Assaulted on thursday night.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ryan, I know that Sawtell broke the rules but does a breach like that constitute a permanent ban? When will he be back?

He did have some good points though, even if his language was a bit eskew.

|Matt|

Banned
I know Sawtell broke the rules, but he did get approached and assaulted by a group of Lebanese people, I know if I was assaulted by a minority group I'd be feeling pretty angry towards them and might throw some stereotypical insults and cheap shots around like anyone would.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ryan, I know that Sawtell broke the rules but does a breach like that constitute a permanent ban? When will he be back?

He did have some good points though, even if his language was a bit eskew.
One week.

But right now he's pimpin' all over the woooooorldddd.

del

Likes Dirt
Look, rednightmare.

I get your points about not singling out one group and im 99% sure that 99% of people agree. Sawtell, ross, breaka etc etc, while maybe shooting their mouths off a bit, are voicing the opinion that while we can be politically correct and not racially stereotype, when can we draw the line? If, in your area, you and a lot of your mates are being continually assaulted by a certain race/social demographic/gang/family....ANY kind of a group, how long can you hold off on pointing the finger and starting to question it based on a racial frigidity? I'm not talking about hating all people of that category/race/etc, im saying about the SPECIFIC groups, and im sure that 99% of people are saying the same.

Can we really let political correctness cloud our better judgment? Note, i am not having a go at any group here, but you can't sit and speculate on your high horse while your mates are getting beat up. And thats the point I'm trying to make. I do not agree with singling out and discriminating against a single group. But that being said, for example, if i was a black gentleman in south africa during teh genocidal times, is it racist if i hate the white people THAT ARE killing my friends and family? Is that uncalled for? Obviously the example is not on teh same scale. But my point stands, i think anyway.

As for the "not a whole lot of consistency comment", you totally burned my arguments by picking out a minor inconsistency in my argument, oh snap. Grow up mate, everyone enjoys a joke, and really every joke has a slant, its what makes it funny - sexist, racist, political, blonde, image, etc etc. I don't think thats on teh same level as being prejudiced and hating a group for racial reasons, now is it.

Note, i dont agree with racial stereotyping for serious hate and derogatory levels. Sorry if this post doesnt make sense i should be studying for macroeconomics so im rushing

Awaiting all you political eagles to kill me :)

Ryan

Radministrator
See del, that's a pretty rational and well explained argument. That's what we want to see.

I agree that we shouldn't be afraid to state the facts of a situation because of political correctness. Like I said, where I come from most of the problems have been with youth gangs of Aboriginals, Pacific Islanders, Vietnamese and now, whites. Where 'Ross and sawtell live the problem is with gangs of Lebanese youths. (OMG RACIST!!)

The thing is; the problem isn't with people of whatever ethnic background, the problem is fuckwits in gangs who think rolling people for kicks/turf/whatever retarded reason they have for doing it, makes for a good night out.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Look, rednightmare.

I get your points about not singling out one group and im 99% sure that 99% of people agree. Sawtell, ross, breaka etc etc, while maybe shooting their mouths off a bit, are voicing the opinion that while we can be politically correct and not racially stereotype, when can we draw the line? If, in your area, you and a lot of your mates are being continually assaulted by a certain race/social demographic/gang/family....ANY kind of a group, how long can you hold off on pointing the finger and starting to question it based on a racial frigidity? I'm not talking about hating all people of that category/race/etc, im saying about the SPECIFIC groups, and im sure that 99% of people are saying the same.

Can we really let political correctness cloud our better judgment? Note, i am not having a go at any group here, but you can't sit and speculate on your high horse while your mates are getting beat up. And thats the point I'm trying to make. I do not agree with singling out and discriminating against a single group. But that being said, for example, if i was a black gentleman in south africa during teh genocidal times, is it racist if i hate the white people THAT ARE killing my friends and family? Is that uncalled for? Obviously the example is not on teh same scale. But my point stands, i think anyway.

As for the "not a whole lot of consistency comment", you totally burned my arguments by picking out a minor inconsistency in my argument, oh snap. Grow up mate, everyone enjoys a joke, and really every joke has a slant, its what makes it funny - sexist, racist, political, blonde, image, etc etc. I don't think thats on teh same level as being prejudiced and hating a group for racial reasons, now is it.

