Barry 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Barry The Burner Bike

Barry1
So i found this frame sitting on hard rubbish a few doors down from me. i drove past a couple of times over the next couple of days and decided i couldn't leave it there so i dropped a few $$ under the neighbors door and walked away with it. I've built it up with some bits and pieces i had lying around, rode it up and down the street a couple of times and then said to myself "now what?". It gathered a little dust and then it came to me, i wanna see how far the old beastie can go as a free bike for the burner community.

Barry2
Barry 1 was a bit of a fizzer, but i still liked the idea and when an old Norco popped up i thought i'd give the idea a shot with something a bit more exotic. Barry 2 is full of gnar, with a splash of cowabunga. he's an old norco fluid, with zocchi Z1 sports and a meticulously chosen colour scheme. the suspension lacks pretty much any kind of rebound control. Its been broken and repaired, the original owner (@Scotty T) wasn't convinced about the frame repair done on it, but i've thrown a kids bandaid on that so should be right as rain now.

Barry just wants to get out there and ride. he doesn't care if its a commute, a casual sunday play or a serious epic, he just wants to get around it all. Need something to get around on while the carbon frame is being warrantied? Baz has your back, no carbon here. Wanna try riding to work but cant see it happening on a 28kg downhill bike? Old buddy Barry has been dieting just for you. Don't wanna get your shiny unobtainium sworks yeti wet and/or muddy? Barry's the kinda dude that'll get down and dirty anytime anywhere.

only 2 hard and fast rules:

* If you break something, try to fix it before it gets passed on. if you don't have the means post up a wanted ad, I should be able to sort it

* Its gotta get passed on to another burner. Barry wants to travel so dont hold him too long.

We'd love to see some pics of his rides, maybe even a little story about the good times you've had, please at least drop a photo of one of his rides when you post u to pass him along. Also love to see him get covered in stickers, get creative, if you havn't got a sticker then maybe just sign him like a cast. If the frame breaks (eep!) please let me know, i'd like to hang it u on my wall and i'll happily sort out another one to keep it moving.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I was keen on taking Barry for a spin, until you mentioned the lack of any rebound damping - who do you think I am? @Chriso_29er? I haven't got those kind of skills! :oops::D
You'll look just like him on the bounce back, like the old trampoline double jump

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Love it. Is it oversized person friendly? Assuming @yuley95 can be the guinea pig for that?
Barry is mate's with everyone. I'm 190cm but only around 72kg so my in depth review of the nuance of Barry's abilities will be based on that. I can confirm that after a VERY brief bounce on the pedals on the footpath that there is little to no rear squish and the small amount of squish that's achieved comes back with interest.

Baz has excellent brakes but a distinct lack of tread in the centre of the front tyre meaning full commitment is required for every corner.

I look forward to taking Baz on a date soon and will share photos and a full report on the depth and breadth of his considerable abilities.

PS - great job of piecing him together @Plankosaurus He's a beauty

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was keen on taking Barry for a spin, until you mentioned the lack of any rebound damping - who do you think I am? @Chriso_29er? I haven't got those kind of skills! :oops::D
Given my duelly is still off the road having both suspensions sorted, I'd love to take Barry on his second outing.
He might even enjoy a tour of Silvan!

Excellent work @Plankosaurus
@yuley95 let me know when you're done with him :)

yuley95

Sweet! I’ll take him to some Yarra trails and maybe (just maybe) for a dirty weekend in Red Hill then will hand him over for more punishment.

yuley95

First and most important job done - added a couple of stickers! I think the spank one is particularly appropriate. I know not all will agree with the Crank Brothers sticker but hey - I applied it poorly and hid it behind the shock. You’re welcome. Will try and take this beautiful misunderstood son of a bitch for a ride this weekend... If I haven’t posted on this forum by Monday - raise the alarm. I’m likely lying in a heap sucking the fluid from gum leaves

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
First and most important job done - added a couple of stickers! I think the spank one is particularly appropriate. I know not all will agree with the Crank Brothers sticker but hey - I applied it poorly and hid it behind the shock. You’re welcome. Will try and take this beautiful misunderstood son of a bitch for a ride this weekend... If I haven’t posted on this forum by Monday - raise the alarm. I’m likely lying in a heap sucking the fluid from gum leaves
View attachment 372921
View attachment 372922
Crank bros sticker just undid any strength added with the kids bandaid!

...this is awesome

yuley95

Crank bros sticker just undid any strength added with the kids bandaid!

...this is awesome

I ride some stairs at the park opposite my house (true story) and it felt a little too stiff through the chassis. Particularly the seat tube.

I thought maybe the CB sticker would add some flex ;)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I ride some stairs at the park opposite my house (true story) and it felt a little too stiff through the chassis. Particularly the seat tube.

I thought maybe the CB sticker would add some flex ;)
I like your thinking carry on then!