Brake Caliper Upgrade Options - Shimano v Shigura

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I’m chasing mwoarr braking power after finding the limits of my 2 pot XT’s in a few situations recently. Probably been in denial about them being enough for my weight for quite a while.

I’d rather keep the current m8000 levers given my shifter and dropper are ispec-ii, so more into caliper upgrades.

Options I’m looking at are:

SLX 7120 at around $225 delivered f&r (keep current 180 rotors)
XT8120 at around $285 delivered f&r (keep current 180 rotors)
Magura MT5 at around $290 delivered f&r, with Magura rotors (203f/180r)and levers (could possibly sell to offset cost)

From riding other bikes I think 180 rotors with 4 pots is enough power for me.

Shimano is obviously the easiest plug and play option. Any difference between SLX and XT calipers?

Magura sound easy enough to setup too, and my hoses are a bit ratty so fresh ones wouldn’t hurt. But a bit harder and more expensive to get pads etc when I need.

Hoping for same or better modulation with more power from whatever option I go with.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
When you order just Shimano callipers they do not come with hoses.
Can you re-use your current hoses ?

If you need to order new hoses it is often cheaper to order the whole set (lever/hose/calliper) than it is to order calliper and hose separately.

I am running XT M8100 levers with BH90 hoses and MT520 callipers with Saint/Zee H03C finned sintered pads.
If I was to do it again I would probably go with all XT M8120 setup with standard finned sintered pads.
I like the feel of the XT M8100 levers.

Last edited:

smiffy

Likes Bikes
I believe there is No difference in performance, just the material and finish and weight thats different.
Funny enough pushy's charge more for slx than xt four piston set.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
When you order just Shimano callipers they do not come with hoses.
Can you re-use your current hoses ?

If you need to order new hoses it is often cheaper to order the whole set (lever/hose/calliper) than it is to order calliper and hose separately.

I am running XT M8100 levers with BH90 hoses and MT520 callipers with Saint/Zee H03C finned sintered pads.
If I was to do it again I would probably go with all XT M8120 setup.
I like the feel of the XT M8100 levers.
Yeah, can reuse the same hose.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m chasing mwoarr braking power after finding the limits of my 2 pot XT’s in a few situations recently. Probably been in denial about them being enough for my weight for quite a while.

I’d rather keep the current m8000 levers given my shifter and dropper are ispec-ii, so more into caliper upgrades.

Options I’m looking at are:

SLX 7120 at around $225 delivered f&r (keep current 180 rotors)
XT8120 at around $285 delivered f&r (keep current 180 rotors)
Magura MT5 at around $290 delivered f&r, with Magura rotors (203f/180r)and levers (could possibly sell to offset cost)

From riding other bikes I think 180 rotors with 4 pots is enough power for me.

Shimano is obviously the easiest plug and play option. Any difference between SLX and XT calipers?

Magura sound easy enough to setup too, and my hoses are a bit ratty so fresh ones wouldn’t hurt. But a bit harder and more expensive to get pads etc when I need.

Hoping for same or better modulation with more power from whatever option I go with.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
What pads are you using. Upgrading to good aftermarket pads can make more difference than a bigger caliper on stock pads.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What pads are you using. Upgrading to good aftermarket pads can make more difference than a bigger caliper on stock pads.
I’ve always used stock resin. Don’t really like the feel of sintered. Anything you’d suggest for m8000’s?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’ve always used stock resin. Don’t really like the feel of sintered. Anything you’d suggest for m8000’s?
Galfer have been good for me - notable improvement with Shimano 9120s. About to try them with Saints.

Also I think Saint calipers work with M8000s? Less modulation than a light switch, but easily best consistency and performance of anything Shimano I've tried.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've got 3 sets of shiguras now, definitely prefer these to any stock Shimano or magura set I've had. All 3 are zee levers (m640?) With mt5 calipers and hoses.

Changeover is simple enough. use the magura hose from the caliper up, snip the hose at the magura lever nut, use a Shimano olive/nut/cover, bleed it with a magura bleed kit.

