All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

moorey

call me Mia
And me, trying to work out where you and @fjohn860 are, then thrashing myself up the hill so you don't have to wait too long for me - only to find out you're both still at the bottom. :oops: It was one way to work on my climbing fitness I guess...
Rookie error calling him. I don’t think you have my number, and I was off dealing with Quinn’s multiple dramas.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
And me, trying to work out where you and @fjohn860 are, then thrashing myself up the hill so you don't have to wait too long for me - only to find out you're both still at the bottom. :oops: It was one way to work on my climbing fitness I guess...
Think of it as mtb boot camp.

You ring.

I don't answer.

You thrash yourself up Cressy Gully Rd.

You get fitter quicker...

ausdb

Being who he is
Not really a review as I haven't had time to use any of them yet but these arrived from Ali on Thursday.
A EC44 tapered headset for the wifes Aldi 29er, it seems to be well made but the upper bearing is a very loose fit in the upper cup
A replacement lower bearing for a works - 2° headset, it feels pretty smooth I wonder how long it will last.
A tubeless goop injector set. Probably no good for any of the really chunky sealants.
Shipping was about three weeks.

What was a little spooky was the day I got the advance delivery notification from Auspost I also got a really convincing phishing email claiming to be from Auspost saying I owed them extra money for gst, but the Ali website was showing our had already cleared customs!
DSC_8377-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We'll I installed the AliExpress app again.
And promptly remembered why I deleted it last time and just use the mobile website...
They LOVE the push notifications for every weird new best amazing popular fantastic must-have thing! My phone's buzzing about 8 times a day with notifications.
Ugh,... that drives me crazy too. Especially pushing more of the same things that I bought earlier.

Don't forget the 'compulsory' daily coins check in.

It is an annoying app.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So this is almost definitely a terrible idea, but I have a spare XM481 rim, spokes, and nipples that should fit so... lets give 'er a go. Plan is to ditch the included ratchet and use a genuine DT one from the get-go seeing as that's the only reported failure I can find. Bearings are supposed to be a bit crap, but will give them a shot.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
So this is almost definitely a terrible idea, but I have a spare XM481 rim, spokes, and nipples that should fit so... lets give 'er a go. Plan is to ditch the included ratchet and use a genuine DT one from the get-go seeing as that's the only reported failure I can find. Bearings are supposed to be a bit crap, but will give them a shot.

View attachment 383825

I'm so close to pulling the trigger and building a set of EX511's on these after I just trashed my 370 hub.

Apparently if you get them to fit the 36t ratchet it is more reliable. Would like to see a long term test of these with someone really thrashing them.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got a good lead on Tubeless Valves from AliExpress?
I am happy to go search myself, just know you lot would have already done the field testing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Isn't a bad idea at all. If they are using standard sealed bearings then swapping them shouldn't be too tough.

I have my eye on some cheapy hubs as possible replacement for some quirky hubs I have here. I think these might be pawled and not a DT-esque ratchet which is a minus. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32902962592.html
Will need to check this out as a cheap chinese pawl freehub doesn't sound like a great idea.

moorey

call me Mia
Isn't a bad idea at all. If they are using standard sealed bearings then swapping them shouldn't be too tough.

I have my eye on some cheapy hubs as possible replacement for some quirky hubs I have here. I think these might be pawled and not a DT-esque ratchet which is a minus. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32902962592.html
Will need to check this out as a cheap chinese pawl freehub doesn't sound like a great idea.
I have heard tell of cheese pawls…but Godspeed.