Brake issues thread

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d like to follow up on this and thought it better placed here.
Interested to hear how you go with this. Love the feel of my X2's, but the (limited amount of) pad material overheats pretty quickly under long/repeat heavy braking.
I’m having a similar problem with my x2s.
January trip this year I rode some steep loose trails blind and obviously indulged in too much dad braking. Clearly heat related like you say. The lbs popped the pistons and lubed everything to get the pads retracting again but it’s started happening again, and without long descents involved. The trigger was probably my first Redhill ride for a while.

Some thoughts I’ve had:
It’s just the rear, but that would be my (lack of) technique.
They haven’t had a full system bleed for a while, could the fluid be cooked and expanding more than it should?
I’m using xt rotors atm which definitely have less holes for heat dispersion than Hope
Should I just have bigger brakes, E4 Calipers?
Full rebuild? Seals are ok apparently.

I’ve had these particular brakes on 2 bikes now (5 years or so) and this is a new thing. X2s also on my commuter have years of service and have been faultless. And I’m a short arse who doesn’t weigh a heap. The last week I’ve been doing half my ride with the rear dragging and pushing the pads back with a flathead at the end.

If anyone would like to chime in that would be great. I’m going in circles thinking about it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I’d like to follow up on this and thought it better placed here.

I’m having a similar problem with my x2s.
January trip this year I rode some steep loose trails blind and obviously indulged in too much dad braking. Clearly heat related like you say. The lbs popped the pistons and lubed everything to get the pads retracting again but it’s started happening again, and without long descents involved. The trigger was probably my first Redhill ride for a while.

Some thoughts I’ve had:
It’s just the rear, but that would be my (lack of) technique.
They haven’t had a full system bleed for a while, could the fluid be cooked and expanding more than it should?
I’m using xt rotors atm which definitely have less holes for heat dispersion than Hope
Should I just have bigger brakes, E4 Calipers?
Full rebuild? Seals are ok apparently.

I’ve had these particular brakes on 2 bikes now (5 years or so) and this is a new thing. X2s also on my commuter have years of service and have been faultless. And I’m a short arse who doesn’t weigh a heap. The last week I’ve been doing half my ride with the rear dragging and pushing the pads back with a flathead at the end.

If anyone would like to chime in that would be great. I’m going in circles thinking about it.
Sounds like you need new seals. The shape of the seals help to retract your pistons. It sounds like yours have warped.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you need new seals. The shape of the seals help to retract your pistons. It sounds like yours have warped.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Cheers.
Lbs said the seals were still good but I’m not game to pop the pistons myself. SJS is probably the go for that stuff I guess?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Cheers.
Lbs said the seals were still good but I’m not game to pop the pistons myself. SJS is probably the go for that stuff I guess?
I reckon so. I have an old set of X2 that I'd like to rebuild, contacted the local distributor for advice on what I might need for a caliper refresh and they kept suggesting I take it to an LBS to determine what was needed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
SJS cycles are indeed awesome for spares. Sometimes TartyBikes has some bits and pieces too.

You mention the LBS checked and lubed the seals (requiring piston removal), but they haven’t had a bleed in a while?

There’s the chance if they’ve been bled on the bike (with pads and rotors still installed, rather than bleed blocks) the system could be overfull with brake fluid (can’t fully retract the piston possibly?). But yeah, fresh seals won’t hurt and if a full bleed hasn’t been done in a while that would be wise too.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just on the off chance you want to remove the bore-cap to clean inside the caliper, just be aware it unscrews into the caliper (as in, gets removed from the piston bore) on the X2's.
Weird. I’ve only got the bore cap tool for the mono minis and certainly wouldn’t have thought about that. Reckon I’ll outsource this to Astro to make sure it’s done properly

beeb

Weird. I’ve only got the bore cap tool for the mono minis and certainly wouldn’t have thought about that. Reckon I’ll outsource this to Astro to make sure it’s done properly
I removed the bore-cap side piston to replace the bore cap on my X2's when they were new (because colour-anodised bling doesn't install itself!). It wasn't particularly difficult (and seals would only take you a couple of minutes more), it was just I wouldn't have expected it, and probably would've munted the bore caps trying to unscrew them otherwise.

I certainly was glad I happened to look at the "exploded" parts diagram before starting that's for sure...

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I removed the bore-cap side piston to replace the bore cap on my X2's when they were new (because colour-anodised bling doesn't install itself!). It wasn't particularly difficult (and seals would only take you a couple of minutes more), it was just I wouldn't have expected it, and probably would've munted the bore caps trying to unscrew them otherwise.

I certainly was glad I happened to look at the "exploded" parts diagram before starting that's for sure...
Couldn’t be that difficult I agree. Right about the limit of my expertise probably

beeb

Couldn’t be that difficult I agree. Right about the limit of my expertise probably
It's one of those more annoyingly fiddly rather than wildly difficult jobs. Maybe PM me if you want to have a crack at it yourself, I might be able to assist some.