COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
I'm surprised by the arguments wanting to place blame for this largely/solely on the security guards. These "security guards" are very much mislabelled and are the people you see standing around in a "security" vest with a large bunch of keys on their belt in your local shopping centre and they know, under current law, they have no power to detain, search or touch anybody. At best all they can do is insist verbally that you follow the rules, but if you wanted to leave the "quarantine" building that had literally no power to stop you.

Secondly they didn't know the rules or even understand what they were doing there or just how important there job was. It is now well understood they were hired with less than a days notice, provided little to no training or guidance of substance and were working for or below minimum wage. If I were in there shoes I'd be pretty chuffed if I got paid cash in hand and got a root out of it as well, for a job that would last just a week or two before I went back onto Jobseeker.

I believe all other states took up the offer of bringing in the police/defence force to provide strict quarantine measures and have not had the cluster fuck that has befallen Victoria.

So yes, at the end of the day the buck falls squarely with the Victorian State government. They did not deal with the quarantine correctly and continue to make huge mistakes, like telling people who have been tested they don't have to quarantine unless they have symptoms. They are the reason Australia is now at risk of a second wave and Andrews should immediately resign and allow someone with some level of competence take over and hopefully start to reign this in.

At the end of the day Victoria would have no community transmission if not for the governments quarantine failures. Every other state has fuckwits that would have willingly spread it to everyone if they had been allowed to catch it, but competent state government action prevented this from occuring.
*quarantine failures.

For all his faults, Andrews is doing well on this. Calling for his sacking makes you sound...well...Tasmanian.

Don’t assume other states have nailed this quite yet.

nathanm

Eats Squid
*quarantine failures.

For all his faults, Andrews is doing well on this. Calling for his sacking makes you sound...well...Tasmanian.

mate, from our high horse we can call for anyone's sacking. Tassie went 68 odd days before a confirmed case and you guessed it, the current case came from Victoria and is in quarantine right next door to were I work.

I think I can most definitely assume we have this nailed, as the only way the other state's will get it is from a Victorian and if they hadn't absolutely fucked up quarantine all of Australia would be pretty much Covid free.

People do need to not forget the Ruby Princess though, as without that debacle there may not have even been cases in Victoria to spread.

moorey

call me Mia
mate, from our high horse we can call for anyone's sacking. Tassie went 68 odd days before a confirmed case and you guessed it, the current case came from Victoria and is in quarantine right next door to were I work.

I think I can most definitely assume we have this nailed, as the only way the other state's will get it is from a Victorian and if they hadn't absolutely fucked up quarantine all of Australia would be pretty much Covid free.

People do need to not forget the Ruby Princess though, as without that debacle there may not have even been cases in Victoria to spread.
The problem with high horses is how far the fall is. We were on a giant one. I truly hope you stay in the saddle.

CHEWY

Eats Squid

Got to take into consideration that Melbourne has been housing infected returned international travelers for all the other states.

If Tassy had been taking in returned travelers you wouldn't have had 68 days without a case. We have been doing your dirty work for you.

moorey

call me Mia
Got to take into consideration that Melbourne has been housing infected returned international travelers for all the other states.

If Tassy had been taking in returned travelers you wouldn't have had 68 days without a case. We have been doing your dirty work for you.
Don’t cloud his smug with facts.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
*quarantine failures.

Agreed - a fair amount of good fortune in the way it's played out nationally, despite the controls in place. Asymptomatic cases in the community are a concern now. I crossed into northern NSW the weekend before last and returned the long way via Kyogle over the border to Beaudesert to avoid the queues on the coast. The police/SES at the border were pretty relaxed with the way they were dealing with people in cars - not wearing gloves or masks, happy to handle my paper permits when inspecting them. They didn't ask to me for sex though, which was a relief. It was too cold.

