BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
When your missus thinks work is beneath her and lives a coffee life with her cronies, dressed in designer gear and driving an AMG while you pay for it. The only thing I feel for is the poor chunt who is putting up with the selfish bitch.
That’s a pretty fucked statement overall. There are shitty men and shitty women. Sometimes shitty men want that trophy wife who is all about looks because it makes them look good, then they resent having to lay in the bed they made. I’m not advocating for shitty people on either side, I’m just sick of the narrative put forward by so many shitty men

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That’s a pretty fucked statement overall.
Well I've witnessed it first hand, funny thing is if the bloke was treating his wife that way it would be domestic, financial, emotional and psychological abuse. It still is but when you have people shouting its a fucked statement, we just don't worry about the blokes.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
This is veering very much off topic. But I'll just say that even if you think you know someone well, you might not know all of what goes on in their personal life. The external stuff we see doesn't always allude to what is going on behind closed doors. It could be very hard to tell the difference between what might be a woman demanding the finer things in life, or one who is held to it and has to keep up appearances for fear of ramifications from a controlling and abusive partner. Personally I've seen more of the latter than the former. Both exist, but we can't assume the situation.

Similarly, we don't know everybody's financial situation and there are extremely varied reasons as to why someone might work extra hours. Not just for luxuries but for the bare necessities on top of paying a mortgage, rent or prior loans.

takai

Eats Squid
Ok, so back to bike racks. What is the go with vertical racks and the 60% rule? Seems like everyone is running them, but the police have very different interpretations of what makes up the 60%.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Measure your wheelbase, calculate 60% of it. Nothing should protrude beyond that distance from your rear axle. Not a kayak on your roof, PVC pipe coming home from bunnings, a ladder, or a bike rack (including bikes).

That's a very simple way to put it, but that's the rule. It seems like interpretation is varied. A crew cab utewill often fall foul given where the hitch is compared to the rear axle. It's already burning a lot of real estate.

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, its more the "interpretation is varied" bit that I am interested in.

Would seem that unless you are carrying kids bikes, pretty much every 4x4 etc falls foul of the 60% rule. Even with the crappy Repco swan neck things. New MU-X, and new Kluger are both only 610mm excess overhang, Paj, 300 series, Everest etc are all < 500mm.

Hell, even all of the old crank racks we used for decades had a longer than 500mm bar.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah, its more the "interpretation is varied" bit that I am interested in.

Would seem that unless you are carrying kids bikes, pretty much every 4x4 etc falls foul of the 60% rule. Even with the crappy Repco swan neck things. New MU-X, and new Kluger are both only 610mm excess overhang, Paj, 300 series, Everest etc are all < 500mm.

Hell, even all of the old crank racks we used for decades had a longer than 500mm bar.
It's a "don't drive like a dick, draw attention to yourself and ruin it for everyone" scenario.

Make sure there's nothing flapping around, everything is secure, and don't drive like a dick.

And treat it like Fight Club.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Ok, so back to bike racks. What is the go with vertical racks and the 60% rule? Seems like everyone is running them, but the police have very different interpretations of what makes up the 60%.
This thread is about bike racks? Since when? ;)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah a real life working tradie ute that doesn’t have a single fucking stupid ARB accessory adornment!
I dunno, those bling wheels and fat tyres are bringing down its honest work use credibility a bit...

Jpez

Down on the left!
You can keep the fatties, but some rusty sunraysias would help ;)
I do actually like the old Sunraysias. Those rims on there are actually Mazda rims. They do look a bit naff. They got thrown in and I don’t love em but they look better than the stock steel rims it was specced with.

Now back on topic dammit! @Oddjob I wish you’d stop hurting our eyes with those hideous saddles of yours!