Anyone a Paramedic or an Ambo....or work for QAS

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Anyone recived any news yet ? I think interviews are wrapping up next FRI ? I was told by the board / 3 interviewers that there were 100 interviews to be conducted for 55 positions but Im not sure if that was for the whole of QLD or just my area (Townsville) can anyone clarify ?

All the best to you all and I hope the people I have provided info to found it usefull !

I am keen to help anyone who is yet to complete the recruitment process and would like info so dont be scared to drop me a line.
Thanks heaps Christian for ur msg and info.... it's all really helpful!

Should I just dress as though I'm going for any formal interview?

Vern

Cannon Fodder
Fitness Test

Kymbo, I did my fitness test a couple of weeks ago. Each test you do is given a mark out of 4 (4 being the best) which is then multiplied by a weighted number for each test. If i can remember correctly the cardio one had the greatest multiplier. The chap who tested me said 2 for each one is roughly a pass.

It is a relatively easy test. I was a bit nervous to start with which doesnt help with the purdue peg board test as I did a bit of fumbling. Just be relaxed and confident in yourself and you will be ok. There is nothing in the test to be really worried about.

Good Luck.:)

hanslo123

Cannon Fodder
Testing and Intake

Hi Guys & Gals,

Just thought I would shed some light on your concerns and questions. The max class size is 50. They just can't accommodate any more than that at Whyte Island. Don't worry about studying or buying books before you get an offer. Don't waste your money on books until you have spoken to the educators on course. Everything you need to study will be provided. The fitness test is impossible to fail, it is designed so that the facilitator can get an idea of your general well being and fitness levels. Anyone on the morbidly obese side will not pass regardless of their actual scores. Finally, if you get an offer, take it! It may not be in your immediate area so be prepared to drive. The risks of not taking the offer are huge. On average there are 2500 applications per intake for 50 spots, so if you don't take the offer they will just move to the next person on the list and the odds of ever getting a return call are not good. Once you are in it is possible to transfer stations at a later date. Finally, relax and enjoy the ride. It takes a while and it can be frustrating but it's all worth it in the end.

Take care and good luck.

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Wow r u serious, approx 2500 per intake? Is this including people who may have had an interview a while ago but r still waiting for an offer?

QASSP Applicant

Cannon Fodder
The wait is on and my fingers crossed

I completed the last step in the QAS Student Paramedic application process yesterday - the dreaded interview. Overall, it was a positive experience, though after picking to pieces my interview performance yesterday afternoon (followed by a restless night, tossing and turning) I am aware that I need more interview experience if I am ever to be able to “nail” an interview. I have been focused on entry into QAS for almost 12 months, and I am only too aware how entry into the program would shape and direct my working life over the next 10 -20 years. In many ways QAS is the end goal after spending the last number of years of my life on stepping-stones, I feel I have lot riding on this and I am now hoping the pressure of it all, and my nerves, did not blow my chances yesterday -- I could not help but look over my interview notes and preparation material on the train ride home and I felt silly that having been so prepared I had left so much significant information out when responding to the panels’ questions. I just hope I did well enough and I am still in with a chance.

trueblueozzie

Cannon Fodder
In the Lap of the Gods

I completed the last step in the QAS Student Paramedic application process yesterday - the dreaded interview. Overall, it was a positive experience, though after picking to pieces my interview performance yesterday afternoon (followed by a restless night, tossing and turning)
Well I think all that have been interviewed feel the same way. Take consulation that you made it this far and hopefully everyone's wait will be over in the next week probably two.

So where did you place your preferences if you got in? This forum has been a great ice breaker and hopefully all will post there success or demise once we all learn of it.

Until then hopefully the wait gets easier but I don't think it will.

QASSP Applicant

Cannon Fodder
THANKS TRUEBLUEOZZIE -- for the moment that's what I need to hear....

Prefs listed below....

1 Brisbane
2 Sunshine coast
3 Ipswich

I'm not sure how I'd manage the logistics if they offer me 2 or 3 though........

Mark 24

Cannon Fodder
Just the Start

Good luck to every one who had there interview in the last couple of weeks. Im just staring out in the application prosses hope to try and get through it as quick as possiable have got my apitude and phyometric tests next wednesday. Is anyone else here applying for the Gold coast??:D:):D

koby

Cannon Fodder
I have but...

Good luck to every one who had there interview in the last couple of weeks. Im just staring out in the application prosses hope to try and get through it as quick as possiable have got my apitude and phyometric tests next wednesday. Is anyone else here applying for the Gold coast??:D:):D
I have been told ((2nd hand) by interviewers interviewing my friend for medical despatch) that it is almost impossible to get into the Gold Coast so I'm hoping that if I get accepted I may get Beenleigh...not too far to drive. Of course things change all the time but I know that there is a long list of people waiting to be transfered it's just good to keep that in the back of your mind. As someone said earlier - if you get accepteted TAKE IT! I'm off for my interview today..so nervous - good luck everyone!:cool:

Mark 24

Cannon Fodder
I have been told ((2nd hand) by interviewers interviewing my friend for medical despatch) that it is almost impossible to get into the Gold Coast so I'm hoping that if I get accepted I may get Beenleigh...not too far to drive. Of course things change all the time but I know that there is a long list of people waiting to be transfered it's just good to keep that in the back of your mind. As someone said earlier - if you get accepteted TAKE IT! I'm off for my interview today..so nervous - good luck everyone!:cool:
Oh really thought it would be a popular area iv put beenleigh down as my second preferance too then ipswich. Is there much of a wait getting through the medical and phyisical and getting an interview. Good luck with your interview keep us posted interested to see where you get placed if you get accepteted. Good Luck:cool::D:cool:

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
I completed the last step in the QAS Student Paramedic application process yesterday - the dreaded interview. Overall, it was a positive experience, though after picking to pieces my interview performance yesterday afternoon (followed by a restless night, tossing and turning) I am aware that I need more interview experience if I am ever to be able to “nail” an interview. I have been focused on entry into QAS for almost 12 months, and I am only too aware how entry into the program would shape and direct my working life over the next 10 -20 years. In many ways QAS is the end goal after spending the last number of years of my life on stepping-stones, I feel I have lot riding on this and I am now hoping the pressure of it all, and my nerves, did not blow my chances yesterday -- I could not help but look over my interview notes and preparation material on the train ride home and I felt silly
that having been so prepared I had left so much significant information out when responding to the panels’ questions. I just hope I did well enough and I am still in with a chance.
Hope you did really well and fingers crossed for you!

I have my fitness assessment on Tuesday and i hope all goes ok! I'm really keen to find out as much about the interview as I can, although it will be a while off. Any tips or info on the questions they ask would be awsome! Are the questions very similar to those they send you as example ones before the interview?

Cheers:eek:

Sunnygirl

Cannon Fodder
All the Best!

Hi All

I have been reading this site for a few months now but have been sitting back I to have been going through the motions of the Student Paramedic Application. I to was last week interviewed for the current intake coming up at the end of April 2010.

My preferences were Brissy, Goldy then Ipswhich. I currently work for Dpt Community Safety, the QAS is a fantastic career path in either career you may choose to undertake. It is not very often you can say you go to work with no clear idea of what your day may bring. It is rewarding to hear a new born baby cry that you have assisted to be delivered on the side of a road way, or very trying when you are dealing with that depressed person that feels life cannot go on, or very touching having to stay on the line when a loved one realises that their life long friend has passed during the night.

The interview process is very daunting but we all get asked the same group of questions which we can relate to our every day lives, the recruitment team gives you very sound advice in all the material they forward to you.

Student Paramedic is a very sort after field and currently the Sunshine Coast has no vacancies and has been closed off as you can see by the application pack, Goldy I believe is at extreme with even qualified paramedics unable to gain positions on transfer.

I wish everyone that has been interviewed and those going through every success and hopefully the veil of uncertainity will soon be lifted. For those of us that are not going to be successfull in this intact don't be disheartened rise about learn from the experience and try again, for those that make the course, take the opportunity enjoy learn and share.

Wishing everyone all the best and I will most definately keep you posted.

Cheers

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Oh really thought it would be a popular area iv put beenleigh down as my second preferance too then ipswich. Is there much of a wait getting through the medical and phyisical and getting an interview. Good luck with your interview keep us posted interested to see where you get placed if you get accepteted. Good Luck:cool::D:cool:
Hi mark,

I did my aptitude test about 3-4 weeks ago and it only look 2 weeks to hear back that I passed and given info in fitness test. U can pretty much book ur fitness n medical in straight away. I have mine on tues, then the wait to see if I have an interview. I don't think thenext lot of interview are until april/may for a June/July intake, so u have plenty of time!

Good luck on wednesday! :eek:

Mark 24

Cannon Fodder
Hi mark,

I did my aptitude test about 3-4 weeks ago and it only look 2 weeks to hear back that I passed and given info in fitness test. U can pretty much book ur fitness n medical in straight away. I have mine on tues, then the wait to see if I have an interview. I don't think thenext lot of interview are until april/may for a June/July intake, so u have plenty of time!

Good luck on wednesday! :eek:
Thanks kymbo83 year i would like to get through it as fast as i can keep the waiting to a minimum my goal is to try and get into the next round of interviews april/may that would be awsome.
Good luck with your fitness test.:D:cool::D

tuner09

Cannon Fodder
Hi Mark

I am also doing my aptitude tests on Wednesday in Brisbane. I am applying for either the Mackay or Brisbane areas. I am keen to keep the process going quickly and smoothly. Its great to hear the next intake is June/July, I thought I would be looking at an August intake. All the best.

Smitty87

Cannon Fodder
My friend has just heard that she got in to be a medical despatcher !!! I'm so excited for her - we didn't even know that we both were applying to the QAS - such a coincidence...fingers crossed everyone!:)
That's great, Im currently in the process of EMD recrutiment, where/when did you friend get an offer.., was it in Brisbane?

koby

Cannon Fodder
Southport Gold Coast

That's great, Im currently in the process of EMD recrutiment, where/when did you friend get an offer.., was it in Brisbane?
She had her interview 2 weeks ago in Southport and got her phone call about a week later...she has no idea when she is starting they haven't let her know yet but are sending her her contract etc.