Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
All for you or kids ? Cross kings or Pirelli for your race bike ?
New Pirellis for my race wheels, they're the same as the old Pirellis, which are going on my daily wheels. Then I can start rotating them through one at a time as I kill them off.

Conties were cheap and are going on the Man-Childs school hack, hopefully ghetto-tubeless so the three corner Jack's stop screwing him over.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
New Pirellis for my race wheels, they're the same as the old Pirellis, which are going on my daily wheels. Then I can start rotating them through one at a time as I kill them off.

Conties were cheap and are going on the Man-Childs school hack, hopefully ghetto-tubeless so the three corner Jack's stop screwing him over.
Been looking at the Pirelli trail due to the lack of Vittorias.
Tyre choice is giving me the shits more than any other component.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep. Smooth process and awesome support when there was a packing oopsie that scratched a frame. Would recommend.
How do you deal with pricing in advance if you're not sure of the dimensions the item will be shipped in? Or do they remove the items from the vendor's packing and put in a new box that you pre-approve?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How do you deal with pricing in advance if you're not sure of the dimensions the item will be shipped in? Or do they remove the items from the vendor's packing and put in a new box that you pre-approve?
Ummm... I dont remember exactly it was a while ago! I think I just made some guesstimates with the calculator and crossed my fingers - I used the consolidation service and had stuff from about 5 different sellers in the US repacked into one big box. I certainly remember being happy with the shipping costs in the end.

Don't forget also that you pay US taxes because the seller is shipping to Florida.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
unfortunately the part I want I get

This item cannot be shipped to Australia due to manufacturer restrictions”
You might be able to get around it if they are willing to ship to Aust Post Shopmate or My US or another similar forwarding service.

Some retailers don't want to ship to these usually Portland postbox but some do.

EBay's Global Shipping might get around some geo blocking but they have their own restrictions on what can be sent - like suspension dampeners where they don't like to ship oil based products.

Geoblocking is a PITA but if you are really keen on something and ok to get a bit more spendy then you might not be done just yet.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Some car parts from Estonia that were ordered last monday arrived today. My coffee order from Melbourne from about 3 weeks ago is MIA...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Some car parts from Estonia that were ordered last monday arrived today. My coffee order from Melbourne from about 3 weeks ago is MIA...
yeah, sheeit is farked up at NarcolepsyPost. Anything from WA to Melb or Bris/QLD to Melb seems to go ok, but forget anything coming from Syd/NSW to Melb coming regular post. even express has been taking a week or more.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone bought anything from Wiggle or CRC lately? When back about 5 pages but couldn't see anything.

Not willing to do the 1 month wait plus the obligatory Auspost lottery.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Anyone bought anything from Wiggle or CRC lately? When back about 5 pages but couldn't see anything.

Probably about to jinx myself given I've just placed an order with CRC, but they're typically pretty quick at the moment. My last order of two tyres was less than a week.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Have not ordered from them lately but I always keep a hand in all the overseas shipping themed posts here.

I reckon there must be about 5 people since x-mas that have reported less than a week for CRC, they are certainly #1 for overseas shipping at the moment.

ausdb

Being who he is

Last week I got a dropper and pedals from CRC, less than a week to Perth from dispatch notification.

Last edited: