Anyone a Paramedic or an Ambo....or work for QAS

tigra

Cannon Fodder
In the QAS interviews that i had (both for paramedic and comms operator positions) , I was asked questions like "what attracts you to the position", "what sort of family support do you have" , "what do you like about being in a team environment" and "what qualities do you think make a good paramedic".

They want to hear about your long term goals and that you are not the kind of person who likes to stand still. Things like job satisfaction and enjoying helping others should factor into your responses and its also best to use EEO buzzwords to show that you are commited to a equal oportunity environment and helping people regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation or social situation.

You may be asked how you plan to deal with the stressors of the job and shift work.

The interviews generally have a 3 person panel and are informal. You are given some (3 i think) questions beforehand to comment on and have 10 mins usually to think about your answer and take notes. Try to give real life examples that demonstrate your answers. Keep cool as you can and remember that they will understand that you are nervous.

The panel usually tries very hard to remain impartial and so dont be disuaded if it is difficult to tell if they are happy or unhappy with your answers. You will generally walk out of the interview having no idea if you did well or not..... its part of the process. Be confident that if you got to the interview stage, then you have done very well in the application process.

Just remember what attracted you to the job in the first place and keep your cool and it will go well. They are not there to trip you up.

Also, knowing the definition of empathy and sympathy and how you use them is a good way to get extra points. A majority of the job is communication skills, NOT running in and "saving the day". It is mostly a thankless job in general so you need to be self motivated and not the kind of person why relies on praise from management/patients to keep you going. (generally though, good work is recognised, but it may be months or years after the fact. For example, I recently recieved a large letter from a pt's mother expressing her gratitude for a save that took place 3 years ago).

In other words, you are a self motivated person who loves to work in a team environment, has excellent communications skills, takes satisfaction in helping those in need, strives for excellence in your everyday work, is commited to maintaining/improving your patient care skills and had a strong support network to assist you when you are confronted with "nasty" situations/cases.

Last edited:

koby

Cannon Fodder
really nice reply tigre

that was great information....I am also taking your other advice and speaking to a very lost friend (haven't spoken in 8yrs (he was my husband's friend they had a falling out) but he has been a paramedic for 15years or so...going to seek his information re being in the QAS...we all appreciate everyone's advice - it's great!:cool:

sorry - "Tigra" (not what I said...)

Last edited:

tigra

Cannon Fodder
Hope the info is helpfull, please feel free to ask if there are any other things i can help with.

Best of luck

tigra

Cannon Fodder
In answer to some questions that i was asked by canhope4 ... here goes:

My EMD interview was in 2003 and my Student Para interview was in 2005 so its been a while. I cant honestly say i have knowledge of the "star" format of answering interview questions but i can say that i have witnessed or participated in other interviews for different internal positions since and the idea is still the same.

I cannot advise on whether the process has changed since i went through. From the conversations that i have had since with different staff and students that i mentored i dont see it as being a different process, but as i am not an assessor then i cannot 100% verify.

I started as an honorary officer in a small town in south east QLD. I applied for a job as a EMD in the South West Comms centre and after i applied for the student program, i startedin inner city Brisbane (i mainly worked at Roma st and spring hill stations however as my roster varied, i have worked from all sort of outer stations (chermside, south bris, mt gravatt, eatons hill, northgate, sandgate, redcliffe etc). I currently work in a single officer station in a small town 6 hours west of brisbane.

The rosters are varied and dependent on the individual station that you work at. My roster at a cat 5 (remote) station is 8 10 hour days on (Emergency Availablility (on call) each night) and 6 days off. Most remote stations have this roster but as a student, you will not have access to it. Most city stations have varied rosters. The best way to get this kind of info is to drop in to the stations and introduce yourselved to the Officers in Charge. Ask them for a copy of the station rosters.

Generally you will run as a third officer with a crew (an ACP and student para) for a couple of weeks. You are then paired up with a mentor (a qualified ACP) for the duration of your CAP/LAP phases (the period after a residency/classroom environment). This person is there to "teach you the ropes". How you are used is completely up to the individual mentor. For example, my mentor and i did a half day each i.e. i was patient care for one half of the day and I was second officer (driver and gopher) for the second half of the day. The mentor is there to guide your progress and slowly introduce you to being the primary care officer (the guy who is running the job).

If the acp is treating and you are driving then you will have to rely on asking questions as you go and using the gps's in most cars. YOU WILL NEED TO BECOME PROFICIENT AT GUIDING WITH A REFIDEX if you arnt already.

If you are honest about your limitations then there wont be any problems. if your pride wont let you admit that you dont quite know what it is that the ACP wants etc then you are gunna be in the shit. You will have to get used to being intimidated by staff asking you to do things that you simply have to answer "i havnt been shown how yet" to.

When i was an honorary (2 weeks in ) i attended a car crash with 7 patients involved (1 dead, 1 critical, 1 entrapped, the rest had minor injuries). I had no idea what i was doing and was crapping myself but my mentor was a legend and knew how to handle the situation. I went into gopher mode and followed his instructions to the letter and we got the job done. My job was then to recall what had transpired and start to ask questions after the job was done. To observe and assist and then to practice and apply.

