Aquariums?

Stereochild

Likes Dirt
Anyone else keen on fish?

I keep a 5 ft planted aquarium with rainbows and corydoras catfish and DIY co2 injection to boost up those plants.

Worth a shot i figure.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am
My tank is in the notable purchases subforum.
3ft, still cycling, not very interesting at the moment though:eek:
By the way,nice aquascaping.

Last edited:

Uncle Toby

Likes Bikes
I want to build a tv fish tank. Do you guys know anything about building tanks? I want to get an old tv, take all the insides out and put in a tank built to the right size. Something like this:

Hopper

Likes Dirt
I want to start a fish tank, well actually two, one for tropical fish and one for a mantis shrimp. From what I've read most people see Mantis Shrimp as pests but I reckon they are amazing creatures, but I don't know how I'd go about setting up a tank for it. They have been known to break through 3/4inch glass and half inch bullet proof glass in research labs and you can't leave them in a tank with other fish or crabs, otherwise those other animals will start disappearing.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
wow that's quite an effort. i only have a 90L Aqua one tank. i keep marines in it. fire goby's, dory's etc.

nah im yanking your chain. i have the 90L Aqua one tank but i keep Gurami's, albino's, discus and rainbow trout (i think) in it.

by the way how do you post a picture without 'atatchment' under it and it come up in a new widnow

nevot

Likes Bikes
I want to start a fish tank, well actually two, one for tropical fish and one for a mantis shrimp. From what I've read most people see Mantis Shrimp as pests but I reckon they are amazing creatures, but I don't know how I'd go about setting up a tank for it. They have been known to break through 3/4inch glass and half inch bullet proof glass in research labs and you can't leave them in a tank with other fish or crabs, otherwise those other animals will start disappearing.

Holy f**kn what?

Christ, just went and had a look at some stuff about these 'little' buggers, and here is a couple of stats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp said:
Both types strike by rapidly unfolding and swinging their raptorial claws at the prey, and are capable of inflicting serious damage on victims significantly greater in size than themselves. In smashers, these two weapons are employed with blinding quickness, with an acceleration of 10,400 g and speeds of 23 m/s from a standing start. Because they strike so rapidly, they generate cavitation bubbles between the appendage and the striking surface. The collapse of these cavitation bubbles produce measurable forces on their prey in addition to the instantaneous forces of 1,500 N that are caused by the impact of the appendage against the striking surface, which means that the prey is hit twice by a single strike; first by the claw and then by the even bigger force from the collapsing cavitation bubbles that immediately follows. Even if the initial strike misses the prey, the resulting shock wave can be enough to kill or stun the prey.

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
yes Im a fishhead have been for about 18 years.
I just went back to fresh water after having marine for 3 years.
I have 4 ft tank with african chiclids
I will get a larger tank (tanks) when I get a larger place to live.

fish rule

Uncle Toby

Likes Bikes
.....by the way how do you post a picture without 'atatchment' under it and it come up in a new widnow
Just get the url of an image and put it in [img ] [/img ] without the spaces.

When I was writing that I accidently wrote earl first instead of url.

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah my stepdad has tons. All reef tanks. We have a 5f tank upstairs with about 8 fish in it and heaps of corals and downstairs we have a fish room which has a 2f and 3f tanks in it at the moment but we are getting like basins and stuff and breeding corals. Can post up pics of the stuff if anyones interested.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Facinating hobby. Not one that one often comes across....but now that I think about it, my uncle is really into it.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Facinating hobby. Not one that one often comes across....but now that I think about it, my uncle is really into it.
Yeah, you are either: really really into it, or: just bought a bowl and a goldfish

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah my stepdad has tons. All reef tanks. We have a 5f tank upstairs with about 8 fish in it and heaps of corals and downstairs we have a fish room which has a 2f and 3f tanks in it at the moment but we are getting like basins and stuff and breeding corals. Can post up pics of the stuff if anyones interested.
yeah definately love to see some photos. your family seems to have some rad pets!

Stereochild

Likes Dirt
go guys, show me your pics:)

I didnt really aquascape, just threw some stuff in, it grew nicely

Going to change from the poor mistake of coarse gravel to something like a laterite base with shell grit mixed through and then another 2inches of sand on top of that.

once i do that the plants should go nuts.

Marine is one thing i will try once i get my own place, need to have that stuff set up for too long to get it all right.

though, supposedly it is about par with keeping a fully planted tank happy.

still trying to keep everything in my tank happy and not have tonnes of algae!

DJ1wheel

Likes Dirt
Marine is a massive, massive pain in the arse, but really pay's off when you get it right....

However, without spending big $$$ on a water coolant your set up could be out the window on the very 1st 40 degree day in summer..

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Worked in a fish pet shop for about 6 months and went mental with my 3 foot. Buying new fish/rocks/gravel/cleaning tools/toys (anything you can get for a tank) every week for those 6 months. Spent a shitload, then got over it in a week when i quit work. Had Barramundi, Mollies, Guppies (which were promtly eaten by the Barramundi), and pretty much anything else new and exotic looking i could get my hands on.

It's fun. A lot of work, but still fun.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I have a goldfish thats two Inches long. Its been living in a small fish tank all its life.

Its Fourteen years old.

Can anyone beat that?:p
I think the world record is close to 30 years. Halfway there:)

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I have a tank, although it is not set up at the moment. It's only a small one, at about 30 litres, but I had some Comets in there and 1 Siamese Fighting Fish. I had a few others as well, Sucker Fish I think they were called. Anyway, the fish died and I haven't got around to setting it up again, as I want to go for tropical fish this time. I also need a heater, and a quieter pump and filter.

We also have a pond in the back yard which is relatively new. I dug it out at the start of the year, so it is still being established. It's about 4 metres long by 1 metre wide and about 70 cm deep in the deepest spot. We put in 4 normal goldfish and a few plants, I've only seen 2 fish recently. One has died, but there is another one that seems to have dissapeared, or a bird has got it, or the dog stepped on it when he goes for a swim.

Ponds and Aquariums are good fun, but a lot of work involved. More than your average pet. I'll definitely get back into it one day soon.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
I have a.... say.. 3 foot tank ...

quite the novice guy on this.. friend was breeding guppies... he gave me everything i needed and started off with just 6 ...

now i have over 60 guppies in this little tiny tank...

well theyre still all babies..

damn oversexed fish..

Anyone want any guppies.. Farkins discount.. ill give em to you for free.:D

Holy f**kn what?

Christ, just went and had a look at some stuff about these 'little' buggers, and here is a couple of stats.
if i remember a video i saw in biology a while ago correctly, these suckers will nail you in under 1/6000th of a second if you get close enough...

can't find anything via google to prove/disprove it though :(

it also mentioned about the sheer amount of force, considering that it's UNDERWATER, means about a bazillion times more resistance to movement(friction)

google tells me it hits with the force of a rifle bullet, although didn't say anything about calibur

http://notexactlyrocketscience.wordpress.com/2006/08/

Last edited:

arpit

Banned
A 600 litre tank would look great in my room, along one of the walls.

I was going to buy one with a filtration system and heaters and lights, but something occurred to me.

It occurred to me that there might be something more involved in keeping fish than just shoving the fish in, turning on the tank, and pouring a bag of food in every month.

When my father was signing the paperwork to get his car, he took me to the Mercedes dealership on the North Shore. There there was an amazing round fishtank. I loved it. It was immense. It had all sorts of beautiful fish and vegitation. The salesman mentioned to me that they employed someone to come around every couple of days and do stuff to the fish.

Suffice to say that keeping fish sounds like somewhat of a commitment.

Last edited: