Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Oh, before you go spend the dosh, that BB needs it's own tool, and I have NFI where to buy that from and it doesn't seem to do the E*Thirteen thing where they at least ship the tool with it.

Cheers. Been looking at the Hope BBs, but confused as to what I would need to get.

(OP - Sorry for the thread derail BTW).
That's the bearing puller isn't it? There's another one, like a shimano BB wrench but with a wider opening to interface with the larger diameter cups.
(also, sorry for the slight hijack).
Should be this then. Install spanner for 30mm cups - https://www.bike24.com/p2157019.html
No worries gents, no derail so all good.

I'm a Hopetech fanboi...... so If your're looking to run a Shimano or Sram cranks (ie not a 30mm spindle) you need one of these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-pf41-press-fit-stainless-bottom-bracket/rp-prod118519
with Sram adaptors http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-bottom-bracket-truvativ-gxp-converter/rp-prod26899

Tool you need it this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-pf41-bottom-bracket-installation-tool/rp-prod147501
I have one, so if you're in Sydney, don't buy one. More than welcome to borrow mine.

If you're running Raceface or Hope cranks (30mm spindle) then you need this BB
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-pf41-press-fit-30mm-bottom-bracket/rp-prod135904

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you need to rebuild the bike yourself once the frame replacement arrives or is there any service from Canyon's end for this?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Do you need to rebuild the bike yourself once the frame replacement arrives or is there any service from Canyon's end for this?
Canyon indicated that will do the rebuild gratis, including pick up of the old frame and delivery once complete.
I have asked to complete the rebuild myself as A. It'll be quicker and B. I know it'll be done right.
As mentioned, the cable routing is a shambles, as well as the internal routing of the gear cables being a split. I'll spend a bit of time getting all that sorted the best I can.
I also want to frame skin it (again) so its easier to do on a naked frame.

Z

Zaf

Canyon indicated that will do the rebuild gratis, including pick up of the old frame and delivery once complete.
I have asked to complete the rebuild myself as A. It'll be quicker and B. I know it'll be done right.
As mentioned, the cable routing is a shambles, as well as the internal routing of the gear cables being a split. I'll spend a bit of time getting all that sorted the best I can.
I also want to frame skin it (again) so its easier to do on a naked frame.
I'm almost a little jealous of you being able to get the fresh build to clean your cables up; are you going to go the whole hog and do the shrink wrap around them and such?
I've heard they're tricky to work with internally, but my frame has two little plugs just behind the BB and one on the downtube to help with it; certainly looks like it's enough to make the job manageable. . I should just spend the money, get the longer dropper and clean it all up.

Ddm

Likes Bikes
Hey JT

Been following this thread with a vested interest as I ordered a Spectral EX 9.0 late Jan, any news on the frame ETA yet? I received mine last Thursday :) After reading about whats happened to yours thought I'd better run tension wrench over all the bolts. I found that the swing arm pivot bolt(the one that broke on yours)was about 20Nm (should be 25Nm) and the drive side chain stay bolt took 1/4 turn to get to the 12Nm spec. Glad I checked! I also loosened off that swing bolt and can confirm it's heli coiled same as yours.

2 rides in and the bike awesome, still fiddling with pressures ect. I can also say the guys at Canyon Aus have been nothing but helpful. Hopefully you'll be hitting the trails again soon on yours

2017-03-09 11.17.08.jpg

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey mate,

Just got an email today to confirm that the frame is en route from Germany to Melbourne (complete with dhl tracking). The guys in Melbourne said they will forward it as soon as it arrives.
After the initial lack in communication, a call to them me last week promised that it will ship some time this week. True to their word...it's on the way!

I'm stoked to get it back up and running and I'm hopefull that the new replacement will be more reliable than the Monday morning lemon that I first received.

Hopefully be put back ripping it up next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hey mate,

Just got an email today to confirm that the frame is en route from Germany to Melbourne (complete with dhl tracking). The guys in Melbourne said they will forward it as soon as it arrives.
After the initial lack in communication, a call to them me last week promised that it will ship some time this week. True to their word...it's on the way!

I'm stoked to get it back up and running and I'm hopefull that the new replacement will be more reliable than the Monday morning lemon that I first received.

Hopefully be put back ripping it up next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
So no plans anymore to buy another frame and sell the replacement?

Great news BTW

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So no plans anymore to buy another frame and sell the replacement?

Great news BTW
I was in with my local shop yesterday and nearly pulled the trigger on a frame.

Now I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I'll hang tough and put the failure down to bad luck.

Stoked to get it back... I was loving it!!!!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I was in with my local shop yesterday and nearly pulled the trigger on a frame.

Now I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I'll hang tough and put the failure down to bad luck.

Stoked to get it back... I was loving it!!!!
Nice one. I look forward to seeing the build.

Is the frame a replacement another green one? The black one above in Ddm's post looks schmick.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Nice one. I look forward to seeing the build.

Is the frame a replacement another green one? The black one above in Ddm's post looks schmick.
Not sure. I'll presume it's vomit coloured.... but I don't really care.

My last bike was a raw carbon frame so actually wanted something different.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Not sure. I'll presume it's vomit coloured.... but I don't really care.

My last bike was a raw carbon frame so actually wanted something different.
Yeah, after what you've been through. As long as it works, it could be Barbie pink.

Ivan

Eats Squid
20Nm seems like a lot. I'm not fitter, but i wouldn't do any pivot bolt up that tight.

I have been wrong once before though (1997).