Brake issues thread

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It's one of those more annoyingly fiddly rather than wildly difficult jobs. Maybe PM me if you want to have a crack at it yourself, I might be able to assist some.
I'll probs badger you about this too when I get around to it

PJO

in me vL comy

Learnt my new thing for the day.
Follow it up with this one:

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Interesting you should say that because Hope say to lube their pistons.

I don't think there would be any point in lubing mineral oil based brakes the oil must work it's way between the seal and the piston.
I've lubricated shimano pistons with mineral oils before and they do nothing to improve the stickiness. The silicone grease I used on the hope pistons somewhat reduced their stickiness, but I have to reapply them very often.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting you should say that because Hope say to lube their pistons.

I don't think there would be any point in lubing mineral oil based brakes the oil must work it's way between the seal and the piston.
I think the trick is to just use a very fine smear. Seems most home mechanics read "apply grease to" and just put gobs of the stuff everywhere, then it picks up dirt and debris and jams up. I used a tiny smear of SRAM DOT-compatible grease last time I had Hope calipers apart (basically just enough to make the seal glisten), and they were lovely and slippery afterwards.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Working in shops for 10+ years and this was the first GMBN video that actually taught me something.
That bit at 10.50 is new to me. Not sure I understand why it works but it seems to have sorted out a recurring problem I have. Cheers for posting