BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Anyone having issues with singletrail racks and rust? Seems the anti vax ex NSW rep has a beef with Currie and is shitposting about them all over the socials. I’ve seen a bit of surface rust on some moving parts that rub like the springs in the tilt mech and the undersides of the rope locks but nothing too serious.
I feel like If you drove it on the beach and didn’t give it a rinse down every now and then it could be an issue, but he’s making out like they are failing left right and centre.

http://instagr.am/p/Co4DRoSBsgo/
Look at all that good steel he cut through to have a sook about some surface rust... That thing still has at least 100 years of rusting left in it.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Look at all that good steel he cut through to have a sook about some surface rust... That thing still has at least 100 years of rusting left in it.
See the “rusty bolt” he couldn’t get out because he didn’t put a shifter on the otherside. Then when it came out it was clean as. Bloke has no concept of corrosive processes or safety gear.

Attachments

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
See the “rusty bolt” he couldn’t get out because he didn’t put a shifter on the otherside. Then when it came out it was clean as. Bloke has no concept of corrosive processes or safety gear.
Yeah, he sounds like a dick!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I hate the fact the Deathracks dude is such a knob. When people ask me what brand my Deathrack is I just say I made it which is partly true. Pity. It’s a great rack but not gonna recommend it
Pretty sure it’s the death rack guy giving him plenty of stick on FB.

moorey

call me Mia
I think it largely comes down to jealousy TBH. I honestly tatethe SingleTrial is the superior rack on the market, but have no criticisms of any of the other leading brands, it’s just a preference. Even when Jordy fired up at me and started with the threats, he didn’t seem to understand I wasn’t criticising his rack in the slightest, only potential issues with some buyers wanting to weld them up themselves, rather than pay a local engineer. If I was a competent welder, and wanting to save some money, I would absolutely have a go at a rack like his. That said, I love the back up and ongoing support that Mitch offers for his product.
Mike on the other hand, he is a certified cooker. I realise that years ago, and can tell you that Mitch has great regrets about ever going into partnership with him.
Anyway, flogging a dead horse here. Most people already have allegiance to one of the brands, and no publicity, either negative or positive seems to change that.
People are pretty parochial as well, and tend to buy the rack that is popular in the region/circle. No one around Greenvalleys is likely to buy anything other than spotX. Shingleback have cornered the market around Northern Vic and a big chunk of New South Wales (they also have by far the biggest marketing budget, media presence, and big name rider influencers).
Would I have bought an ST if Mitch wasn’t local? I like to think so. I looked at all the racks people were using at events before I knew he was local or had met him, but the local thing undeniably influenced my decision.
Hopefully this shit is blowing over. I’m not following it on FB, but Mike is sure to run out of steam soon.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
The online saga was pretty hilarious to watch from the sidelines

My rack decision many moons ago just came down to supporting local… at the time that was George and iSi.

I still have it and it still works like the day I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
As an Engineer, I can't weld, so hope they're taking them to competent (and insured) welders :p
I understand they recommend you do, and have people they’ve linked customers to, but you’re seemingly more that welcome to tackle it yourself. Certainly above my pay grade.