Appin 8 Hour

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At what stage, or how much rain needs to fall for the race to be cancelled?
I would and want to race no matter what but with hundreds of riders racing on a wet, muddy track for 8 hours it would take the track a long time to recover i'd imagine.

I suppose all we can do is hope it stops raining soon!

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
That spoils all the fun... and you'll have to avoid the 4wds!
there has been a fence built over most access points to the appin forrest so there shouldnt be any 4wd but you never know. it may spoil the fun but it should prevent many more injuries from occuring.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
there has been a fence built over most access points to the appin forrest so there shouldnt be any 4wd but you never know. it may spoil the fun but it should prevent many more injuries from occuring.
Seriously the sections we're talking about are great mtb sections and are quite rideable. If not then take a B line. Every time I've been to Appin lately there have been heaps of 4wds going down the firetrails into the gnarly river crossing. A few people marshalling the drop off the rock and maybe watching out for 4wds as cyclists cross the fireroad would be good. :)

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm not going to this one.
Fair amount of rain happening here at Appin.
It dries up very quickly when it does stop raining.
Punished my bike enough at club rounds there in the rain this year, time to be nice to it for a change.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone live down campbelltown way that can give a weather report from today? it's been pissing down all day in Sydney town so hopefully you haven't been copping it as bad!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
We copped some really heavy rain yesterday and with more forecast today and over the weekend there is no doubting the track will be wet.

I rode 2 of the club rounds this year in the rain and the track holds up really well in the wet. Being sandstone based it doesnt get overly muddy, but the sand that gets washed onto the track is really coarse and eats bike bits.

Keep an eye on the bom site and if you decide to race, take something to wash your bike with in between laps... or just take it down to the first river crossing and dunk.

Either way, the lure of a warm dry couch and memories of the last 2 wet races here is enough to keep me out of this one.

Good luck

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am next door to the track, rained hard here yesterday and last night. Some blue sky out there now (Friday).

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I dont know if I should save my fuel for sunny Melbourne and the 6hr champs 2 weeks later....

I was all keen

fezi

Likes Dirt
I've pulled the plug. My sister live 20 mins from the track and she needs floaties to get in there back yard.... or so she tells me. Maybe she doesn't want me staying at her place saturday night....

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
looks like it could be a wet race..........
Requisite things for mud...

Lack of gears? Check.

Mud Tyres? Hope WTB Prowlers do the job.... check.

Positive attitude and reckless grin? In progress...

That sticky orange Weldtite lube? Check.

Better than exams :D

Optimus

Likes Bikes
Haven't received the normal pre-race email from BOE / Stu confirming timings and the like. Just want to make sure that everyone is in the same boat as me or whether it's because there's something up with my online entry...

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Haven't received the normal pre-race email from BOE / Stu confirming timings and the like. Just want to make sure that everyone is in the same boat as me or whether it's because there's something up with my online entry...
Not received anything either. So far as I know its still game on.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
your makin the big assumption they would actually be organised.... :eek:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will it still be on

Will the reace go ahead if the weather keeps up like this?

It hasnt stopped raining all morning here in manly.

www.bom.gov.au looks like Campbelltown is dry though.
but there is a huge fromt coming down from newcastle way.