Note, i dont agree with racial stereotyping for serious hate and derogatory levels. Sorry if this post doesnt make sense i should be studying for macroeconomics so im rushing

Awaiting all you political eagles to kill me :)
Actually only one of my posts directly related to you. On the whole joke thing, there seems to be a lot of people who claim to be 'totally not racist at all' but then go and fuck it up by telling racist jokes. Hailing from a quite racist town in Queensland, I have heard all sorts of 'jokes' directed at Aborigines. What may seem like a harmless joke actually represents persistent, underlying racist sentiment. Now I am not about to say, "Let's ban all jokes". But I have a basic rule that I follow; if I think I can tell the joke to the party that it may offend without getting my head kicked in, then it's probably okay. e.g. Telling pommy jokes to English people is normally okay IMO. Aside from Pommy and Kiwi jokes, I haven't really heard any racist jokes that I would be comfortable telling. And if you ever want to get laid again, best avoid sexist jokes.

As for Sawtell, Ross and the others, I don't really have anything to say. The stupidity of their posts speaks volumes about the validity of their 'genuine, honest opinions' - whatever that means.

mtberdave

Likes Dirt
I use to work at an IGA in Perth belvidere st which is near the airport very bad area as mahoney007 would confirm.
And i had to quit because there is a turkish bread shop across the road and the boys that work there which are all Lebanese got involved in a fight between me and mates and them, and when asked why they started on us is because of the clothes we wear i mean how fucking pathetic is that just cos we dont wear baggy jeans that are way too big for us and don't wear g unit or hats that hardly stay on our heads
I 100 percent agree with sawtel if an Aussie bloke is gonna hit ya he is gonna have a legit reason and he isnt gonna use weapons like these guys had bats and broken bottles.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Actually only one of my posts directly related to you. On the whole joke thing, there seems to be a lot of people who claim to be 'totally not racist at all' but then go and fuck it up by telling racist jokes.
Heres where you fail, is Dave Chappelle racist because he tells jokes about white people? And then you go on to make yourself sound even stupider....'oh its ok to tell english jokes to english people' thats just your personal opinion.

Out in the real world, many a person can take a joke, including lebos, greeks italians, asians, africans whoever. It just so happens to depend on the individual. Just because you get all touchy around certain races and try to act like you are some kind of hero, doesn't make a difference.

As for Sawtell, Ross and the others, I don't really have anything to say. The stupidity of their posts speaks volumes about the validity of their 'genuine, honest opinions' - whatever that means.
And perhaps you should try reading....then trying to comprehend my posts, not just skimming through looking for words like 'lebo' then waiting for an alarm bell to go off so you can go OMGGG RACIST and get all high and mighty.

Not once have I said anything about a race as a whole, or condemned any particular race, I have made observations based on real life experiences, something which you seem to lack.

Now this may sound wrong (Im sure some idiot is waiting to press quote then label me with some other stupid shit) but Im all for racist jokes in good taste, not to humiliate or incite hatred or whatever......but that goes for all races! How can you say 'oh its alright to bag the poms and the kiwis...but don't bag the wogs or asians' etc...or 'don't make racial stereotypes...omg americans are dumb and fat' At least have some consistancy in what you stand for.

I know Sawtell broke the rules, but he did get approached and assaulted by a group of Lebanese people, I know if I was assaulted by a minority group I'd be feeling pretty angry towards them and might throw some stereotypical insults and cheap shots around like anyone would.
Feelings of distaste towards these groups (no, not the whole lebanese race, just particular groups of young males(who just SO HAPPEN to be lebanese) were around long before Sawtell got hit, various incidents/behaviour has been going on for a long time, this is one of the more serious ones.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Over here in the UK guess who the main perpatrators are? Low income white kids. Fucking heaps worse than just giving randoms a beating too, we're talking armed assaults, stabbings, murders etc. I'm not going to get on here and post about "Rah, fucking white cunts ruining England!" though am I? Because that would be retarded.
Ha! I thought it was all black on black knife crimes! At least thats what keep getting splash on the SUN here in London. On a tangent I seen plenty of blacks being stop and search during the Notting Hill Carnival and no whites being stop. It might not be PC for the MET cops to admit they are doing racial profiling but they ARE definitely doing it.

