Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thats because most migrants are as racist as most Australians.
extending this most countries i think are more racist than australians: the japanese were shocking, even in sth korea which had nice people -more polite than upper class japanese -abused a poor guy who looked like he had his feet frost bitten off, he was scraping himself down the train begging with a 1l milk carton cut in half - he copped huge mouthfuls from a number of well dressed natives. the indians seem to hold onto their class system, and give it to anyone below them -they carry it here by paying them nothing to work in 7eleven/united petrol stations - the IT guy i worked with who’s a native said that is how business is done in india, screw anyone below you, get screwed by those above

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll add, that at best, most Australians would describe themselves as ‘tolerant’ of multiculturalism at best. It’s far from accepting and welcoming.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I’ll add, that at best, most Australians would describe themselves as ‘tolerant’ of multiculturalism at best. It’s far from accepting and welcoming.
As long as the multiple cultures are from mostly English speaking countries pretty far north and south from the equator.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Given the lack of pearl clutching over the 100’s of Christian/catholic priests and teachers that have been found to do similar, I can’t help seeing this is such a huge story is because Jewish/Middle Eastern angle. Absolutely not diminishing its horror in any way, just think it’s viewed differently because latent racism.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/f...elbourne/ed325df8-835b-414d-94be-7781336428a3
I think it's more due to the level of interference from the Israeli government and judiciary that it's remained such a big story.

nathanm

Eats Squid
more than that surely? I'm assuming Moorey has travelled extensively and has not only witnessed first hand the racism in foreign countries but has also discussed this at lengths with the people of that country, or perhaps read wide and varying theoretical texts on the subject?

Whereas I myself have only been to NZ twice so have not been able to form a solid opinion on how racist Australians are in relation to other countries.

moorey

call me Mia
more than that surely? I'm assuming Moorey has travelled extensively and has not only witnessed first hand the racism in foreign countries but has also discussed this at lengths with the people of that country, or perhaps read wide and varying theoretical texts on the subject?

Whereas I myself have only been to NZ twice so have not been able to form a solid opinion on how racist Australians are in relation to other countries.
I’ve traveled pretty extensively, yes, but also international visitors I meet that are horrified by the racist attitudes they encounter here. This is all anecdote, which doesn’t make it a fact. It was only ever presented as an opinion.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think it depends a lot on your circle of friends and where and what you do. I have spent a fair amount of time in various Asian countries and a couple of stints in North America / Canada and Europe. My experience is that the Australians I consider friends and family are not as racist as natives of other countries in general attitude and others that I have observed in one off demonstrations of racism were not as vehement or malicious. But that is just my experience.

For example I haven't seen anyone at the cricket have a go at visiting teams and yet that happened at both the recent Sydney and Gabba test matches. I have seen blatant discrimination in the US against those of African and Hispanic descent. The company I was working with/for had a publicised wage policy which actively paid Hispanic people lower than good old white American boys and girls. I honestly thought it was some sort of sick joke that someone had posted in the lunchroom. In Japan I have been sneered at as a fat smelly gaijin and it was only my understanding of what had been said in Japanese that let me see the comments for what they were since there was no outward aggression or nastiness in the voices. I did enjoy responding to them in Japanese but that is another story. I had a Japanese boss who was happy to confide in me that he did not think that white people should mix blood lines with Japanese but it is ok for that to happen with other Asian races like the Koreans or Chinese and it was ok for him to fuck anyone he felt like. Etc. The worst slur I have heard here in the last year was when we were camping. I was cooking a Korean stirfry in camp and a group of two men and women in the adjacent camp made it clear to all around that people camping should only cook traditional Aussie camp meals like steak and sausages. They went so far as to describe it as slopey food (that will give you an idea of the age group). No one, me included, said anything. They were obviously trolling for a fight and no one gave them the pleasure.

Anyway I suspect or probably know that there groups in every country that hold such feelings and thoughts and express them when they think they can get away with it or to be something of a hero to their peers.

Pretty sad really that it still persists.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Tasmania.
I'd disagree. We have a large migrant population having taken in refugee's from numerous countries. I've been lucky enough to live next to, be friends and work with migrants from many different countries and have never received feedback that they have been treated in an overtly racist or discriminatory manner. A very good friend (and I mean he's very good) of mine who teaches at a public school with a large population of migrant and refuge children (almost 50/50) again has never talked about or discussed issues of racism even given the low socio-economic (sp?) demographic.
The issue we do have though is lack of support at government level, but thats a different story.
What we don't have though is a large indigenous population given the last "full-bloodied" (what a horrible term) aboriginal died her in 1876, which makes invasion day demonstrations somewhat ironic in Tasmania.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Nutbags ......

That's why they had to get us filthy, destructive climbers out of there. To let the wholesome folk enjoy and care for this ancient wonderland.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt