BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ah well, European problems ;) :)
No, weird Australian designed tow bars and the funky adapters needed problems!

I need to redo the lights and plate holder on mine as the current setup was a bit of an experiment that worked well enough I never got around to doing betterer, but am still very pleased with the euro style tow bar and the clampy contraption :)

Obviously not going to work for a many bikes vertical rack, but I wouldn’t put that sort of weight on the towbar of any normal car anyway - better to get a light 6x4 trailer and mount multiple racks to that.

Haakon

Australia made cars are forefront in modern design... the popular and sought after Aussie Commo, Falcon and Mitsi Magna :oops:
Bet seriously though, is that flat tongue type bar used elsewhere? I know the Americans do the square receiver thing.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
just be sure to get yourself an accessory plate.
is this for mounting the number plate? It looked as though most of these things come with a mounting point for a number plate.

they both seem to be good options if they are carbon frame compatible have a chat to Yakima or a stockist as they’ll know the product
think one of those yakimas would be fine. Was just posting here to see if there's anything else i should consider.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bet seriously though, is that flat tongue type bar used elsewhere? I know the Americans do the square receiver thing.
I dunno mate, I don't pay that much attention to cars these days.

My mate was in the same predicament with his new Subaru Forester dildo style 'invisible towbar'.

Seems towbar fitment has the same regulations as BB design.

euro towbars Invisible arrows-700x700.jpg

Last edited:

Haakon

I dunno mate, I don't pay that much attention to cars these days.

My mate was in the same predicament with his new Subaru Forester dildo style 'invisible towbar'.

Seems towbar fitment has the same regulations a BB design.

View attachment 394982
Haha, those detachable ones are a bit trickier. I’m a tightarse, I got the much cheaper bolt on variety.
Still a dildo though…

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Finally got my shit together and bought a bigger rack, unfortunately it appears that the first two holes have been cross threaded at some point so looks like I'll be of to a machinist for a re-tap.

Rack.jpg
rack2.jpg

nzhumpy

Thanks @Sheepie, that's awesome. It's a solid well made bit of kit.

It's a shame because the I want to tuck it in as close to the car as possible but can only use the furthest hitch location at present.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
All good, just hit us up on the email if you need any support getting it working right for you.

FYI we do also have a 100mm shorter bottom rail available on the website if you wanted it closer again.

nzhumpy

All good, just hit us up on the email if you need any support getting it working right for you.

FYI we do also have a 100mm shorter bottom rail available on the website if you wanted it closer again.
Will do a measure and see if I can squeeze it in a 100mm or if the bike wheels will foul on the boot spoiler, will put an order in anyway as I want a lockable hitch pin as well.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

First impressions. This new rack is super solid !

There are so many better design differences over my V1.

The EzRFS tilting system makes loading much easier, my tow hitch sits 650mm off the ground so bikes need to be lifted around 300-400mm higher than a normal car to get them on the rack in the first place.

* Wheel baskets are so solid compared to the single sided baskets. Now rated for eeb's.
* Hitch stabiliser is redesigned with a BIG f%#k off bolt now doing the tightening work, so less chance of a stripped bolt.
* Black powdercoat is sweet job (thought time will tell and I know powder always looks good when fresh and new)
* Rope ratchets are really nice, much more secure than bouncing around on bungee cords over bumps.
* EzRFS tilting brings the rack down to 50°-60° tilt to aid loading. On a normal height vehicle you can push the bike up on the rear wheel and roll it on. Still a little bit high for me to roll-up but a small lift gets it up there.
* Pivot tilting is a really easy and smooth action, tilt pedal is also free and easy.
* Number plate board is designed to bungee around the rear wheels of 2 of the bikes and clearly display the plate. Then easily fixed to the rack when travelling empty. I did fit rubber edging to the plate board to stop it rubbing on the rack, this allows it to sit off the powder and will stop it moving and rubbing.
* The rack now has a locking hole right through the rack, so if you were say... travelling around Tassie with 120kg of eeb's on the rack, you can pin/lock the rack in the fully upright position rather than relying on the single lock mechanism.

**Bonus, gets a really nice decal set now with the Aussie made green triangle.

As you could expect with something that is beefed up and super solid, there is an increased weight, I don't know exactly but I would say this rack is around 10kg heavier than my old one.
Still fitted it to the car myself by tilting it right down and sliding the hitch in, I wouldn't really like to try and do it with the hitch in the upright position of ~90°... actually even doing the old one in this manner was risking a back injury.

For me it was definitely worth the upgrade from the V1.

20221211_173751.jpg

20221212_151000.jpg

Last edited:

RapidRob

Likes Bikes
One for the brains trust:
Which rack / bike carrier options should I consider?

Context:
  • 4WD ute, with 330mm overhang between hitch & back of canopy.
  • Needs to carry 2 bikes only
  • Must not impede capacity to put a canoe on the roof rack, when empty of bikes
  • Or, must swing aside to facilitate lugging the canoe up there
  • Ideally can handle rough roads, anything short of proper 4wding
Photos:

ozzybmx

• 4WD ute, with 330mm overhang between hitch & back of canopy.
  • Needs to carry 2 bikes only
  • Must not impede capacity to put a canoe on the roof rack, when empty of bikes
  • Or, must swing aside to facilitate lugging the canoe up there
  • Ideally can handle rough roads, anything short of proper 4wding
ISI extreme x 2

Get the extended length version and it will bridge the 330mm overhang without a hitch extender.

Mooman

Squid

Attachments

Haakon