic Flickity

Although private shuttles ain't allowed - anymore ?:washing:
dont fuck with Buck............ you know why

Delazy

Got a new bike!
14732186_10155327194663222_3802253265663707435_n.jpg

heading up from hobart for a couple nights australia day-ish...currently planing solo...anyone else plan to be riding/camping then?

third trip now..having ridden atlas/big chook/blue tiers..black stump is calling

moorey

call me Mia
Yup Buck's wife Jude is awesome

Jude if your reading this our crew we be back yet again 2017
The pairs blood is worth bottling. Absolutely no hesitation in paying them well for the fine work they do. :hug:

rstim

Likes Dirt
View attachment 334391

heading up from hobart for a couple nights australia day-ish...currently planing solo...anyone else plan to be riding/camping then?

third trip now..having ridden atlas/big chook/blue tiers..black stump is calling
I could possibly come for a ride if my bikes fixed before then nothing like a cracked frame to slow you down.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cheers. He's 11, but rides as well as any decent adult. He's done a few DH races, all the Buller tracks, most of the Youies DH runs, and ridden the full epic loop at Buller. It's ME you should be worried about. :behindsofa:
I have 120gb of GoPro footage from various rides, Blue Tier, Atlas, Flickety stick, Return to sender. Then the North-South track on Mt Wellington and also Penguin MTB park. Sorting through it and making vids... slowly, will post the Derby ones here when I get around to them.

ozzybmx

Its no big deal not paying for the shuttles if you have someone to shuttle you. We ate tea in the pub with many beers consumed, lunch in the cafe, missus had coffee 4 times in 2 days, bought 2 tee-shirts and 2 stubbie holders... spread it around as the whole town needs the lovin.

I'm planning a trip over with the guys I work with sometime in the very near future (before the weather turns shit), fly to Launceston then hire a car. Will grab a cabin and use the shuttles from the locals.

Its a great place and reminds me of Melrose in SA, apart from everything in Melrose is ridden up and down, no shuttle opportunity.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have 120gb of GoPro footage from various rides, Blue Tier, Atlas, Flickety stick, Return to sender. Then the North-South track on Mt Wellington and also Penguin MTB park. Sorting through it and making vids... slowly, will post the Derby ones here when I get around to them.
What did you think of the Penguin MTB Park?

I helped build the pump track and jumps park in the centre.

ozzybmx

What did you think of the Penguin MTB Park?

I helped build the pump track and jumps park in the centre.
Awesome spot, you have done well considering the small area, the kids loved it, definitely a park to visit for a play around, perfect place to spend a few hours while waiting for the boat back to the mainland. We ended up going back for a second visit as we had x-mas in Devonport.

The skills areas and tree rides are great fun, the big jumps area is sweet as... but its on the other side of my sandy line these days. HT was a bit dodgy too ;)

Short vid over on the Kids thread - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ur-kids-ride&p=3103448&viewfull=1#post3103448

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Awesome spot, you have done well considering the small area, the kids loved it, definitely a park to visit for a play around, perfect place to spend a few hours while waiting for the boat back to the mainland. We ended up going back for a second visit as we had x-mas in Devonport.

The skills areas and tree rides are great fun, the big jumps area is sweet as... but its on the other side of my sandy line these days. HT was a bit dodgy too ;)

Short vid over on the Kids thread - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ur-kids-ride&p=3103448&viewfull=1#post3103448
Nice video!

Here's a vid of the jumps park area by Jasper Da Seymour

[video=vimeo;162996654]https://vimeo.com/162996654 [/video]