Confessions from the fuckwits

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Spending a nice Friday evening locked down and figured why not mount up my new wheelset. I’ve got all the tools around somewhere so let’s go.
Lock ring adapter - yep
Chain whip - yep
Socket set - yep

First look for xx1 lock ring tool… can’t find my one (last removed cassette around 4 years ago on my old frame for maintenance)

Borrow one off a local rider (COVID safe letterbox pickup)

Go to grab chain whip, find out kids have lost in garden…

Quick message and trip 2 to letterbox rendezvous (neighbours surely recording my plates now) but before I head over there confirm I don’t have socket set but do have my torque wrench so that will do.

Get home and find torque wrench has an 8mm hex stuck fast on it. Find other tools to exctract hex. Break a chisel in the process but finally get it off.

Torque wrench is 3/8” not 1/4” to suit lock ring tool.

Dig around in shed and find antique torque wrench in correct size. (120ft lbs should do it)

Remove cassette and spend 30 minutes giving it a cleanup then apply a little grease to thread.

Mount cassette to new wheel - Job done!….

Now to mount discs, wheels I ordered are 6 bolt. Old wheels are centre lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaccMTB

Squid
I have a confession for my marzocchi 888 rc2 fork as it hasent been working the best the past couples months it felt like the lowers were going to fly off so i tied a rope between the bridge on the lowers to the crown to stop the fork from topping out but eventually i just took it to @Lucaw to help me fix it and we went on a ride of jumps and stair rides then when we got home we noticed the compression cap was missing we didn’t think much of it so we continued to disassemble the fork to try figure out what was causing severe top out and upon finding lots of old oil clogged in the internals we found out the internals were in the wrong legs of the fork because i had previously taken the fork apart but as we dug deeper we found out the compression cap and dial we lost was the only thing that would hold the fork together after it was fixed so we set out at night to look for it looking around all the jumps we did and we couldent find it so we set off again the next morning with no luck still but later that afternoon we went out to search one more time as i was not keen on spending $120 on a compression cap replacement so we searched the same places over and over only to find the cap trodden into the dirt of a jump we had checked multiple times so we got home ready to put the fork together and then realised a slider in a damper inside the fork was stuck and we couldn’t free it so we gave up on the fork and turned it into a single crown 380mm travel fork (attached) @Lucaw plans on building this bike up and riding it to school with a 16 inch rear wheel

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
I have a confession for my marzocchi 888 rc2 fork as it hasent been working the best the past couples months it felt like the lowers were going to fly off so i tied a rope between the bridge on the lowers to the crown to stop the fork from topping out but eventually i just took it to @Lucaw to help me fix it and we went on a ride of jumps and stair rides then when we got home we noticed the compression cap was missing we didn’t think much of it so we continued to disassemble the fork to try figure out what was causing severe top out and upon finding lots of old oil clogged in the internals we found out the internals were in the wrong legs of the fork because i had previously taken the fork apart but as we dug deeper we found out the compression cap and dial we lost was the only thing that would hold the fork together after it was fixed so we set out at night to look for it looking around all the jumps we did and we couldent find it so we set off again the next morning with no luck still but later that afternoon we went out to search one more time as i was not keen on spending $120 on a compression cap replacement so we searched the same places over and over only to find the cap trodden into the dirt of a jump we had checked multiple times so we got home ready to put the fork together and then realised a slider in a damper inside the fork was stuck and we couldn’t free it so we gave up on the fork and turned it into a single crown 380mm travel fork (attached) @Lucaw plans on building this bike up and riding it to school with a 16 inch rear wheel
Too much to unpack there…

Flow-Rider

Burner

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love it! I have serious doubts that the 888 low rider edition will get very far before the fork breaks, so maybe no stairs.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Key points @moorey

it felt like the lowers were going to fly off so i tied a rope between the bridge on the lowers to the crown to stop the fork from topping out

found out the internals were in the wrong legs

single crown 380mm travel fork (attached) @Lucaw plans on building this bike up and riding it to school with a 16 inch rear wheel
Loving the, ah, alternative engineering

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So last time I changed tyres I swore I’d get one of those you beaut pump with the boost chamber for instant seating.

Didn’t do that of course, so mounting tyres after finally getting the wheels sorted and couldn’t get the new ones to seat. Had set up in the house as it’s too cold to be outside and trying not to get sealant all over the floor.
No joy, got another local rider with a compressor to help out and we still struggled, but finally after lots of lost sealant some success and hopefully get to ride tomorrow.

I would have gone crazy if I couldn’t get this all done before the heavy lockdown hits tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Cruisy ride with son. Couple of small jumps while rolling along behind him. Called out for him to gas it for a jump and tried to stomp the pedals. to follow him in. Chain was off came off, feet slipped off front of pedals and proceeded to introduce DMR V12's to the back of my legs. Haven't had a flat pedal conflict in 15 odd years riding all sorts of crazy lines and then do it cruising with my son. Fukwit (me)

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Haven't had a flat pedal conflict in 15 odd years riding all sorts of crazy lines and then do it cruising with my son. Fukwit (me)
Proper shoes? Or like me - wear crappy shoes on kids ride, give it a little juice at some point, and slip a pedal...