I feel like it has a lot more modulation and power. Modulation is hard to argue with, but possibly pads account for some of the power gains? I've also started using cheap eBay pads for these with reasonable results. Power is still amazing, possibly eat through them quicker though. The pads ARE more of a pain to replace, and bleeding isn't as simple and mess free as Shimano, but personally I'm going to say it's worth it

Results may vary, and you'll struggle to find an AMB article comparing them to the latest offering from hope and SRAM, but I'm definitely team shigura

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've got 3 sets of shiguras now, definitely prefer these to any stock Shimano or magura set I've had. All 3 are zee levers (m640?) With mt5 calipers and hoses.

Changeover is simple enough. use the magura hose from the caliper up, snip the hose at the magura lever nut, use a Shimano olive/nut/cover, bleed it with a magura bleed kit.

I feel like it has a lot more modulation and power. Modulation is hard to argue with, but possibly pads account for some of the power gains? I've also started using cheap eBay pads for these with reasonable results. Power is still amazing, possibly eat through them quicker though. The pads ARE more of a pain to replace, and bleeding isn't as simple and mess free as Shimano, but personally I'm going to say it's worth it

Results may vary, and you'll struggle to find an AMB article comparing them to the latest offering from hope and SRAM, but I'm definitely team shigura
If you're getting more modulation and power, it sounds like the Magura calipers are using larger pistons than the Shimano.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Bang for buck;
1. larger rotors
2. sintered pads
3. 4 pot callipers

Feel is something else again but I am in the camp that the feel comes from the lever.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I used to love my M785 XT 2 pot brakes but being a xxxxl large bloke it was too easy to overheat them even with bigger rotors and metallic pads.

I upgraded to XT 4 Pots and they are fantastic, same feel as the 2 pots but better performance and heat dissapation.

I recently bought a second hand set of Deore 4 pots and again they are superior to the M785s.

So my recommendation is to simply sell the 2 pots and use the funds to upgrade to some used Shimano 4 pots as you wont really have to pay that much difference.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Bang for buck;
1. larger rotors
2. sintered pads
3. 4 pot callipers

Feel is something else again but I am in the camp that the feel comes from the lever.
I've always had sintered pads and 203 rotor on the front with M8000 2 pots and yet to find them wanting but I have been max 100 kegs since the current bike, sounds like some of you are carrying more chunk than me.

I will definitely admit the 4 pots are supoer powerful though, I've ridden the SLX ones.

Was talking to a mate last week about rotors, mine both have 3000km, still seem just fine, made a joke about how he just uses his brakes too much ;)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I can't give a personal recommendations as stock formula pads work for me. I think I have seen @Oddjob and @wkkie talking about Uber bike race matrix pads for heavy duty stopping.
Yes, I rate the Uberbike pads. Been using the race matrix for years and have recently bought a few sets of the E-Matrix and have been impressed with those. I can't speak of their longevity just yet, but the power is very good!

Also I've just got sick of my Shimano levers (m-7&8000's) shitting (well pissing) the bed and have gone to TRP DHR Evo's on the big bike and also very happy with those. The lever feel is very solid and they have the ispec 2 compatibility and use the Shimano size pads as well. They're worth a look.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm another Uberbike Race Matrix fanboi. Haven't slotted them into the current bike yet but they were brilliant in the M8120 four pots that were on the orange bike.

@ashes_mtb a trick to watch for is when changing from m8000 2 pots to m8120 fours, the bolt that screws into the caliper to attach the hose is different. The hose and banjo are the same, you just need to get the right bolt because the calipers aren't supplied with them.

I want to do Shigura, can't justify the cost for new Magura calipers though.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Also I've just got sick of my Shimano levers (m-7&8000's) shitting (well pissing) the bed and have gone to TRP DHR Evo's on the big bike and also very happy with those. The lever feel is very solid and they have the ispec 2 compatibility and use the Shimano size pads as well. They're worth a look.
Just going to leave this here.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Need to get myself an order in at Uberbike. My old faves of Trickstuff Power dried up and I went standard Shimano.

Still got a few new sets of SRAM Trickstuff powers here but no more SRAM in the house.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Need to get myself an order in at Uberbike. My old faves of Trickstuff Power dried up and I went standard Shimano.

Still got a few new sets of SRAM Trickstuff powers here but no more SRAM in the house.
Pm sent