BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I still reckon the 100mm shorter bottom rail would make that look and feel a bit better.
@Sheepie has been an absolute legend with this and sorted me out with the shorter bottom rail and lockable hitch pin, pulls the rack in closer to the car considerably.

I was concerned that the tailgate would foul on the rack when opening but I didn't need to worry, still opens when the rack is lent back on the third hole.

Before

After

20230304_152305.jpg

Now quick question...how important is this sprung washer?

sprung washer.jpg

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
it’s useful for stopping the thread coming loose, guess I’m sending you the updated version after all lol
Nah, she'll be right, I'll source a thinner washer and see if I can buy a mm or two there, if it's any longer the lock will foul on the 7 point plug

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
The brass bush on the lock side is important, the brass washer on the hex side can be replaced by an engineers flat washer - it’s only there to protect your hitch from the spring, and push out a surface for the spring on rangers lol

I suppose a lot of the anti rattle threaded hitch pins don’t have a spring washer, but we did have some people who shuttle report it coming loose, so that’s why I put it in.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Notice OE don't use spring washers on their cars anywhere?
We did tests at work and they are crap .. correct torque and flange bolt/nuts are the way forward..
Since when does the general public use the correct torque?

They’re an easy cheap solution for a thread meant to be removed and replaced often, and we haven’t had the issue since implementing them? - for the record they’re on my Suzuki motorcycle where a bolt goes into a threaded hole without an external nut, it’s where I got the idea, I figure if it works for a company like that with much more output than myself it can’t be a bad way to go for a similar situation?

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Since when does the general public use the correct torque?

They’re an easy cheap solution for a thread meant to be removed and replaced often, and we haven’t had the issue since implementing them? - for the record they’re on my Suzuki motorcycle where a bolt goes into a threaded hole without an external nut, it’s where I got the idea, I figure if it works for a company like that with much more output than myself it can’t be a bad way to go for a similar situation?
How many parts on a pushy have laser etched torque specs on them? Almost all...

What suzi have you got?
What fastener is it?. It seems odd..

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
How many parts on a pushy have laser etched torque specs on them? Almost all...

What suzi have you got?
What fastener is it?. It seems odd..
How many members of the general public own multiple torque wrenches to cover the span between an M5 and and M16 thread? I can’t say I’ve ever seen someone grab the torque wrench to put on a hitch bolt?

Either way I’m not going to scrap a working solution that fits the application because someone on an online forum that hasn’t used the said apparatus doesn’t like them? I am always open to improvement, but I need to consider everyone that may use it, not just those with a technical background.

They’re the socket head cap screws that tie down my tank to the frame near the bars on my SV650 - again I figure it’s because they’re often required to be removed for maintenance?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How many members of the general public own multiple torque wrenches to cover the span between an M5 and and M16 thread? I can’t say I’ve ever seen someone grab the torque wrench to put on a hitch bolt?
Guilty :cool:

2-20Nm 1/4" drive
10-50Nm 3/8" drive
42-210Nm 1/2" drive

But I certainly dont use one for anything to do with a bike rack... bike rack bolt tightness is measured in ugga duggas.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If the bolt coming loose or shearing can result in death (such as a suspension arm coming loose) or catastrophic failures (like a conrod coming out the side of a block...), I like to use a torque wrench... Otherwise guttentight will do.

1/4 drive 4-20, and my 1/2 drive Warren and Brown for up to 190 I think.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here

Either way I’m not going to scrap a working solution that fits the application because someone on an online forum that hasn’t used the said apparatus doesn’t like them? I am always open to improvement, but I need to consider everyone that may use it, not just those with a technical background.

They’re the socket head cap screws that tie down my tank to the frame near the bars on my SV650 - again I figure it’s because they’re often required to be removed for maintenance?
I don't think the argument is as much about correct torque as it is that spring washers do not do the job people expect them to do. The Bolt Science link that I posted earlier is but one that demonstrates that spring washers when under vibrational load are actually worse than not using them.

ozzybmx

Off topic, if anyone is looking for a big torque wrench.

I ordered one along a while back with several sets of brake pads when I upgraded my standard Toyota pads to DBA extremes, also done the missus car.

The brake caliper bolts need torqued and then wheel nuts... its $50 and comes with all the sockets.

Calibration ? Who cares if it 0-20% out. I have no idea what 200Nm feels like so if its a bit out, it was closer than me guessing.

Free post over $99.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Off topic, if anyone is looking for a big torque wrench.

I ordered one along a while back with several sets of brake pads when I upgraded my standard Toyota pads to DBA extremes, also done the missus car.

The brake caliper bolts need torqued and then wheel nuts... its $50 and comes with all the sockets.

Calibration ? Who cares if it 0-20% out. I have no idea what 200Nm feels like so if its a bit out, it was closer than me guessing.

Free post over $99.
Always a good investment. Does my head in that some people think ugga duggas are good enough for bolts that will kill you...

ozzybmx

Always a good investment. Does my head in that some people think ugga duggas are good enough for bolts that will kill you...
Theres a time for ugga duggas and then there are those bolts that need a bit more thought.

Brake calipers bolts on a 2.5t vehicle are up there and its also nice to do your wheel nuts too.

Last edited: