Anyone a Paramedic or an Ambo....or work for QAS

tigra

Cannon Fodder
Hi everyone
Does anyone else feel disappointed that the degree can only be obtained with the uni route?

I am aware that as far as the job is concerned they are identical in terms of the ability to practice. It's a shame that the status will be lost as one only has a diploma instead.

How will this affect any post graduate studies?
How does it look on the resume?
etc

Are there any major differences? Why can't there just be a degree?
In the UK, the Nursing Diploma has been scrapped in favour of a degree only entry.

Thanks for reading and thanks to all the people who give up their time to write in... it's much appreciated.
QAS pays everything (including all training at their expense while paying a student wage) = Diploma

You pay HECS = Degree

Making it a degree only would hugely limit QAS staff imput and they need new staff constantly to balance the attrition rate. But, management have been saying for years (close to ten that i know of) that they will eventually go degree only entry (through a uni course like the QUT one). Some ACP's are currently doing the step up to a degree at their own expense (i think QAS has a small imput) but i has no impact on acp skills or interventions or pay rates. (it is however beneficial if you want to apply for ICP training down the road). If i could go back and had the choice, i would do the degree simply because it gives greater options for the day when you may want to move on from QAS.

Years ago, people became paramedics with the goal of retiring in the job. Its seems to be quite rare to see this happen anymore though.

pete_000

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for replying. Of course I understand and agree with your points.
Do you know what it would take to 'upgrade' to the degree or could that be found out?
I am interested in post-doctorial study. Unfortunately, life is such that I need the wage to support the family otherwise I would have taken the course at my own expense.

wombles

Cannon Fodder
Hi I have managed to find this forum through a google search. It seems to be some of the only unofficial info on QAS available. I am a qualified ambo and I have an interview in the next week. I am finding it hard to source info on the types of clinical and non-clinical questions they will ask and what depth of knowledge they require. Any ideas about the full day of clinical testing - so far I can't even source a format. Any help is gratly appreciated.

trueblueozzie

Cannon Fodder
Hi I have managed to find this forum through a google search. It seems to be some of the only unofficial info on QAS available. I am a qualified ambo and I have an interview in the next week. I am finding it hard to source info on the types of clinical and non-clinical questions they will ask and what depth of knowledge they require. Any ideas about the full day of clinical testing - so far I can't even source a format. Any help is gratly appreciated.
Hi Wombles

I am taking it you are qualified in another state/country. If you are applying under the Student program you will be asked the same questions that they would ask another student applicant so therefore will not be a lot of clinical based questions as this is part of the learning of the student program, although your response to the general selection questions you could relate well to your previous work history. You are required to answer questions in the STAR format which is explained in depth in the information sent from QAS.

Hope this helps!

koby

Cannon Fodder
?? I am missing something??

forget what I said....have found what I was looking for.

PS Good luck everyone with the interviews!!!!

Last edited:

jaxmvr

Cannon Fodder
Hi there

Has anyone received emails this week for an invitation to an interview and if so, when is your interview? As the majority of the latest inteviews were scheduled for the third week in Feb, does any one know if there are any interviews later than that for the April intake? My husband has received an email last week to say that they will let him know soon, but he has not heard anything yet and will probably follow up next week.

Enjoy your weekend!

trueblueozzie

Cannon Fodder
Interview Schedule

Hi in reply to the last post with friends having there interviews this week in the Townsville and North Queensland Area and ours next week in Brisbane I am also aware that they are interview the last week of February as well as another applicant I know commented he received the last interview time being the 24/02/10.

QAS seem to conduct interviews quarterly so maybe he will get an invitation in the next round of interviews looking at past history might be around May.

What area did you partner apply for sometimes this has a bearing on course availability as well.

Wish you guys the best of luck and will keep you posted on the process.

Last edited:

christian.mclean2

Cannon Fodder
Student Paramedic interviews

Hi all,
Thought Id share some info for anyone being interviewed in Townsville. QAS informed me that they are interviewing for 50-55 positions for the Townsville region. They have around 100 aplicants to interview for these positions. If you are excepted and your locality choice was near Mt Isa then you should be offered a position straight away as Mt Isa is a large center and they regually take studients. This was told to me by the Board during my interview.

For anyone yet to be interviewed dont expect too much feed back as they dont realy give much away. It will be another 3 weeks before you know the outcome of your interview as well. All the best to you all I hope to see you in Brisbane on the basic course April 26th.

