Appin 8 Hour

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
who's going up to the appin 8 hour?
its on next weekend for the people who dont know(20th-21st june)
should be a good weekend and hopefully there will be a good turn out, and if the rain keeps off the track should be sweet.

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
I'm in, hardtail or dually? I have heard it is a pretty rough track?
yea, its a pretty narly track.
i race it on a hardtail but most preffer a dually to give that little more traction and to help aid the downhill after many tiring laps.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in, hardtail or dually? I have heard it is a pretty rough track?
Has to be duallie there not many places to open the throttle at Appin and your body will be thanking you for it at the end of the day. I compare Appin to the tech bits of Manly dam if you have ever ridden there

Optimus

Likes Bikes
last year I heard someone refer to it as the 'endo' track due to the number of people they saw going over the bars.

my question is what the (three!) water crossings will be like if the forecasted "showers" drop more than a few mm in the area?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
last year I heard someone refer to it as the 'endo' track due to the number of people they saw going over the bars.
Including me... it was that point I decided I might call it a day from the last 8hr there.

Fun track to ride that's for sure!

Cheers
Gonz - who won't be there

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

my question is what the (three!) water crossings will be like if the forecasted "showers" drop more than a few mm in the area?
I was out there on Saturday for a spin. Track is great and the extensions make for some really fast single track in sections. Didn't see any endos but it can be done on a number of sections if you try hard enough.:D

First crossing of the Georges River is OK, just pick the right line and you will be fine. Second crossing (I am assuming you mean the side creek before recrossing the Georges River below Kings Fall Bridge) is a big puddle but I just rolled around on the right hand side and hardly got my tyres wet. Third crossing doesn't go under the bridge any more, the track goes to the right and crosses at the falls about 50mtrs from the bridge. Take the line nearest to the waterfall (which is on your right hand side) and look for a submerged rock to roll over.

From my experience the water levels in the river can rise and fall sharply. If all else fails you can get off and walk across.:) I'd be more concerned about trying to maintain grip on the wet rocks and tree roots.

Cheers,
CBG.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Yeah going to be interesting. Weather will definately play a roll.

Supposed to be raining all week in the gong. Currently Saturday is "rain" and Sunday "possible shower" from what ive seen.

And yeah, to those who have the option, go a dually. I'll be on my usual enduro weapon, the scale ;)

Last edited:

Optimus

Likes Bikes
First crossing of the Georges River is OK, just pick the right line and you will be fine. Second crossing (I am assuming you mean the side creek before recrossing the Georges River below Kings Fall Bridge) is a big puddle but I just rolled around on the right hand side and hardly got my tyres wet. Third crossing doesn't go under the bridge any more, the track goes to the right and crosses at the falls about 50mtrs from the bridge. Take the line nearest to the waterfall (which is on your right hand side) and look for a submerged rock to roll over.
The only time I rode the track was during last year's 8 hour so the three crossings I'm refering to are:
1. crossing after first section of singletrack, same as the one you refered to above - agree that pick the right line and the water shouldn't go over your hubs.
2. is the one I believe refered to as the 3rd crossing above, at the bottom of a fairly long and fast downhill firetrail, where yes the right line was the way to go if you could make the short and steep exit
3. from memory was the deepest, and next to a road before climbing up to the top of the final descent of the lap

will be putting a wet lube on regardless me thinks

dirty88

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Will be camping on saturday night and noticed that BOE website says there is a total fire ban in the area. Is this correct? Is it possible to use a gas cooker?

Anyway im really looking forward to the race. A bit worried about these techy parts that everyone has talked about

chriz02

Likes Bikes
If it rains and rains hard then it might be like the last Wollongong race at Appin. The first river crossing was knee deep, so even if you carry the bike you get soggy socks.

It's also a bit of fun to see the number of underwater lines there appears to be in knee deep water. Regardless its a great track up and down and some perfect single track to make it all worth it.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Rode the track for the interclub about 3-4 weeks ago. It had been raining cats and dogs a few days before and morning of race. The first river crossing was fine if you take the correct lines. There are no issues with the rest of the track ... except... the wet sand gets into every moving part and if wet make sure you have plenty of lube in your chain. My chain and derailleur froze after 3 laps and there were some who were dunking their bike in the river near the road bridge trying to get the sand out of gears and chain etc. Most people I know had no brakes left with that amount of silica being ground into pads etc. All said is a very fun tack.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only time I rode the track was during last year's 8 hour so the three crossings I'm refering to are:
1. crossing after first section of singletrack, same as the one you refered to above - agree that pick the right line and the water shouldn't go over your hubs.
2. is the one I believe refered to as the 3rd crossing above, at the bottom of a fairly long and fast downhill firetrail, where yes the right line was the way to go if you could make the short and steep exit
3. from memory was the deepest, and next to a road before climbing up to the top of the final descent of the lap

will be putting a wet lube on regardless me thinks
By the sounds of it our 1 and 3 line up. Crossing 3 has been moved downstream and is not the deep crossing next to Kings Falls Bridge. We seem to be on different pages with regard to crossing 2. If you haven't been there for a while the track has had a number of changes so this may be the source of confusion.

As mittagongmtb said the sand gets into everything and I have dunked my bike to get the mud and sand of it on a wet and muddy ride we did out there.

Enjoy the ride.:D

Cheers,
CBG.

64ponty

Likes Bikes
I ran the SS at the last WMBC interclub and everything went fine apart from the brakes. I find going just that touch slower can save a lot of brake pad wear.

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
there looks like some confusion on how many river crossings there are, well that may be because in the club races and where the actual track runs there is only two crossings but on the 8 hour track there is three. this is because for the 8 hr the downhill section towards the wooden brige has been taken out and been replaced by a fast but still a little techy fire road down to a river crossing about 100m up from where the wooden brige crossing is. this has been done to avoid traffic jms and 'endo's'

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Will be camping on saturday night and noticed that BOE website says there is a total fire ban in the area. Is this correct? Is it possible to use a gas cooker?

Anyway im really looking forward to the race. A bit worried about these techy parts that everyone has talked about
yes there is a total fire ban in the area but, a gas cooker should be fine as long as you dont go lighting the bush on fire i think. it is a technical track but we have had novoice riders here in the past and they loved it. at the inter club a few weeks ago there was a realy small fella on a 24inch (wheel size) may had even been a 20inch rigid and he made it round the track in the soaking wet so you should be fine.

Moar

Banned
Last years (I think!) 8 hour there was a heap of fun!

Ran SS 2:1 on a hardtail (duh) and it was a punisher, I'll tell ya that much! :D

Please be warned, stretch properly first, eat well also as this track causes a LOT of muscle cramps even in myself (only enduro I've ever properly experienced them.. sucks). And be prepared to not be able to hold onto the bars by the end. :)

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
there looks like some confusion on how many river crossings there are, well that may be because in the club races and where the actual track runs there is only two crossings but on the 8 hour track there is three. this is because for the 8 hr the downhill section towards the wooden brige has been taken out and been replaced by a fast but still a little techy fire road down to a river crossing about 100m up from where the wooden brige crossing is. this has been done to avoid traffic jms and 'endo's'
That spoils all the fun... and you'll have to avoid the 4wds!