Bike riders running red lights

Big JD

Wheel size expert
To the 5 different cyclist I witnessed running red lights this morning in the Melbourne CBD - get your sh*t together. Other road users are just looking for reasons to justify their negative opiniun of cyclists. You are making it harder for those that are trying to highlight our issues and make cycling more accessible / safer and accepted mode of transport. Four of the five were SS Fixie Hipsters - if that means anything.
Please folks obey the road rules (it aint hard) otherwise we wont have a leg to stand on.
JD

scblack

Leucocholic
I saw a pedestrian walk against a red light the other day........

And a car let a person out in a No Stopping zone.......

Naughty people.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I saw a car change lanes without indicating. Its 2012 and the world is ending

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Number one behaviour that non-cyclist complain to me about.

Ridiculous behaviour that can insights aggressive behaviour from motorists and I have seen cyclist almost hit running lights MANY times!

The road is not a playground, so take some responsibility for yourself.

It is not a race to the bottom of who, cyclists or motorists, will break the most road rules first.

rant over.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Ride in the same manner you would expect drivers to behave (when commuting anyway)

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
To the 5 different MOTORISTS I witnessed running red lights this morning in the Melbourne CBD - get your sh*t together. Other road users are just looking for reasons to justify their negative opiniun of MOTORISTS. You are making it harder for those that are trying to highlight our issues and make MOTORING more accessible / safer and accepted mode of transport. Four of the five were TRADIES - if that means anything.
Please folks obey the road rules (it aint hard) otherwise we wont have a leg to stand on.

Not to mention the dozens of MOTORISTS who failed to stop at a stop sign.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To the 5 different MOTORISTS I witnessed running red lights this morning in the Melbourne CBD - get your sh*t together. Other road users are just looking for reasons to justify their negative opiniun of MOTORISTS. You are making it harder for those that are trying to highlight our issues and make MOTORING more accessible / safer and accepted mode of transport. Four of the five were TRADIES - if that means anything.

Not to mention the dozens of MOTORISTS who failed to stop at a stop sign.

Seriously?

There is no good reason for anyone to disobey the road rules, be it in a motor vehicle or bicycle.

We all know that some motorists disobey the road rules, but this does not give cyclists permission to disobey them as well.

This thread is about cyclists. Not motorists.

I don't want to witness the next rider who gets hit running a red. Who would?

T

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Its not me its them

Why are we so quick to pass the accountability to others. I am not perfect and nor am I suggesting others arent at fault - simply stating my observations on commuters who have more to loose by running a red light or failing to stop than a car. Both are illegal.
Seriously if you want a safer enviroment and respect from other road users - lead by example dont pass the buck.
I do not work for A Current Affair, Victorian Police or Bicycling Australia. If we continue to take the piss on the roads we loose our voice for equality/ respect and improved infrastructure. What are we ................... 15yrs old. Would you want your kids do this?
Peachy - I accept your appology mate and need you to lead us through this change - I vote you as the figurehead for our new League - Cyclist with a Conscience (CWC). "Yes ladies and gentleman - I was a breaker of road rules and now I want to spread the word of the CWC so that we can all live together in harmony. Well done Peachy

scblack

Leucocholic
Who's passing the buck???

I run red lights at times on my roadie, in Sydney. But in a very careful and restricted manner. Be silly not to really, in certain situations. Never at a major intersection, or dangerously, or in a way that inconveniences others. You have to be careful of course.

Maybe some do it badly, but I'd guess thats a very small minority.

beardi

Likes Dirt
With you on this one John - we're our own worst enemy when it comes to gaining a foothold on the roads. The lynch mob known as the public are looking for any tiny indiscretion to justify why cyclists don't belong on the roads; people running "safely" running red lights is exactly the sort of behavior that we don't need.

We can sit there and take the moral high ground (cars run red lights too) but that won't improve the relationship between riders and drivers. Has anyone actually considered that maybe we need to take the lead on this one? Be the bigger person, so to speak.

indica

Serial flasher
Traffic lights are the issue here. They need to be removed. There are no lights where I live thus this is not an issue.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I run red lights at times on my roadie, in Sydney. But in a very careful and restricted manner. Be silly not to really, in certain situations. Never at a major intersection, or dangerously, or in a way that inconveniences others. You have to be careful of course.

I just can't understand how you can justify running a red light. Why do you think you have the right to do this? I'm not just trying to be argumentative, but I just can't comprehend how you can possibly justify breaking any rules that are put there for EVERYONES safety.

Behave how you want others to behave. I live in Melbourne and commute most days. I've also lived in the UK and have cycle in many other European cities such as Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Paris. Bloody busy cities, but all road users respect each other and it all works. Granted, much of the infrastructure is vastly better than what we have, but that is no excuse to break the rules. Most days in Melbourne I have many times that I feel my safety threatened by cars.

Nothing's going to change till attitudes change.

But hey, I guess it's the people that run red lights "badly", that are the problem......

redbruce

Eats Squid

I dont run red lights full stop and especially on a bike, never have accidentally or deliberately. To try and justify your unconcionable behaviour in any way is a joke.

Its illegal. What gives you the right to decide what law you will adhere to and what you are above?

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like one of the incromprehensibly stupid posts I've ever read on this forum, or my sarcasm detector has run out of batteries...