Arent you over it

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Sometimes I think to myself- why bother.

You know, close to 50 years old, really time poor with work and kids, getting fat and lazy, have a stable of great bikes and lots of passion for e-riding. The reality is I haven't been on a bike in a month (the desire is there) and when I do - it is a quick spin on tame trails that really don't warrant a flash 4 inch duellie or a blinged out carbon HT.

Have you ever thought about getting out of MTBing, consolidating so you have a bike for those few off road rides and getting a road bike or set of golf clubs or a mistress.

To enjoy riding off road I fell that you need a certain level of fitness and "gametime" otherwise is becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.

I will be ok folks- I am really hangover and travelling interstate and emotional and just need to be held.

It is a question of accepting that things change and maybe I should look at another interest/ passion rather than only motivation.

Anyone else feel like this at times.

moorey

call me Mia
For me it's about who I ride with.
Firstly, good mates.
Secondly...and more so, my 8yo lad. He is a seriously kick arse rider and great company.

Those YT boys seem to be noose around your neck. The Buninyong option is always here for you, as it was 3 years ago for you :thumb:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Sometimes I think to myself- why bother.

You know, close to 50 years old, really time poor with work and kids, getting fat and lazy, have a stable of great bikes and lots of passion for e-riding. The reality is I haven't been on a bike in a month (the desire is there) and when I do - it is a quick spin on tame trails that really don't warrant a flash 4 inch duellie or a blinged out carbon HT.

Have you ever thought about getting out of MTBing, consolidating so you have a bike for those few off road rides and getting a road bike or set of golf clubs or a mistress.

To enjoy riding off road I fell that you need a certain level of fitness and "gametime" otherwise is becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.

I will be ok folks- I am really hangover and travelling interstate and emotional and just need to be held.

It is a question of accepting that things change and maybe I should look at another interest/ passion rather than only motivation.

Anyone else feel like this at times.

No.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm in my 40s and I have to work to keep my fitness up and be much more mindful of injury to the body and the bank account. That's where it feels like a chore.

However I have no kids, yet, I live very close to ridiculously good trails and I actually prefer to ride by myself. So whilst retaining fitness and dealing with an aging body, I still feel ridiculously good each time I get home from a ride, unless I've fallen off and broken something on the bike/body.

It's my me time and I don't want to get fat. It's still working for me. Sorry if this doesn't help inspire you but that's about all I can really offer.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Life is full of emotions big man, happiness is just one and heaps of people miss out on life pursuing it or professing on facebook to have it on tap. Work with the others, including the hungover resentful one that wants to shag a mistress silly in the pursuit of happiness masquerading and short term gratification. There's obviously reasons you don't already lean towards road bikes (the chore of mundane urban road riding?), or mistresses (I'm guessing)? Work with those.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden my mtb in many months. The pre and post ride faff is too much of a hurdle.
I'm almost exclusively on the road these days. I can get my fix with a 1 or 2 hour high intensity spin, then I have the whole day to get on with other important things.
MTB seems to consume my whole day and I can't afford the time.
Its odd cause until 12 months ago I'd never owned a road bike and never had any desire to.

moorey

call me Mia
I haven't ridden my mtb in many months. The pre and post ride faff is too much of a hurdle.
I'm almost exclusively on the road these days. I can get my fix with a 1 or 2 hour high intensity spin, then I have the whole day to get on with other important things.
Its odd cause until 12 months ago I'd never owned a road bike and never had any desire to.
If you're looking at MTB as a chore, you're missing the whole point, and its no wonder you can't be arsed. Its about the ride, not about knocking it on the head getting on with your day.
Stick to the roadies, they definitely sound like your forte.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I feel like I have just been held on line

thanks

Really struggling to find the time I NEED to ride my bike. I cant get excited about road bikes, high class hookers or golf

John U

MTB Precision
Commuting is my main riding now. I'm not as fit as I was, not that I was ever really fit. I ride alone 99% of the time. But it's still worthwhile and I still get a buzz when I occasionally nail that difficult bit of track or those doubles or link up a couple of turns really well.

