Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

BT180

Max Pfaff
Just came across this thread. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had nothing but a positive one too. It's interesting to see what bikes come with what when delivered. I also have tubeless ready wheels, but no valves included in my delivery. Also the Reverb lever was mounted as usual on the upper RHS. It was up to me to move it to the lower LHS.

After smashing the lower downtube on a rock, the little bit of plastic that keeps tension on the rear derailleur cable snapped, so that forced me to install a fully housed outer cable. Pretty good upgrade to aid in durability.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've just had. I think I've seen you posting on the Canyon thread over on PB too? I'm keen to follow this thread and see how things progress.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well dudes.... small update.
Evemtually got through to the right person in the Melbourne service centre. It was 1 week since I had any contact from them.
All I wanted to know was whether I needed to get the damage inspected at an LBS or not.

Long story short, seems the queue system in Canyon sucks balls, and once a ticket has been raised to Germany, any correspondence no longer goes to the local service center.

The guys in Melbourne apologised and assured me that I would hear something shortly.

This morning I received an email from Canyon Germany, stating the a frame was en route from them to Melbourne. Looks like a complete frame replacement, which is what I was expecting to be the outcome.

Still not sure if I need to send my own to Melbourne for the rebuild or not.... but I presume I'll find that out in due course.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nice one. Will be interesting to see if they just forward the frame to you, to then reassemble, although I think they'll probably get you to send everything down to them.

Majin

Likes Dirt
JT
Before the issues how did u find the bike overall?
Im interested in buying the same model and your the first person ive seen who has ridden the model

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
JT
Before the issues how did u find the bike overall?
Im interested in buying the same model and your the first person ive seen who has ridden the model
This issue hasn't put me off the fact that this is a wicked trail bike. I had 4 weeks which included 3 awesome days in Derby on it, before the issues.

As mentioned, it isn't as supportive a pedal platform as my previous Yeti, but it is a far better trail bike.

It took a while to get the shock to feel how I like it, it was blowing through travel far to quickly. A few volume spacers and a fiddle with the air pressures had it sorted.

It's light, sub 13kg (with pedals) and comes with nice wide 30mm internal rims.

There was tubeless tape already applied, and valves in the box ready for tubeless.

For me, the angles are spot on as a mixed "all mountain" bike.... and they are huge bang for your buck.

I would recommend them, I think I just managed to jag a lemon of a frame. Time will tell if the replacement is better, but I'll presume it will be.

I'll be inspecting it throughly, mm by mm for any manufacturing issues.

Majin

Likes Dirt
This issue hasn't put me off the fact that this is a wicked trail bike. I had 4 weeks which included 3 awesome days in Derby on it, before the issues.

As mentioned, it isn't as supportive a pedal platform as my previous Yeti, but it is a far better trail bike.

It took a while to get the shock to feel how I like it, it was blowing through travel far to quickly. A few volume spacers and a fiddle with the air pressures had it sorted.

It's light, sub 13kg (with pedals) and comes with nice wide 30mm internal rims.

There was tubeless tape already applied, and valves in the box ready for tubeless.

For me, the angles are spot on as a mixed "all mountain" bike.... and they are huge bang for your buck.

I would recommend them, I think I just managed to jag a lemon of a frame. Time will tell if the replacement is better, but I'll presume it will be.

I'll be inspecting it throughly, mm by mm for any manufacturing issues.
Thanks jt
After reading that i will be buying one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Great write up even with the unfortunate out come, hope your new frame arrives soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willjh

Squid
Funny to come across this when my bike is due to be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks for the right up, I am eagerly awaiting my Spectral 6.0 EX heres hoping I dont run into any frame issues.

golden path

Banned
Seems to me that these issues take too long to resolve.

And I'm not just talking about Canyon here.

If your only bike was gone for a month or longer with a warranty repair, you'd lose a fair bit of bike fitness in a month, or however long it takes to get back in the saddle.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems to me that these issues take too long to resolve.

And I'm not just talking about Canyon here.

If your only bike was gone for a month or longer with a warranty repair, you'd lose a fair bit of bike fitness in a month, or however long it takes to get back in the saddle.
excuse to have 2 bikes??