Vern

Cannon Fodder
Interviews

Great information on this forum. Thanks everyone for sharing their info and experiences. Big thanks to Tigra, awesome info!!!

I received an email last week saying I have moved on to the interview stage. I was hoping to get an interview soon but by the sounds of things it may be down the track a bit!

Good luck to those who have their interview in the next couple of weeks.

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Fitness test!!!!!

Hi all,

I have my fitness test in 2 weeks and was hoping someone would be able to tell me wat the pass mark is for some of the components? Also any good tips for the day would be really helpful! I see some people have said it's really easy to pass, does someone who has recently done it have the same opinion?

Good luck to those who have upcoming interviews!

koby

Cannon Fodder
good luck on the phone call!

Completed my interview yesterday. Now the waiting game for the results!
Wow - how did you go ?- I'm one week from now....busy trying to go through...star...the role etc...my reasons for doing it etc etc etc - I hope you did well! Good luck

:)

Kateo

Cannon Fodder
Wow - how did you go ?- I'm one week from now....busy trying to go through...star...the role etc...my reasons for doing it etc etc etc - I hope you did well! Good luck

:)
Best of luck! I was so nervous leading up to it, wondering if I had prepared enough. They were so nice and made me feel very comfortable.
Im hoping I did well. I gave it my best! They are holding the last of the interviews next friday and will then provide the results the following week. If I get in...AMAZING! If not, I will just apply again.

Hopefully we will be training together in April!

koby

Cannon Fodder
Hope so...

Best of luck! I was so nervous leading up to it, wondering if I had prepared enough. They were so nice and made me feel very comfortable.
Im hoping I did well. I gave it my best! They are holding the last of the interviews next friday and will then provide the results the following week. If I get in...AMAZING! If not, I will just apply again.

Hopefully we will be training together in April!
My friend has just heard that she got in to be a medical despatcher !!! I'm so excited for her - we didn't even know that we both were applying to the QAS - such a coincidence...fingers crossed everyone!:)

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Yes, I would say that majority of people would find it easy to pass. I was very jittery leading up to the physical test and when she explained each of the tests, I was very eased. To prepare, just do all of the stretches and exercises that they provide you with in the recruitment information booklet. If you follow these, you will be fine. And ensure that you do cardio prep to increase your recovery rate.
Thanks heaps... yeah I think no matter how prepared you think you are, it's always nerve racking!

I was also wondering if you could help me out with how the STAR format works? I know it means Situation, task, action and result..... but not exactly sure how it will work with the questions they will ask? So what kind of questions do they ask??? And how would you respond using the STAR format??? :confused:

Hope you hear the good news really soon!

Cheers

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Yes, I would say that majority of people would find it easy to pass. I was very jittery leading up to the physical test and when she explained each of the tests, I was very eased. To prepare, just do all of the stretches and exercises that they provide you with in the recruitment information booklet. If you follow these, you will be fine. And ensure that you do cardio prep to increase your recovery rate.
Oh by any chance did they tell you what range ur recovery rate had to be in to pass? Or any of the components of the test???

Lyndal

Cannon Fodder
fitness test results

Hi all,

I have my fitness test in 2 weeks and was hoping someone would be able to tell me wat the pass mark is for some of the components? Also any good tips for the day would be really helpful! I see some people have said it's really easy to pass, does someone who has recently done it have the same opinion?

Good luck to those who have upcoming interviews!
Hi there,
I did my fitness test in early December and it's really easy. You only need to get a total of like 27 ish to pass. Each exercise is out of I think 5. Each part then has a target weight or amount of reps ect and if you get the max then you get 5. It's so easy that someone from recruitment told me that there's only ever been like 2 people that have failed!!!

Had my interview in Brisbane on the 11th of Feb. Good luck for everyone that still has to have one!!!

christian.mclean2

Cannon Fodder
Interviews

Anyone recived any news yet ? I think interviews are wrapping up next FRI ? I was told by the board / 3 interviewers that there were 100 interviews to be conducted for 55 positions but Im not sure if that was for the whole of QLD or just my area (Townsville) can anyone clarify ?

All the best to you all and I hope the people I have provided info to found it usefull !

I am keen to help anyone who is yet to complete the recruitment process and would like info so dont be scared to drop me a line.