Golf is for people who are too fragile to fall off a mountain bike or wipe out on a set of skis. I'll take it up when I become too fragile which may never happen. Fuck golf for now.

We should go for a ride one day JD.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
jumping on a road bike and riding out the door is very efficient. You surprise me Hugor- I always looked to you as a MTBer.

MTBing takes up most of the day- travel to the trails, ride, travel back. I can find a day maybe once a month if Im lucky.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Commuting is my main riding now. I'm not as fit as I was, not that I was ever really fit. I ride alone 99% of the time. But it's still worthwhile and I still get a buzz when I occasionally nail that difficult bit of track or those doubles or link up a couple of turns really well.

Golf is for people who are too fragile to fall off a mountain bike or wipe out on a set of skis. I'll take it up when I become too fragile which may never happen. Fuck golf for now.

We should go for a ride one day JD.

We have been saying that for years mate. Since right back in the Shannon days. I know I would like you if we ever met- you are a good e-egg.
I am now working in Altona and live in Heidelberg- commuting would be the go- to get me on a bikes with some sort of fitness but a shitty ride on a HT 29er. Maybe I should sell the duellie and get something for the commute and keep the HT for off road.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You guys need to move to the mountains.
I can understand someone being time poor and not having time to travel to go mtb riding living in the big smoke.
I'm only just getting back into it, motivation is not a problem, I'm like a 12 yr old who just found dads playboy collection, can't leave it alone.
It helps being able to hit some (albeit average) trails just a 3 minute ride from home or having a few single track options only 15 to 20 minutes drive. Most of my rides are only 2 to 3 hr excursions.
I've had many sports and hobbies over the years, I find if you really enjoy it but start getting de-motivated, sometimes a break away from it is a good thing. I roadraced motorcycles over a 15yr period but had many a year or two off in between, one day however I did decide to just quit, sold the lot and moved on.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I'm in my 40s and I have to work to keep my fitness up and be much more mindful of injury to the body and the bank account. That's where it feels like a chore.

However I have no kids, yet, I live very close to ridiculously good trails and I actually prefer to ride by myself. So whilst retaining fitness and dealing with an aging body, I still feel ridiculously good each time I get home from a ride, unless I've fallen off and broken something on the bike/body.

It's my me time and I don't want to get fat. It's still working for me. Sorry if this doesn't help inspire you but that's about all I can really offer.
This.

And nature. For me it is about being in the bush. Fitness and a bit of fun are just the icing on the cake.

John U

MTB Precision
East Ringo is not too far away. How about showing me some of the Yarra trails? I haven't really ridden them.

This.

And nature. For me it is about being in the bush. Fitness and a bit of fun are just the icing on the cake.
It's always cool to come across a bit of nature. I nearly ran over a wallaby on the way to work last week, and a little hopping mouse on the way home.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey big fella, you're posting in this thread so your talking to a whole bunch who are time poor. We all have the same constraints of kids/ work/ life. For mine it's near impossible to get a bunch of guys together for a ride, so ride alone almost always. It's great to have some time alone, on the bike, with the peace & quiet of the bush. I understand you a social being but it is quite possible to have a laugh pushing yourself in certain bits & sitting back for a relaxing roll in others.

I can honestly say after my recent move that you have a great network of trails on your doorstep & a climate which lends itself to jumping on the bike on a whim. I'm currently riding about 10kms each way on a rail trail to get to a 7km loop which is the best option I've found over here. Working in Altona, you're almost at the youies mate.

Sure we're all getting older & need to be mindfull of the implications of any injury, but I am still capable of pushing myself for fitness & fun & you ain't that much older than me.

