Confessions from the fuckwits

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Saw that one, and the green "show bike" they're also selling. Only about quadruple my budget too, easy. Luckily, they're both too small.
650b on a gravel bike with no option to run 29er/700c wheels is a no for me. better rolling on 29ers, imo, especially if you have touring tyres, or ones without aggressive tread. my frankengravel banshee paradox will run a 29x2.3 rear if I go 1x. (2.1 rear if I have the 3x cranks)
The steel fork will take at least a 29x2.6, I reckon. Haven't tried fitting racks and bags to the front though. The racks are those Tubus low rider style ones, so it shouldn't affect tyre clearance.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well in another thread I recently commented that my neighbours hadn't required the slip knot traffic cone method for quite a long time...

...I just got home from dinner out and I left my traffic cone blasting a 90s metal playlist for a few hours. Fear factory's replica was bouncing out my windows. I wonder if there will be some leaf blowing early tomorrow?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
So I reckon I've got a great crossover Sale/Confessions from the Fwits/All My AliExpress Purchases Reviewed....

Stupidly AliExpress shopping late at night and thought I'd found a cheaper Ad for the same item, from the same seller (in my defense, this isn't rare on Ali) but bought the wrong variant....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had me a little adventure last night...dinner at the pub. Bar staff kept disappearing so the post dinner whisky momentum died off and we went home. When I got home I realised I had left my phone-wallet at the pub. Jump on the bike and race back across town to rescue it. Blow in the door in a bit of a rush and look right at the fireside leather chairs I had been reclining on and the small crowd of gents there were all "you own the phone!", I guess it was a look on my face. They advised it was behind the bar. Bar tender hooks me up, all my cash cards etc are still in there. I spring a round for the guys to say thanks.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Had me a little adventure last night...dinner at the pub. Bar staff kept disappearing so the post dinner whisky momentum died off and we went home. When I got home I realised I had left my phone-wallet at the pub. Jump on the bike and race back across town to rescue it. Blow in the door in a bit of a rush and look right at the fireside leather chairs I had been reclining on and the small crowd of gents there were all "you own the phone!", I guess it was a look on my face. They advised it was behind the bar. Bar tender hooks me up, all my cash cards etc are still in there. I spring a round for the guys to say thanks.
Glad you got it all back and a round of drinks for some honesty is a worthy expense.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
It looks nice.
It does. Pity it's Mullet only :( I guess manufacturers need a new way to sell bikes. And without a new wheelset coming any time soon, I guess this is going to be the norm.

If it was full 29",or Mullet/Full with a flip chip, I'd be in like Flynn. Alas, a dedicated Mullet doesn't appeal to me, so they've lost my vote.

On the upside, means I can still eat for the next few months!!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Cross post from the New Bike General thread. But a well deserved round of applause for Competitive Cyclist here, putting up an ad for the new Ibis HD6, before it's on the Ibis site!

Interestingly, the date says three days ago, but it literally popped up in my Farcebook feed a few moments ago. Thanks Algorithm!!

View attachment 400780
It’s on a few other sites as well so maybe the intern at Ibis forgot to press the go button.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Chucked some Mezzers on the GG the other night. Take it Eatons/ Redhill.
I’m riding up the trail and I have almost no front brakes. That’s weird. Maybe I’ve got some oil on the pads. Again.. ride down a bit of hill try to bed them in or something.. No joy. Finally I have a look. Somethings not right.

The caliper is sitting up too high and pads are making contact with the rotor by about 2 mm. The old fork ran a 40mm post mount adapter for a160. FIIK why they’d make a lyric for 160 rotors! I try turning the adapter around in a Hail Mary but of course that didn’t work.
So basically without even thinking when I threw the forks on I just chucked the old adapter on, checked it wasn’t making noise and that was that. I obviously didn’t have a close enough look to even see if the fucking pads were even touching the rotor! Facepalm.
So I pull the pads as the pistons are now advanced and careful not to touch the front brake lever, all the way down chanting Don’t touch the lever don’t touch the lever don’t touch the lever.
Luckily there’s a bike shop at the trail head!
would have been a very pissed off 1.5 hour drive home if not!
Roll down the hill and ask the fine fellows at Chainbrain the bike shop luckily across the road from the carpark if they have a 20mm post mount. Sure. That’ll be $35. It wasn’t even new! When they saw my face drop they said ok $25 as it’s off an old used bike. I asked if they had a trade in option as I don’t need the 40. He thought I was joking.
I’ve got about 4 20mm’s at home in the parts bin! Now I’ve got 5.
So I take it outside but my pistons have advanced so I go back in and ask for a piston spreader. I go back out then realise my existing bolts are too short as the adapters are different. I go back in again to ask for bolts. They DID initially ask me if I needed some. Nah I’m good I said. Dude In chain brain rolls his eyes, sighs and says just bring the thing in and they will sort it out- I thought for free as they had already gouged me on the adapter- so I’ll stop annoying them.
They take it out back, reset the pistons etc and roll it out and says that’s $30. Grrr.
So my oversight cost me $55 and much ribbing from my mate who got a couple laps in while I was being a faff master and getting bent over by the bike shop.

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Quickly built up a bike last night to ride today. Lots going on yesterday with family, both good and not so good, so my head wasn't completely in the game. Bled the brakes, everything went on without struggle. Dropped into the third trail this morning, a jump/flow trail so speeds were relatively high. Railed a berm, then another...on the exit I needed to scrub a little speed to not overjump what was coming up and the lever goes to the bar :eek: pump, pump...nothing. Hit the jump...overjumped it...buried into the corner...somehow made it around (or highlighted how slowly I've been hitting it lol)...then managed to stop before a drop. Yeah I hadn't tightened the pad retaining bolt and being bottom loading pads they had fallen out FW.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Quickly built up a bike last night to ride today. Lots going on yesterday with family, both good and not so good, so my head wasn't completely in the game. Bled the brakes, everything went on without struggle. Dropped into the third trail this morning, a jump/flow trail so speeds were relatively high. Railed a berm, then another...on the exit I needed to scrub a little speed to not overjump what was coming up and the lever goes to the bar :eek: pump, pump...nothing. Hit the jump...overjumped it...buried into the corner...somehow made it around (or highlighted how slowly I've been hitting it lol)...then managed to stop before a drop. Yeah I hadn't tightened the pad retaining bolt and being bottom loading pads they had fallen out FW.
Bottom loading pads. Whoever thought that was a good idea FFS.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Confession time.

If at first you don’t succeed, crack a second/third beer and try again!

Been meaning to service my shock, and want to DIY. So I’ve slowly together all the parts and tools. Today I got bored of waiting, so figured I’d grab a beer, drop the ifp pressure out of the damper, swap in a bit of oring cord, and refill it with my eBay special hypodermic needle fill kit. You know, just a trial run for the real thing once the rest of the stuff arrives.

Fucking oring cord is 7mm. Not 6mm. Damn.
Oh well, pressures out anyway, let’s jam it in there with some needle nose! Done.
Now to fill…
Fills fine. Makes 200psi. Pull the needle out. Loses pressure.
Ok. Need to tighten screw a bit.
Now it’s hard to insert this stupid… bugger. Bent the needle.
All good, I’ve got a spare.
Crack a beer. IPA. Nice!

Change over the needle.
More pumping.
Damn. Still losing pressure.
Needs a new puck. This one is full of holes.
Jam that fella in with the needle nose.
Pump pump pump…
Fark! Bent that one too.

At this point I realised I now have to find my old air shock because this one’s broke! Silver lining - air shock is still where I left it and appears to be working fine. Don’t touch anything!

Beer 3 is spent back inside hamboing all the things my hamfisted boredom caused me to rush.
- Buy replacement needles. Check. Thank you petchemist! 100 pack sounds like a lot of spares…
- Find some 6mm oring cord. Check
- Order a hollow end 4mm ‘security’ hex key to make into a tool.

Back into the garage. Lets find out if my bleed fittings fit the oil fill port. Not check. Bugger. Need to find where to get 4mm bleed fitting from. Why didn’t I check this earlier…

Something something, sunk cost fallacy. Why am I doing this again?