Bargain buys thread

takai

Eats Squid
Grabbed some for the XC rig in 29, first 29er tyres i have ever bought (the ones on the CX thing dont count).

Meanwhile HR2s in Exo over here in Christchurch are $119 from the local bike shoppes.... wtf.

Also similarly wtf:

T7 store over here had some good clearance prices on snow gear though.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Out of interest, how long do tyres last on the shelf (or in my case in a plastic storage box)?
I replaced a set recently. Velociraptors had been sittin on my shelf for about 8-10 years. Work fine. No cracks or other damage.

I seem to recall buying 4 of them for $60. Was a super bargain.

stirk

Burner
Out of interest, how long do tyres last on the shelf (or in my case in a plastic storage box)?
The rubber will break down over time but if stored in a sealed bag in your box in a moderate temp they should be fine for up to 5 years and perhaps longer. They may not be as soft as when you bought them but they'll be usable and should not have cracked. Apparently they don't like ozone so keep away from electric motors.

There is nothing like fresh rubber though so personally I wouldn't bother stocking up for the long term just to save a buck now.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
The rubber will break down over time but if stored in a sealed bag in your box in a moderate temp they should be fine for up to 5 years and perhaps longer.
By sealed bag I'm guessing you mean some kind of fabric? Couldn't imagine keeping tyres in a sealed plastic bag would do much good, kind of like you shouldn't keep leather in plastic.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It is sunlight that will destroy rubber, so if they are kept in a cool place out of direct sunlight they should be fine for years.
Not to sure about that. Had some rubber in my wallet between the ages if 16 and 36, never saw the light if day. When it came time to use it, it was pretty much dust....

#knucklesisachunt

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Cheers guys. It would only be for a year or so stored under stairs in a plastic box - so should be sweet.

Last time I paid $70 for an ardent because the tyre blew out a few days out from doing the epic trail! Trying to not repeat that highway robbery incident.

scblack

Leucocholic
Not to sure about that. Had some rubber in my wallet between the ages if 16 and 36, never saw the light if day. When it came time to use it, it was pretty much dust....

#knucklesisachunt
Haha, my wallet had a "mysterious" circle embedded in it.....that never moved......

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers guys. It would only be for a year or so stored under stairs in a plastic box - so should be sweet.

Last time I paid $70 for an ardent because the tyre blew out a few days out from doing the epic trail! Trying to not repeat that highway robbery incident.
Must have been a schwalbe tyre.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
ABD Bmx frames

Ray's Bikes/Avanti Preston have New 2012 ABD BMX race frames for cheaps. Team Module 24" and Team Pro Module 20" for $130 inc BB and e13 cranks/ring. http://raysbikes.bikeit.com.au/s?sort-by=sale

Would have bought a 24 and done up as a cruiser but no room in the shed and too many projects on the go. If you can get past the unfashionable name and Avanti's bizarre attitude to customer service, they're a bargain.