Arent you over it

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Enter something fun ( and discussed w other half) about 4 months away, that gives you a reason to commute on wet, shitty days. The commuting gives you the legs to back up on the day and you only need a few proper rides to keep your eye in. Nobody can sustain driving to the Youies/Forrest/ wherever for long, and commuting is really time-efficient training. 3 times a week you're laughing!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I know that travel time would put ME off. I ride out my front door and back in the same way. I seriously couldn't be shagged if i had to travel an hour each way:hand:
I travel at least an hour each way twice a week to ride for 2 hours or so and it doesn't put me off at all if I'm riding quality trails. Moving to somewhere like Bright where the kind of riding I like to do is closer and more awesome would be great in many ways, but I would no longer have a job, or probably a partner...

MTB riding is a huge time commitment if you live in most big cities, so you really have to love it or else golf and armchair sports become infinitely more appealing.

JD - get a mate to confiscate all of your bikes for 6 months and at the end of that time ask yourself if you missed them.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
If you're looking at MTB as a chore, you're missing the whole point, and its no wonder you can't be arsed. Its about the ride, not about knocking it on the head getting on with your day.
Stick to the roadies, they definitely sound like your forte.
MTB is not a chore but when you work 50-60 hrs per week lots of life shit has to wait till weekends.
I'm in the same situation as JD being at least 1hr from the trails. Add the pre and post preparation and its a major blowout.
Not all of us have the luxury to blow off 6-8 hours playing on our bikes.

If I lived in the sticks then I'd get off road a lot more.

moorey

call me Mia
MTB is not a chore but when you work 50-60 hrs per week lots of life shit has to wait till weekends.
I'm in the same situation as JD being at least 1hr from the trails. Add the pre and post preparation and its a major blowout.
Not all of us have the luxury to blow off 6-8 hours playing on our bikes.

If I lived in the sticks then I'd get off road a lot more.
Then play the cards you are dealt. I miss out on other shit living in the sticks. Am I whining about it?

fridgie

Likes Dirt
I have been immersed totally in a few different sports over the years and yes, you do get tired of them.

Basketball 7days a week for ummm, close to 20yrs.

Tenpin bowling 6 days a week (14 different leagues) for about 7yrs

Aussie rules football.... Etc. Etc.

Taking a break is good and bad. You may miss it, you may not. Finding something to give that 'spark' back is awesome.

When totally disillusioned with basketball, the thing that got me back was coaching an under 8's team. I was amazed how much love they gave me back for the sport.

I'm pretty new to mtb, loving it and have no real commitments so finding time to ride is easy.

If you want to ride, find a way to make it work. Family picnic somewhere (if they are into that kinda thing) with a ride. Doesn't have to be full on, could just be a relaxing scenic ride.

If the missus rides, do a 'date-weekend' and go to different places once a month (or any schedule that suits) and ride there. On the odd occasion my missus actually has a Sunday morning off we ride to the local markets, have brekky, walk around. Heaps better than driving around.

I can see the time constraints you have, but if mtb is your only outlet you need to make some time for you. Easier said than done though ;)

You'll work it out mate, life is full of ebbs and flows. Finding what reduces the ebbs or ways to enjoy them (sometimes it's great just to step back for a bit, take a different perspective) is what helps the flows continue.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
basically working sucks and having family commitments sucks. Why can't we just be selfish and do what we want when we want? Because our time as ungrateful children has passed and it is our turn to travel and ferry them to every stinkin thing they do after school. Then in the process keeping the Mrs happy so when she is vacuuming the floors and stuff she is happy to have you out with your mates having a pedal..so in turn you stay home and help her and do what you need to do.

Wow did I just describe my life? Yep. And I am grateful for every moment I get on the bike. Regardless if it is for 15km or 55km. Don't care. Find the small things that make you happy and own them.

I am gutted as my little mate (son 12yrs old) has decided to give racing a break for a while. There goes any prospect chance of getting a few rides here and there. But hey..I am sure I will like horses.

Good luck JD and keep things in perspective mate.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
. The reality is I haven't been on a bike in a month (the desire is there) and when I do - it is a quick spin on tame trails that really don't warrant a flash 4 inch duellie or a blinged out carbon HT.
Have you ever thought about getting out of MTBing, consolidating so you have a bike for those few off road rides and getting a road bike or set of golf clubs or a mistress.

