COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Having read-up on the various vaccines and the most popular method of administering them, I feel that in the interests of boosting national morale we should be encouraged to give anyone who has recently received their jab a good-old fashioned 'dead arm' - like we used to do after we all received the TB booster back in our school-days!

Nostalgia can be a heady thing and I think this may be a great way to encourage those who are in the overlapping demographics of the vaccine-averse and rose-tinted-glasses wearing, Alan Jones listeners into getting the jab.
I can think of some better jabs though.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Having read-up on the various vaccines and the most popular method of administering them, I feel that in the interests of boosting national morale we should be encouraged to give anyone who has recently received their jab a good-old fashioned 'dead arm' - like we used to do after we all received the TB booster back in our school-days!

Nostalgia can be a heady thing and I think this may be a great way to encourage those who are in the overlapping demographics of the vaccine-averse and rose-tinted-glasses wearing, Alan Jones listeners into getting the jab.
Good memories. Being the only left-hander in my class, and having classmates too dumb to realise I was immune to their pathetic efforts, I dealt out a bag full of whup arse.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Th, or does it get picked up when getting blood tests for something else?
The
doesn’t;t get picked up by blood tests, as when on a blood film the cells are all flattened anyway, so whether they are disc shaped, or spheres does not show up, we had 1 or 2 diagnosed when i was at north shore hosp, they were cases which got referred to haem dept. due to non specific anaemia, which did not show up as normal things like fe/b12/fol defiency’es, and they ruled out things like sickle cell or thalassaemia -ps should have added, when you do look carefully the spherocytes don’t have the normal pale inner hue of a normal disc cell, they have a fuller colour across the cell

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
That's really interesting and also concerning for you @fatboyonabike.
Is this something that needs to be specifically requested to screen for, or does it get picked up when getting blood tests for something else?
The reason I ask is that there is a very strong history of gall stones on the maternal side of my family. Both grandparents, 4 out of 6 of their children and myself have had our gall bladders removed.
(Edit: because apparently Spherocytosis can cause gall stones)
the last time I had a blood screen done, all that came back from the pathology was an "anomaly" with my blood platelets, but knowing that both my Dad and Grandmother both had it, I had to inform the GP what it actually was, as he was not familiar with it.
My Father had to have his spleen removed when he was in his 30's I think, but no history of Gall stones that I am aware of.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
the last time I had a blood screen done, all that came back from the pathology was an "anomaly" with my blood platelets, but knowing that both my Dad and Grandmother both had it, I had to inform the GP what it actually was, as he was not familiar with it.
My Father had to have his spleen removed when he was in his 30's I think, but no history of Gall stones that I am aware of.
Good thing you knew of the family history.

Right, we must be weird in some other way.