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
excuse to have 2 bikes??
I have 2...so I'm lucky that way.
So what's the latest update? Still waiting?
Yep, still waiting. Contacted the Melbourne service center today and they indicated that the replacement frame has not yet shipped from Germany. It's due to leave "some time" next week. It need to go to Melbourne and then on to me in Sydney. I'm not holding out for delivery before the end of March.

In light of this, I've looked at going down a different route and buying a different brand frame and swapping components over.

I understand that these things take time, but I'm struggling with lack of communication. Surely Canyon can't have that many warranty claims going on in Australia that they can't call each customer on a weekly basis to update them?

Anyway.... anyone keen on a cut price brand new Spectral CF frame?

Z

Zaf

I have 2...so I'm lucky that way.

Yep, still waiting. Contacted the Melbourne service center today and they indicated that the replacement frame has not yet shipped from Germany. It's due to leave "some time" next week. It need to go to Melbourne and then on to me in Sydney. I'm not holding out for delivery before the end of March.

In light of this, I've looked at going down a different route and buying a different brand frame and swapping components over.

I understand that these things take time, but I'm struggling with lack of communication. Surely Canyon can't have that many warranty claims going on in Australia that they can't call each customer on a weekly basis to update them?

Anyway.... anyone keen on a cut price brand new Spectral CF frame?
That's a real bummer!
My dealings with them for the extra stuff for the Strive (it needs a special tool to remove the top shock mount as well as an adaptor for the chainguide mounts to fit ISCG05) and they've been really good at getting that stuff to me, and further, reducing my shipping overhead from getting it sent out of Germany and instead coming from their warehouse stock here in Aus.
Delays in warranty, when my Stumpy cracked I had a good two month turnaround before the new frame was in my possession, still, it hurts to be without a bike you love.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That's a real bummer!
My dealings with them for the extra stuff for the Strive (it needs a special tool to remove the top shock mount as well as an adaptor for the chainguide mounts to fit ISCG05) and they've been really good at getting that stuff to me, and further, reducing my shipping overhead from getting it sent out of Germany and instead coming from their warehouse stock here in Aus.
Delays in warranty, when my Stumpy cracked I had a good two month turnaround before the new frame was in my possession, still, it hurts to be without a bike you love.
The customer service guys are great, and I know the issue is with the system that canyon have for warranty claims.
They were prepared to post out a lower pivot bolt as soon as I contacted them, but I think the system of recording and dealing with warranty is a complex one.

I've just dropped my mates SB5c in for a potential cracked front triangle. Left it in the shop at 10am..... it was ready for collection at 7pm the same day. New front triangle due to a hairline crack. No quibble... no pricking around.... no waiting.

That is above and beyond what I'd expect....

My Spectral was obviously a broken frame and a warranty replacement 3 weeks ago. There's been no argument from Canyon about the legitimacy of the claim. But it's taken them 4 weeks (if they ship next week) before they will ship the replacement?!

That's slack.... and not the fault of the customer service guys in Melbourne.

golden path

Banned
That's a bit ordinary.

1. They don't have a bike they can take the frame off HERE in Australia to look after you?

2. International shipping is pretty fast and easy nowadays.

For a while I was importing and selling certain electronic items from China.....they could have them here in just a few days via DHL after they got payment.

Z

Zaf

The customer service guys are great, and I know the issue is with the system that canyon have for warranty claims.
They were prepared to post out a lower pivot bolt as soon as I contacted them, but I think the system of recording and dealing with warranty is a complex one.

I've just dropped my mates SB5c in for a potential cracked front triangle. Left it in the shop at 10am..... it was ready for collection at 7pm the same day. New front triangle due to a hairline crack. No quibble... no pricking around.... no waiting.

That is above and beyond what I'd expect....

My Spectral was obviously a broken frame and a warranty replacement 3 weeks ago. There's been no argument from Canyon about the legitimacy of the claim. But it's taken them 4 weeks (if they ship next week) before they will ship the replacement?!

That's slack.... and not the fault of the customer service guys in Melbourne.
Absolutely, and admittedly, the delays in my warranty claim with Specialized were due to a slackness that existed within the LBS, the turnaround once at Specialized was amazing. Seems to be the opposite case here, in which your front end service is fantastic but there's clearly an inefficiency in the background. Do you know if you're getting the same colourway delivered? Or the new year model as replacement?