TM2

Likes Bikes
They did not deal with the quarantine correctly and continue to make huge mistakes, like telling people who have been tested they don't have to quarantine unless they have symptoms.
This is incorrect, they have always said to isolate for 14 days after taking a test, people just haven't been taking it seriously. They have certainly made some horrible mistakes with the hotel quarantine situation, and I hope the inquiry leads to pretty severe punishment of those responsible.

nathanm

Eats Squid
The problem with high horses is how far the fall is. We were on a giant one. I truly hope you stay in the saddle.
me too, but I have condidence in my government and they so far have achieved elimination not just suppression. Should that fail us in the way that Victoria has been failed I will be marching in the streets demanding my governments resignation.

Based on what facts? Regardless of where the infected have come from, the fact is that the majority of states have received infected persons as well as had localised outbreaks. These states through proper measures have managed to eliminate Covid from their area's.

I truly do not understand the parochialism (sp?). This is not a sporting match, the rest of the country is no Victoria bashing. I couldn't give 2 fucks whether it was Victoria or upper butt fuck west. I am just super pissed off that due to a government bungle Covid is taking hold in the country again purely due to something as stupid as cost cutting/government spending. The whole don't pick on us attitude is almost as stupid as people not wanting to wear masks because it restricts their freedumb.

nathanm

Eats Squid
This is incorrect, they have always said to isolate for 14 days after taking a test, people just haven't been taking it seriously. They have certainly made some horrible mistakes with the hotel quarantine situation, and I hope the inquiry leads to pretty severe punishment of those responsible.
On July 4, Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services released contradictory advice.

In a statement on its website, DHHS wrote that people who had been tested in Melbourne’s hot zones but did not show any symptoms “are not required to self-isolate while you wait for your results”.

According to a news.com.au story today.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The individual security guards are to blame, not the government.

How fucking stupid do you have to be? These people are in quarantine and given the fact that these guards were in their room is no fault of anyone but their own!

Why do people have to put the blame on others? No one made the individual guards go into their rooms, the blame is theirs alone!

More selfish shit that people can't take responsibility for.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Based on what facts? Regardless of where the infected have come from, the fact is that the majority of states have received infected persons as well as had localised outbreaks. These states through proper measures have managed to eliminate Covid from their area's.
b.
I can’t remeber that exact stats that were released but around 50% in Melb quarantine were from intersate. Melb airport doesn’t have a curfew, so at several points Vic was hosting the majority of return travellers. Sydney now has the most and is pretty much processing all the international arrivals with very little help from other states. That’s why the gov reduced the numbers that can return to oz per day..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The individual security guards are to blame, not the government.

How fucking stupid do you have to be? These people are in quarantine and given the fact that these guards were in their room is no fault of anyone but their own!

Why do people have to put the blame on others? No one made the individual guards go into their rooms, the blame is theirs alone!

More selfish shit that people can't take responsibility for.
As we will hear in the inquiry, there was a lot of red flags about security issues from day 1. These were raised with dhhs/cops and reportly passed on up the chain. Hopefully we get a proper inquiry and not one where the terms of reference protect those who are at fault..

nathanm

Eats Squid
I can’t remeber that exact stats that were released but around 50% in Melb quarantine were from intersate. Melb airport doesn’t have a curfew, so at several points Vic was hosting the majority of return travellers. Sydney now has the most and is pretty much processing all the international arrivals with very little help from other states. That’s why the gov reduced the numbers that can return to oz per day..
Fair enough, however it doesnt really matter how many "overseas" travellers the state quarantined. It is the manner in which the quarantine was undertaken and I don't believe you have to take into consideration where the travellers are from. The infection sees no colour nor creed.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Fair enough, however it doesnt really matter how many "overseas" travellers the state quarantined. It is the manner in which the quarantine was undertaken and I don't believe you have to take into consideration where the travellers are from. The infection sees no colour nor creed.
Probably got more to do with luck than anything and also the citizens of Melbourne are entitled as shit, you cannot ask them to quarantine wtf.

moorey

call me Mia
No...but greater handling of numbers will always increase the risk and frequency of infection....particularly when you are relying on people to do the right thing.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep just gets up the goat of vic (and nsw) when certain states gush over the fact they have no covid cases or are covid free and how good of a job they are doing.. When in reality they barely take any of their own return quarantined residents let alone anyone elses..
I am glad nsw put there foot down be interesting if cases get going there which lucky state will cop all the infected travellers..