Camp

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
oooooo....

where does one start..... OK, the meat sack is old and fat... and possibly a mid life crisis is coming, full bore head on...... It's been a few years since (insert photo here)

yeah yeah, laugh it up fuzzball..We all went for a three month holiday after thinking work was shite, to Japan, ended up coming back to Aus a number of years later and married...... Returning to Aus was supposed to be a three year (at the most) excursion {like the shit stains life is so organised} before returning to a life of?..... so, it's been a constant spanner in the gears with fires, death of family members, covid... covid... ahhhh, covid... and then rain.... before you know it 5 or more years pass without the meat sock and the ham having some really stranded at the side of the road in a foreign country with no money....... excitement?

So, the fat shite stain is in need of some training (note: we've never done this before [planning] - hence asking for advice)........

reality

The stain is looking for a close to sydney.... (it's a start) to take his totally unprepared grovel bike and do a little practice camping... in the coming months/year to practice cycle camping... for...... well, see above, adverse to planning.... who knows where this leads....

1. Suggestions for camp sites within 100 km of a train station.
  2. start small and then move further and further....
who knows where this leads....

S

p.s. we have a tent... a bike.... it's a grovel bike....

p.s.s. We are not sure why this post was so hard to admit to/post

p.s.s.sx10_4 We did do a google search, but let's face it.. the farkin/rotorburn collective knowledge is better than google

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How do you feel about bogans? Like full blown crazy arse cousin fucking toothless bogans? Because if they don't scare you, then you could try:
  • train to morisset
  • ride up into the watagans
  • camp somewhere
  • return journey.
Im not exaggerating about the kind of freaks you may meet on such a journey.

Alternatively, a much longer train journey could easily get you to Dungog. From there you could have a mix of sealed and gravel roads while pushing up into the Barrington mountains.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Ten Mile Hollow is a good one although not sure if it fits your requirements for access to locomotives.

Ingar campground from the Blue Mountains was on my list just before COVID.

Also heaps of options around the Lithgow area

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Patonga Beach, no trains but you can ferry in. Well equipt camp ground so you won't feel completely lost in the wilderness, plenty of fire trails.

Wouldn't recommend swimming in there atm though.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Thanks for all the suggestions, now... the pig will be taking up camping in the backyard to check tent/sleeping mat/cooking equip.... within the next few weeks (depending on local flooding) we will be taking trips here and there.... in preparation for a bigger adventure.

@cokeonspecialtwodollars @nzhumpy @pink poodle thanks for those suggestions, none of those had come up on the radar... and honestly all look better than the pigs finds.

Oh, I thought this was perhaps a life changing coming out story with pictures of with make up on.
This might be the the first paragraph of a very long book.

@bear the bear Don't often wear lippy, but rock it when we do.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
OK, checked out the tent... still seems to be tent like..... and it seemed to do all things tent like...

Was planning to head out this friday, but totally honest... prediction of 100mm of rain and the recent flooding, living in a flood plain... yeah... not even the meat sack is that stupid.... Might go for a backyard test..... Got the jetboil out of storage and boiled some coffee made some ramen.... and tested the sleeping bag/sleeping mat combo... seems to allow the fat shite to get some rest...

Now.....cycle bags/racks.... got a giant revolt (the damned prik who called it a "grovel bike" - that's a great name).... need us some rack/pannier options... ... any farkers got any good suggestions?

S

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
OK, checked out the tent... still seems to be tent like..... and it seemed to do all things tent like...

Was planning to head out this friday, but totally honest... prediction of 100mm of rain and the recent flooding, living in a flood plain... yeah... not even the meat sack is that stupid.... Might go for a backyard test..... Got the jetboil out of storage and boiled some coffee made some ramen.... and tested the sleeping bag/sleeping mat combo... seems to allow the fat shite to get some rest...

Now.....cycle bags/racks.... got a giant revolt (the damned prik who called it a "grovel bike" - that's a great name).... need us some rack/pannier options... ... any farkers got any good suggestions?

S
You could try a farm camp in Bunningyong?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
You could try a farm camp in Bunningyong?
That's about 900 km away from the pigpen - we is in NSW, western sydney... no, go a little further west... not that far, that's way too nice... yeah.. just there.. ..... Thanks for the suggestion, but unless the meat sock can stay at your place and defile your bathroom prior too and after a camp... that's just a little far...

S

timedward

Likes Dirt
S
I'd avoid panniers and go bikepacking bags (done both) + I think the revolt has some proprietary Giant rack mounting system bullshit?

Panniers:
Pros:
Easy/quick to pack, large volume, good for commuting, easy to find waterproof, can carry additional items on top of rack (see first con)
Cons: Weight distribution, rattle to shit/noisy on rough terrain, terrible for inevitable hike-a-bikes, no access whilst riding, look like shit

Bikepacking bags:
Pros:
Quiet/solid on rougher terrain, weight distribution, good for hike-a-bike, easy access whilst riding
Cons: Generally less volume, less likely to be waterproof (ortlieb are a good option), can be a pain in the ass to pack (you'll get better)

TLDR: Seatpack, framebag and your tent/sleep gear strapped between bars (use ~$10 bunnings grub straps) should set you up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's about 900 km away from the pigpen - we is in NSW, western sydney... no, go a little further west... not that far, that's way too nice... yeah.. just there.. ..... Thanks for the suggestion, but unless the meat sock can stay at your place and defile your bathroom prior too and after a camp... that's just a little far...

S
I'm sure moorey wouldn't mind you doing a big not vegan shit or three at his bunninyong farm stay.

As for panniers, there is a thread on here about that exact subject you should find pretty enlightening. There's a few recommendations for panniers that can carry about 9 litres a piece!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm sure moorey wouldn't mind you doing a big not vegan shit or three at his bunninyong farm stay.

As for panniers, there is a thread on here about that exact subject you should find pretty enlightening. There's a few recommendations for panniers that can carry about 9 litres a piece!
Bottles or goonbags?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

S
I can put you up in our front yard Spankster.

I will even run the extension cord outside so you don't have to rely on solar panels to charge your eThings in the rain.

Beat the rush!!

bear the bear

Is a real bear

S
My go-to is revelate designs https://www.commutercycles.com.au/brand/revelate-designs/
If you are after a pannier type solution look at something like tailfin https://www.tailfin.cc/product/pannier-racks/alloy-racks/alloy-rack/?v=6cc98ba2045f

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I bought the full Apidura Expedition waterproof bag set in 2019, hoping they last me quite a few years. Got the top of the Mawson again next month.

Have 2 BikeBagDude full frame bags, they fit most bikes but stop the carrying of water in the main frame.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
We'd love a tailfin... a bit pricey.... but, so nice...

I bought the full Apidura Expedition waterproof bag set in 2019, hoping they last me quite a few years. Got the top of the Mawson again next month.

Have 2 BikeBagDude full frame bags, they fit most bikes but stop the carrying of water in the main frame.
Such a nice sled.... so, nice.

Thanks for all the tips.....