Decent beer in a can?

0psi

Eats Squid
Hey folks, so I need to find some half decent beers or ciders that are packaged in something other than glass. Any suggestions?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
We have a tradition on bike camping trips of always taking a summit Guiness in the widget can. Very nice to sink one of those after a hard days riding watching the sun go down. Beer in a can selection is normally pretty pathetic. Last trip I took a 1L can of Paulaner Octoberfest beer which was good (and efficient way to carry a beer for three). Saparo is often available in cans and is good.

What sort of beers are you into?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kilkenny? I never have much luck with it in a can though, usually goes everywhere or tastes flat and warm.

Extra dry is ok in a can in an emergency.

0psi

Eats Squid
Saparo is often available in cans and is good.

What sort of beers are you into?
I've only ever seen Saparo in big cans which probably isn't going to work.

A friend is starting a charter business and having been a deckkie in the past I'm helping him get going, so it's kind of irrelevant what beer I like. Anything refreshing will do it's just everything I've come across is pig swill.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
They serve the James squire beers on Qantas flights in cans, not sure if you can buy them.
Otherwise I have seen Asahis pretty commonly as well, plus they come in 500ml cans!

I've only ever seen Saparo in big cans which probably isn't going to work.

A friend is starting a charter business and having been a deckkie in the past I'm helping him get going, so it's kind of irrelevant what beer I like. Anything refreshing will do it's just everything I've come across is pig swill.
Damn it! I just read this, the Asahi probably wont be suitable then.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Amsterdam Mariner are stinking cheap and are a fairly plain larger, which isn't particuarly bitter..
3588004215_f6079c17fa.jpg

NCR600

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of canned craft beers available in the 'States, but bugger all of them are available out here.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48826990/The_Man_Who_Made_Canned_Craft_Beer_Cool

When you say "Charter" business, what are you talking, fishing charters, or fancy pants deck shoe yacht charters?

Most people are happy to drink megaswill pisswater lagers as long as they are so cold that they can't be tasted. Megaswill pisswater is 90% of the beer market for a reason you know. And do you know what, the last time I was on a sailing vessel, even I appreciated the bottom of a mouse cage twang of chilled VB as we sat becalmed off Manly for 4 hours on a stinking hot windless day.

0psi

Eats Squid
Yeah big cans on a hot day aren't the best idea when you are potentially going to have a 100+kg fish attached to some punter! I'm all for having a drink but it does need to be kept a little sensible.

0psi

Eats Squid
When you say "Charter" business, what are you talking, fishing charters, or fancy pants deck shoe yacht charters?
Fishing and a little diving/spearing. I remember the couple of times I've been a customer on live-a-board charters and the dissapointment of only being able to drink XXXX (I'm usually only a customer when I go up FNQ) after a day of diving is such a downer.

Edit: And yeah, most of my googling has come up with American stuff. Did discover Cascade light is available in a can which will do the light option but a reasonable full strength beer would be nice.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are a number of very good craft beers, as NCR said, from the US available and several are available here now. Andersons is one in particular which make effing good beer in a can - at a price.

To be honest though I really think canned beer is like adding ice cubes made of piss to a good whisky.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They serve the James squire beers on Qantas flights in cans, not sure if you can buy them.
Dan Murpheys were selling them breiflly earlier this year. I was loving them!! Until they stopped stocking them :(
By the looks of things they wanted to release the whole range into cans, but all of a sudden pulled the pin. Or at least for the local market.

It was a huge shame when I was told that Murpheys couldn't get them anymore, and the only decent beers in cans no longer existed!

You probably already know this, but you can buy the kopparberg and rekorderlig ciders in cans now. Though they are massively overpriced.
If only they would import these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andybee/943936977/

Attachments

Last edited: