Decent beer in a can?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear that's Bear Grylls drink of choice.

I'll still take beer in a can over glass on a boat.
Fair enough, I'm not proud enough to not drink canned beer in stead of nothing at all.
It's not like drinking next to a swimming pool with a glass bottle though, I am half cut right now so am I missing something?

Graunched

Likes Dirt
In tasmania you can walk into most bottle shops and purchase the following beers in cans :

cascade pale ale

cascade larger

boags xxx ale

cascade draught

+ a few others which are not as good as the aforementioned.

Coopers also does a canned beer called 'Dr tims' which is passable.....

0psi

Eats Squid
Fair enough, I'm not proud enough to not drink canned beer in stead of nothing at all.
It's not like drinking next to a swimming pool with a glass bottle though, I am half cut right now so am I missing something?
Ever seen a land-lubber try to walk from one end of a boat to the other in a 4m swell?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
There are a number of very good craft beers, as NCR said, from the US available and several are available here now. Andersons is one in particular which make effing good beer in a can - at a price.

To be honest though I really think canned beer is like adding ice cubes made of piss to a good whisky.
Nah. I'm all for it. If you pour it into a glass then it's tastes almost exactly the same as bottled beer and its a hell of a lot less embarrassing when it comes time to drag the recycling bin out at the end of the week.

Baltika do 500ml cans. I bought a load for the Meredith festival a few years ago. Lethal stuff. Can't remember a thing about the weekend. Think it tasted a bit syrupy

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ever seen a land-lubber try to walk from one end of a boat to the other in a 4m swell?
The penny drops.

In all honesty my beer snobbery has been well documented on this site but at the end of the day drink whatever you want. My preference is to stay well away from cans, the flavour of the beer is generally heavily compromised.

Dragging the recycling bin out at the end of the week is a hell of a lot less embarrassing when the evidence is already gone, why do you think i manage a waste and recycling facility? I can personally keep our tonnes up.

As for Baltika - 3am, Dublin, ex-pat Russians and being chased down O'Connell street, no good can come of it.

I think it's time for bed. nigh nighs :)

Stew41

Likes Bikes
Dunno about the so called 'man's' drink but there is a minor can renaissance of sorts with respect to imported craft in cans. Keep an eye out for Uncommon (USA) and Brewdog (Scotland) if you haven't been made aware of these already.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hahaha! You sure it was the beer that erased your memory at Meredith??! BEST FESTIVAL EVER!!!!.......sorry,back to the subject. Melbourne Cans.

Baltika do 500ml cans. I bought a load for the Meredith festival a few years ago. Lethal stuff. Can't remember a thing about the weekend. Think it tasted a bit syrupy[/QUOTE]

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I stashed some squire away for roasting chooks, but agree that if you can source boags or cascades in cans, that'd be the go. Can even get boags and cascade premium light in cans down south. Ask your local decent bottle-o, as long as you are reasonably regular they should be able to source it.

0psi

Eats Squid
Ended up find Cascade light in a can, bloody mission though. No one on the boat complained about being fed light beer either. In an interesting side note, I'm surprised that more companies don't do given that a lot of events (Like Bathurst apparently) don't allow glass bottles to be brought in.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go Oettinger. Cheap and it's not good enough to sip slowly so the 500ml can won't get warm (although I drank it warm through Winter). Given that beer costs about 3c a can to make (the only thing cheaper is water), I cannot and will not pay more than $30 for a slab of daily drinking beer - it's like paying restaurant prices for hospital food!