There are not a huge amount of opportunities for OT at sporting specials etc for students but they do come around. Most standby events require a single officer with a unit on scene to assist and a full crew that is on shift will be used to respond and transport after the initial treatment. All ot is advertised and its a first in best dressed situation.

Sorry for the bad spelling and grammar. Ill post any answers to private questions (unless they are very private) on the main area so that others can benefit.

Keep asking questions as they come to mind - happy to help where i can.

Canhope4

Cannon Fodder
Answers

In answer to some questions that i was asked by canhope4 ... here goes:

Thanks tigra, answers are great.

I know every station could be different, but it helps to know how things operate and to have an insight into what we could expect.

Cheers:)
Canhope4

christian.mclean2

Cannon Fodder
Paramedic interview

Tigra,
I am being interviewed on the 8th of FEB in Townsville and I would like to say thank you for sharing your experence. Alot of people for some reason seem to hold onto information. Im sure as a result of reading your info I will be better prepared and more relaxed about being interviewed. Thanks again.

When was your interview conducted ?

kymbo83

Cannon Fodder
Marks needed to pass aptitude testing????

Tigra, thanks so much for all your advice and info.... it's all going to come in very handy!

Does anyone have any idea on what marks/ % you need to pass all the aptitude testing? I did ring and ask livingstones today but the guy wasn't very helpful.

I have my testing on Wed and i'm getting really nervous... I have been doing heaps of practice exmas off the net and from books.... i hope this is going to be enough!?:confused:

Cheers
Kym

tigra

Cannon Fodder
Knocked the nail on the head christain. I dont know why but the QAS seems to breed a culture of unhelpfullness.

Why that is I dont know. There is a lot of angst between new and old staff and its usually just an attitude issue. One of the factors is in the training of new staff. Its VERY important in this job to be confident of you capabilities and your limits. To that end, all new staff are told things along the lines of "you are the best of the best and you are better trained and equipped than any previous staff". This is of course said to give students confidence but some will take that and roll with it causing animosity between staff. Make it part of your career to break that cycle. The "bastardization" route simply does not work.

In my opinion, it is always experience that will win the day in the paramedic game. Yes of course the training is better and better with time (as is the amount of interventions available to patients) but its the students that come through and strut their stuff and existing staff who will not help others for some idiotic reason that make this process much more difficult then it has to be.

The medical field is FULL of huge egos and getting used to that is part of the job. As a good teacher told me at my first residency "the idea is to make lots of small mistakes and learn from each". The ambos who act like they dont make errors are the ones who usually make the most. Almost every student who fails their panel week does so because they fail on basics like haemorrhage control, o2 therapy or checking for dangers on scene)

To answer some prev questions, my interviews were both in Toowoomba as it was nearest to my residence at that time. My aptitude testing took place after i was already in (during the first 6 week residency at QCESA in Lutwyche). Prior to being accepted i had the usual medical, psycometric and workplace function testing. The aptitude testing was basic maths and english skills. (remember that long division from school :) but i have no idea what the "pass" mark may be.

I will try to encourage other acp's to get on this site to give their opinions if i can as well. Im happy to help here because i had absolutely no idea what to expect when i applied and went through. It doesnt need to be that way. If you dont get in then ask for feedback on where you went wrong and keep applying. You can also ask a station OIC if you can do a ride-along with a crew so you can spend a shift seeing the real deal. (I recommend a night shift in a busy station if you can)

tigra

Cannon Fodder
Tigra,
I am being interviewed on the 8th of FEB in Townsville and I would like to say thank you for sharing your experence. Alot of people for some reason seem to hold onto information. Im sure as a result of reading your info I will be better prepared and more relaxed about being interviewed. Thanks again.

When was your interview conducted ?
Early 2005

Forumscanner

Cannon Fodder
Tigra, thanks so much for all your advice and info.... it's all going to come in very handy!

Does anyone have any idea on what marks/ % you need to pass all the aptitude testing? I did ring and ask livingstones today but the guy wasn't very helpful.

I have my testing on Wed and i'm getting really nervous... I have been doing heaps of practice exmas off the net and from books.... i hope this is going to be enough!?:confused:

Cheers
Kym
Its not really a pass/fail assessment

You are scored out ofr 5 for the 3 parts, number, verbal and abstract reasoning i believe,

So and example of a final score would be 3/5 3/5 4/5 this is then used in your application to assess you against the other applicants.

Lyndal

Cannon Fodder
interview questions

Hi there
Does anyone know if all of the questions asked need to be answered in the 'star' format??For example do you get a few questions and then time to prep a star answer to those and then a load of other questions, once you get in there, to be answered any way you can????Starting to get jittery. This time next week it'll all be over!!!!