I will be ok folks- I am really hangover and travelling interstate and emotional and just need to be held.
I knew it wouldn't be long until menopause would lead you to another refresh of the stable !

:preggers:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Enter something fun ( and discussed w other half) about 4 months away, that gives you a reason to commute on wet, shitty days. The commuting gives you the legs to back up on the day and you only need a few proper rides to keep your eye in. Nobody can sustain driving to the Youies/Forrest/ wherever for long, and commuting is really time-efficient training. 3 times a week you're laughing!
now an XL CX bike would be ideal for that hey

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Then play the cards you are dealt. I miss out on other shit living in the sticks. Am I whining about it?
Moorey- I would love to move out to the bush- just have to find a job and convince the wife.

I think I just ride chunky stuff that warrants suspension so rarely these days that I question whether a FS bike is ideal. Nice to have but a bit of a luxury.

slowmick

38-39"
FS bike doesn't have to be appropriate for the trail - just fun.

I took my enduo around the bay in a day and on 2 great vic bike rides. You never know when the opportunity for stupidity will arise :madgrin:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
You really miss it once it's gone. Living in Jindabyne and working at Thredbo riding was all I did. The Mrs and I opened a restaurant in Jindy and in three years I rode maybe a dozen times. Now I'm in Japan where trails are scarce, hard to get to, and not really that challenging, but, you just do it and as Johnny said you feel great. The anticipation, the ride, then the beers after make it all worth the effort.

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey- I would love to move out to the bush- just have to find a job and convince the wife.
Quick Q, old bean. Why does your wife want to stay in the city? City life, schools, convenience, unwillingness to change, family?
If city has more Pro's than Cons for you both, then its a done deal, and you'll just have to find time/motivation to ride...or not. If your lives could accommodate a move out of the shitty, I say give it some serious thought. My 40 acre block is big enough for all of us :nod:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it doesn't work out for you mate, let me know
I've really enjoyed it , but if you want it back...
I'm not in love with it like the ARCc or ASRc, but I'm happy to give it time for the relationship to grow, and on the other hand I really got it for some sugarloaf gravel grinding for SA training and I've done that now...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I've really enjoyed it , but if you want it back...
I'm not in love with it like the ARCc or ASRc, but I'm happy to give it time for the relationship to grow, and on the other hand I really got it for some sugarloaf gravel grinding for SA training and I've done that now...
maybe we should talk Mr C

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
I am forcing myself to get out of bed before dawn every Sunday to get out for a ride and back home again so i still have the day with the family. Working long days during the week ruins any chance of a ride for me unless its at dark with lights. Even then i am cutting into desperately needed family time with the wife and 3 kids. We both work and study, add the three boys to that and shit gets hectic really quick. I am now finding that since i stopped doing martial arts 2 nights a week that my fitness is failing and i started enjoying the rides less. So now i try and least do some form of cardio twice a week so i can enjoy the sunday ride more. Walk, run, swim, even just go for a spin around the neighbourhood with the grommets is better than nothing. I realised something reading this thread though, you really do need to just make the time to enjoy it. Otherwise it becomes a chore and that suck the big fat hairy ones. Some of the mates a ride with are on time limkits for Sunday mornings and that just doesnt work for me. I enjoiy stopping mid trail for a chat and alaugh. Thats one of the best bits for me. So next weekend, i am leaving the time limits behind and taking as long as required to get my fix. I am also picking up my new steed this afternoon. Hoping that the new bike buzz will add a spring in my step and increase the motivation some more. 27.5 and almost 4kgs lighter than my current rig should help a little as well. Remember why you do it, because its FUN! The being healthy, and getting back to nature part is just a bonus. Take the time, enjoy the ride!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Sometimes I think to myself- why bother.

Anyone else feel like this at times.
i'll be 50 this year. when the injuries are mounting up, and the chronic pain (Fibromyalgia) is getting to me, yes. winter in Radelaide is nasty too, a bit of a chore on the commuter bike and early race mornings..... but then i go for a 40k social ride on the retro BMX with a bunch of larrakins, and it kindles my love of bikes all over again.

chin up, mate, have a break or try something different and you'll feel the luuurve again.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Seems like the word of the day is ennui*

You need to watch this. It will make you feel better.

You don't have to ride fast or be super fit to have fun mountain biking. I rode while pregnant where my speed was best described as a dead stop. Still had a blast - if you can imagine a rather slow blast...a gentle whoosh?

*(pronounced ohnn-wee)