Best motor ever produced?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
320i, both with the same engine. They might not be the quickest off the mark, but take it past 5500rpm and mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I use to drive my brothers 320i a bit. I found that it took off when I gave it a good kick in the guts when doing 90 odd k's. Other than that, it was a sack of shit :) It did however have a straight through stainless making it sound fairly nice (fuck off loud though). I guess it looked alright though.

In terms of a descent straight six, my vote goes to the 2JZ-GTE.

floody

Wheel size expert
My top 5 would be:
-Datsun L-series fours and sixes
-Toyota 4A-GEU 16 valve
-Small Block Chevrolet
-Volvo B21/23
-BDA Ford

Hud

Likes Dirt
Hafta second the Alfa 4 cyclinder. First used in the 60's and the basics are still used in the current models.

wtr

Likes Dirt
I've always loved the RB26DETT, don't know why I love it so much though. Could it be the thought of one kitted out with Tomei pistons, cam rods and pulleys, matched with a set of 800cc Sard injectors? Or is it that exhilarating sound of a pair of HKS snails? Whatever it is, I'm sold. Pity Nissan ceased their production of 'Godzilla'. Having said that, the V6 in the new GTR has been rumored to be a twin turbo...;)

This, is a cutaway diagram of a stocky.

It is much much more attractive in flesh, like this one:

I would do anything* to hug one...

floody

Wheel size expert
Hafta second the Alfa 4 cyclinder. First used in the 60's and the basics are still used in the current models.
Mmm maybe. I would have suggested the Ford Kent (1959-Ka) or aircooler VW if longevity did it.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Speaking of VW. From memory, the old Beatle's engine was horizontally placed, much like Subaru's EJ layout. Was there ever a connection?:confused:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
They're both Boxer engines. Reliable,logical design,bitch to work on unless it's in a motor bike and even then....

Get your heads outta the bonnet,what about all the other trick motors,like airplane engines with all the cylinders around the crank.Electric's where it's at and where it's all heading.
The bacteria engines sound interesting,but how do you harness the power?

Last edited:

Ben Oz

Likes Dirt
Speaking of VW. From memory, the old Beatle's engine was horizontally placed, much like Subaru's EJ layout. Was there ever a connection?:confused:

Yes - Flat fours - the begining - Jowetts before the Second World War were best known for their flat twin engines, but they made a flat four for the Jason and 10hp models in the 1930s. Post war the Gerald Palmer designed Javelin saloon and Jupiter sports models used a totally different design of flat four. Alec Issigonis originally designed the Morris Minor for a flat four, but cost constraints meant it was never used.

Flat-4 engine in a 1955 Porsche 550 SpyderVolkswagen used air-cooled flat-4s extensively in their early days, in the VW Beetle and most early VW designs. Porsche also used the VW engine in the early Porsche 356. This engine was replaced by a Porsche designed flat-4 in the late 356s and the 912. The 914 that replaced the 912 was built in partnership with VW using a VW engine. VW used a water-cooled flat-4 in the third-generation Type 2 until 1991, and until 2005 in the Brazilian version, VW Kombi.

Citroën used an air-cooled flat-4 on the Ami Super, GS, GSA and Axel.

Alfa Romeo introduced a water cooled flat-4 on the Alfa Romeo Alfasud. That engine was later used on the Alfa Romeo Arna, the Alfa Romeo 33, the Alfa Romeo Sprint, the Alfa Romeo 145/146.

Lancia used a water cooled flat-4 on the Flavia and high-end Lancia Gamma.

Subaru produces water-cooled front mounted flat-4 engines marketed as H-4, by which they mean Horizontal rather than the H cross-section normally meant by H engine.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Thats one of those big ass tank motors isnt it. I think jay lenos got one in a custom built car. Its a 1800 ci 15L V12.
Rolls Royce Griffon aeroplane engine

2,300hp 36.75 litres. Used in late model Spitfires and the last generation of piston engined fighters, most of which never got beyond prototype stage despite being faster than early jets.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Rolls royce Vulture at 44 litres and X24 configuration is pretty cool but for nice sounding Ford engines, I have to disagree with DHD and say that a blown flathead on methanol sounds about as good as it gets.

Matt H

Eats Squid
And AMG's new 6.2 litre V8's are currently the most powerful naturally aspirated engines (according to a few Wheels and Motor mags, but don't ask me to quote!).
Bit of a car NOOB here but; What's the advantage of natural aspiration vs. turbo/supercharged? Lower temp? :confused:

Last edited:

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Hand wound International 15 arm in 0.480" dia housed in a Koford open class case with alpha class gp 27 cobalt magnets ,running on 14.5 vdc.:p

A slot head will know.

floody

Wheel size expert
Rolls royce Vulture at 44 litres and X24 configuration is pretty cool but for nice sounding Ford engines, I have to disagree with DHD and say that a blown flathead on methanol sounds about as good as it gets.
I peronally think flatheads sound whack, 6 exhaust ports and 8 cylinders just sounds odd, later V8s sound far better in general. A and B series BMC motors, and most everything with siamesed ports shares this unfortunate fate.

Last edited:

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Bit of a car NOOB here but; What's the advantage of natural aspiration vs. turbo/supercharged? Lower temp? :confused:
Naturally aspirated engines are induced induction ie the fuel air mix is sucked in by the engine whereas forced induction the mix is pressurised by the compressor ,either type ,and then blown into the engine .The direct result is more air/fuel mix under pressure = more power.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I've currently got a thing for the Toyota/Lexus 1UZ-FE, a 4L quad-cam V8 with a reputation for lasting forever & handling huge power increases on stock internals - the usual toyota story, really.

Except maybe 3 x Allison V12's (about 9000 hp on show here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk13Nu95Ytg

This one is interesting too:

It's a russian ship engine, 7 banks of 6 cylinders (42 total) each measuring a bore of 160mm & 170mm stroke, 168 valves, 143.5L capacity - it even has forced induction!

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have a bit of a thing for turbo V8s and the two that best represent the breed IMO are the motor from the Toyota GT1 (the best car not to win at Le Mans) which looks and sounds like an angry angry spaceship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6kKoNSrnI&mode=related&search=. The other is the Audi R8/Bentley Speed 8, this motor would have to be up there with the Porsche 956/962 flat 6 as the most succesful motor at Le Mans. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6184680728064832823

The BMW V12 in the LMR has to be the top of the list for naturally aspirated powerplants. It was a development of the McLaren F1 motor and is arguably still the best V12 to race or see production in a road car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoxq5mqBN38&mode=related&search=

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Naturally aspirated engines are induced induction ie the fuel air mix is sucked in by the engine whereas forced induction the mix is pressurised by the compressor ,either type ,and then blown into the engine .The direct result is more air/fuel mix under pressure = more power.
I knew that but what I don't understand is why all performance cars aren't turbo/supercharged?