I have a suggestion if it's motivation you are lacking, which you will no doubt have a crack at me about. Get your phone out & download an app called strava. This will not turn you into some race whippet wannabe or one of those clowns who yells at other riders on the trails. It will show you how far/ high/ fast or slow you went on this ride compared to the last. Don't think there's any need to ride against the leaderboard, ride against yourself.

If you have to pinch a few hours at a time to get on the bike without any planning, do it. You'll still have a laugh on your own & there will always be like minded geezers out there to say g'day to.

Take it easy, eh

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This.

It's always cool to come across a bit of nature. I nearly ran over a wallaby on the way to work last week, and a little hopping mouse on the way home.
HAve seen a few echidnas on rides since moving down here, coolest little creatures. Also saw a sugar glider, only time I've ever seen one in the flesh, flew past in front of me almost close enough to touch. The roos get a little annoying when they jump out in front of you and the water fouls seem to always want to run across to the other side of the path they are on when you approach. I ride through a few packs of ox on some fire trails every now and then too. I'm always quietly shitting myself on the inside that one of the bulls will take exception to my presence.

Ever since getting out of the army I crave being in the bush. Living in Beijing for four years was hell on that front.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Mate I have found its after time off you come back and realise that you cannot live without it - you can exist though
I'm 45 with 2 teenage(well 1 almost) boys wife work etc
Couple of years ago I took time off and raced slot cars! It was fun and different also took up a lot of time (and money) building and setting up those little toys.
After about 18 months I realised I was pretty grumpy most of the time Same time son #1 found he could now manage some more hill riding.
Last year we got back into MTB together and he's now whipping me very soundly.
MTB takes a lot to beat it getting out with some mates in a great location and weather
Big JD you are right though John U is a good bloke:wink-new:

moorey

call me Mia
HAve seen a few echidnas on rides since moving down here, coolest little creatures. Also saw a sugar glider, only time I've ever seen one in the flesh, flew past in front of me almost close enough to touch. The roos get a little annoying when they jump out in front of you and the water fouls seem to always want to run across to the other side of the path they are on when you approach. I ride through a few packs of ox on some fire trails every now and then too. I'm always quietly shitting myself on the inside that one of the bulls will take exception to my presence.

Ever since getting out of the army I crave being in the bush. Living in Beijing for four years was hell on that front.
I have to add, that I'm a spoiled fucker. I live on a 40 acre bush block, adjoining thousands of acres of bushland with well established trails. My block has a 2km loop around it, combining fast singletrack, switchbacks, jumps, climbs and technical bridge crossings. My son wants to ride most days after school if i'm home in time. He's more reliable than any of my soft cock mates (and a better rider to boot)
We have roos, wallabies, koalas, echidnas and abundant bird life. Its kicks arse.
Time for a tree change, Big JD:preggers:

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I've had to make a lot of compromises to make it work for me. Which really is finding the balance between work, family, and my 'me' time. Sometimes it all feels too hard, and I get jealous of the younger guys out there without the commitments and responsibilities who can ride whenever for however long they want.

Usually I have to get up silly hours of the morning to go out for a ride where i'd love to sleep in, but then if I sleep in and go for a ride, means later to work, later home, less time with kids, angry wife etc. So drag myself out of bed early and once i'm on the trails I love it and glad I did.

I also find lots of shorter rides work better vs the long ones i'd like to do.. Heading out for an hour or 2 before work, or on a Saturday morning goes down a lot better with the family than me taking a whole day excursion.

I find if I don't get out for a ride a few times a week, just get grumpy and piss everyone off. Plus get fat and unfit which isn't where I want to head..

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah I am thinking of a few Youies evenings from Altona. I reckon if I commute 3 days a week I will retain some fitness and belt size and do an early morning assault on the weekend I can keep me off road chops.

I have been thinking About a sea change Moorey. I simplification of life, job and get closer to nature/ the ocean. Surfing was my passion as a kid, great outlet for mind and body.

Might pick up a spare set of wheels for the HT for the commute.

Miss ya Sane- hope it is going well for you and family