I 100 percent agree with sawtel if an Aussie bloke is gonna hit ya he is gonna have a legit reason and he isnt gonna use weapons like these guys had bats and broken bottles.
Bullshit. Legit reason like stealing your parking spot or looking at you funny or playing music you don't like? The only legit reason to hit anyone is self defence! (My opinion, don't like it you can fuck off.....)

Ryan

Radministrator
Ha! I thought it was all black on black knife crimes! At least thats what keep getting splash on the SUN here in London. On a tangent I seen plenty of blacks being stop and search during the Notting Hill Carnival and no whites being stop. It might not be PC for the MET cops to admit they are doing racial profiling but they ARE definitely doing it.
That's interesting, a few months ago a friend and I were "Section 44'd" at Waterloo station. This is a terrorist stop and search and the options we were given is that we could either do it then and there in the middle of the station, at rush hour on a Monday afternoon, or be arrested and taken in for a full search.

We chose the first option.

The cops then switched into super nice mode and proceeded to tell us that they didn't really think we were terrorists, but that they had chosen us specifically so that people didn't think they were targetting "certain groups".

Having had my whole backpacker backpack rifled through and my person searched, final conversation went;
"Do you have any drugs or illegal weapons on your person sir?"
"Well yeah, you didn't find my pocket knife, did you?"
"Um, could you please show us the knife sir?"
:rolleyes:
"Yep, here it is..."
"That's fine sir, have a nice day"

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Having had my whole backpacker backpack rifled through and my person searched, final conversation went;
"Do you have any drugs or illegal weapons on your person sir?"
"Well yeah, you didn't find my pocket knife, did you?"
"Um, could you please show us the knife sir?"
:rolleyes:
"Yep, here it is..."
"That's fine sir, have a nice day"
What kind of pocket knife is it? Is it like a Letterman? TBH banning knifes are quite useless IMO, chavs will have a go at each other with screw drivers, broken bottles and razor blades.

But back to the point on Nottinghill Carnival: They detained 300 or so individuals outside Oval tube (all blacks) and the people I seen getting search on that day are young black males. I am not saying its NOT justified but they are definitely stop and searching people of a particular race.

takai

Eats Squid
The thing is; the problem isn't with people of whatever ethnic background, the problem is fuckwits in gangs who think rolling people for kicks/turf/whatever retarded reason they have for doing it, makes for a good night out.
And the root cause of the problem stems back to the ethnic background, not their specific ethnicity, but rather that they are a minority out-group in a predominantly homogenised western (not necessarily white) in-group.

Being an out-group is enough to precipitate the formation of strong within-group bonds, without adding ethnicity (a further out-group modifier) and probably language to the mix.

For many its probably not that they dont WANT to integrate, but rather that they are being told both from the majority group that they are part of that minority out-group, and also told by the minority group that they must stay segregated for their "own safety" etc.

This type of in-group/out-group behaviour happens in any race and any culture, for example white Affrikaners in South Africa, Serbians/Bosnians, etc. Its not by any means uncommon, and is a means for the psyche to cope with being in an out-group.
However, the problem occurs when fear is integrated into the mix. If one group is fearful of the other, for whatever reason (and they can range from fear of losing jobs, to fear of physical harm) that fear not only manifests itself outwardly, but also assists to strengthen the in-group bond, and further cements the group acting as one.

If you think back to the groups who are more ethnically integrated such as Italians, Greeks, Germans, some Chinese etc, the one factor which has subsided significantly since their homogenisation (as Australians) is the fear. In the early days of settling Australia there wasnt the fear of other races taking things away from people (everyone was just as afraid of robbers, thieves and bandits), and as such despite the in-group/out-group identifications (which can be healthy mind you) most of those groups integrated to be *insert ethnic origin here*-Australians.

Anyway thats enough of my little dissertation on group dynamics.