Forumscanner

Cannon Fodder
Hi there
Does anyone know if all of the questions asked need to be answered in the 'star' format??For example do you get a few questions and then time to prep a star answer to those and then a load of other questions, once you get in there, to be answered any way you can????Starting to get jittery. This time next week it'll all be over!!!!
They follow the same format with everyone. There was around 5 questions you answer with STAR and sometimes they might throw a side question or two

christian.mclean2

Cannon Fodder
Academy training

Tigra,
Thanks again for your input, I plan to help any one that wants it. My experence to date is limited but as I said I will help any one who asks about the recruitment process. My interview is in 2 days so I will be able to offer very current information to those who are yet to be interviewed. I have a question for you. If you stay on campus for the basic training (6 week block) it is my understand that the pay is only around $800 a week. Is your accomidation, meals and books ect required for the cse payed for by QAS or does this come out of your $800 ? This is prety much the only thing left that I cant seem to find an answer on ?

christian.mclean2

Cannon Fodder
interview questions

write down all questions you think they will ask you and a reply using the STAR method before your interview. (write these from the position description and info booklets on the QAS site) Get some one to interview you for practace that way when you are interviewed you already have an idea of what you will be asked, a responce to give and you would have practiced giving your answer using the STAR method. I know this doesnt answer you question but I hope it helps. I have sat many interviews . And this is very effective for preperation.

Brissyguy

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys! :)

I've been lurking around since last year and even made an account for myself but this is my first post.

I just wanted to say thanks everyone for the information and I hope all you guys make it into the training program!

I got into QUT so hopefully we'll all get to know each other better in the coming years.

I couldn't find anything on food and accommodation and textbooks for the academy Christian. :(

tigra

Cannon Fodder
Brissyguy said:
Hi tigra! I just wanted to say thanks for all the information provided on the forum about the QAS program!

You did your residency (sorry I'm still wrapping my head around this, I know that residency is after a medical program and internship, but in paramedic terms is that first year?) in 2005 so I'm assuming that you're not an ACP. How are things so far?

I got into QUT's program and although I really like the idea of getting paid to study and work at the academy, I'm way to young at 18 and uni will provide me with a good education and skills and hopefully I can hack it! The class seems really small compared to other courses (under 100 people). I guess the course is only 5 years old.

Anyway I hope you're having fun!

p.s; sorry for so many questions! But what is your pay like? I'm just trying to work out if I can live comfortably as a paramedic.
Hey BrissyGuy

by residency i mean when you are in class for training at various intervals during the diploma. For me it was 6 weeks initially, 2 weeks at 6 months (res 1) 3 weeks at 1 year (res 2), 2 weeks at 2 yrs (res 3), 2 weeks at 2 and a half yrs (res 4 which is a practice for panel and final exams) and then panel week shortly thereafter. (The structure remains the same but the timing is slightly different now, perhaps a current student can help with this)

What I mean to say is that in early 05 i started the internal program and began my first 6 weeks of training before working with or as an on road crew. Ive been an ACP since June 07.

The base rate of pay isnt what i would call brilliant (im on $24.50 an hr as a lvl 1 ACP - this goes up after 3 years post grad). Student para wages are quite pathetic. As a first year i was on $15.20 an hour second year was $16.62 and then $17.41 (pay goes up with certain residencys) (which may have changed since and probably will change soon due to our EBA being arbitrated at the moment)

If i was 18 (im 31 now) i would 100% go through the QUT degree. It will give you a lot more qualification for down the road (a big problem in this game is lack of career options). I think thats a bit harder after you graduate to be thrown into it with a student for you to train (after only having several weeks of on road time compared to 2 and a half years for internal grads) but its a better personal choice in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Oh and Christian - if i recall correctly, your accomodation and meals at the residence (hotel i think) are all paid by qas. Anything that is not paid up front is claimed with a form at the end of the course. Qas did not supply my group with any textbooks however that may have changed (there are plenty of notes and readings given for each subject though). A Marieb and PHTLS were first on my list. I recommend the medical bookstore on herston road behind the RBH (http://www.medicalbookshopherston.com.au/), they used to give a qas discount too and they sell stethoscopes etc which are a must (each kit should have a cheap scope in it for regular use but do you really want to have a manky earpiece in your head that gets cleaned once a year if its lucky?). I know of another medical bookstore in douglas street in Milton (off park road) but i dont know its name.

Last edited:

Lyndal

Cannon Fodder
Christian good luck with the interview!!!

Tigra, thanks so much for all the info. Will definately be a lot calmer going in on Thursday thanks to you!!

jaxmvr

Cannon Fodder
Good day everyone

I have read a lot on this site, first posting. Can anyone that went for the interview advise me on the correct clothing for the interview. As it is a paramedic job, do you need to wear a suit or is business pants and a shirt ok - with or witout a tie?

Thanks heaps

Last edited:

pete_000

Cannon Fodder
paramedical science - degree vs diploma

Hi everyone
Does anyone else feel disappointed that the degree can only be obtained with the uni route?

I am aware that as far as the job is concerned they are identical in terms of the ability to practice. It's a shame that the status will be lost as one only has a diploma instead.

How will this affect any post graduate studies?
How does it look on the resume?
etc

Are there any major differences? Why can't there just be a degree?
In the UK, the Nursing Diploma has been scrapped in favour of a degree only entry.

Thanks for reading and thanks to all the people who give up their time to write in... it's much appreciated.