All Mountain Tyres

Z

Zaf

The DD casing is also more expensive than the EXO.
So if you paid EXO price you're laughing!

Klips

Likes Dirt
Has anyone else run Rubena tyres before? I've spent the day playing with the Highlander and found that ideal pressure to be about 19psi, which is a *lot* lower than I ran an HR2 on the same rim (25psi). Given I'm 80+kg, it makes me a bit nervous to use something that low but damn it feels good to ride!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The DD casing is also more expensive than the EXO.
So if you paid EXO price you're laughing!
i did pay the cheaper price of an EXO, but i'm not sure i need the extra fatness!

ps. am i the only one who think's of KFC when i hear double down?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
my tomahawk arrived... but they sent me the Double Down casing (i just wanted plain old EXO)

i'm in 2 minds as to whether i try it, or return it... the EXO is already 100g heavier than the ikon i normally run on the rear and at 960g the DD is another 200g more on top of that.
Send it back for the EXO. 200 is quite a few g's, over 26% heavier.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Has anyone else run Rubena tyres before? I've spent the day playing with the Highlander and found that ideal pressure to be about 19psi, which is a *lot* lower than I ran an HR2 on the same rim (25psi). Given I'm 80+kg, it makes me a bit nervous to use something that low but damn it feels good to ride!
I run 26 inch 2.25 Rubena Kratos on the XC bike at 20 front and 26 rear . On the Foxy which is 27.5 the Ardent EXO 2.4 I`m running at 17 front and back and even that feels too firm for my liking , checked and triple checked with the pressure gauge. I`m finding this odd although I think it was Stirk who has his at somewhere around 11 ?

Z

Zaf

i did pay the cheaper price of an EXO, but i'm not sure i need the extra fatness!

ps. am i the only one who think's of KFC when i hear double down?

Never had KFC.
I chose the EXO over the Double Down as well (still in basket, not bought) for the same reason. If it were a front tyre, I'd actually say keep it, but you feel the weight on a drive tyre a lot more.
Might not be bad to have in the back pocket though, given you got it cheap.

stirk

Burner
I run 26 inch 2.25 Rubena Kratos on the XC bike at 20 front and 26 rear . On the Foxy which is 27.5 the Ardent EXO 2.4 I`m running at 17 front and back and even that feels too firm for my liking , checked and triple checked with the pressure gauge. I`m finding this odd although I think it was Stirk who has his at somewhere around 11 ?
11 front high roller 2 2.40
15 rear ardent exo 2.40

These big tyres 'feel' good at those pressures to me, but it is risky. By comparison the wire bead ardents they replaced had to be around 18-20psi or they felt loose on the trail.

I should add the biggest drop I encounter would be a foot high.

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
15 rear ardent exo 2.40

These big tyres 'feel' good at those pressures to me, but it is risky. By comparison the wire bead ardents they replaced had to be around 18-20psi or they felt loose on the trail.

Wow, if my tyres were like that I'd be paranoid of rolling them off the rim at every corner! I'm not the smoothest rider of all time and I've been sending drops around 4 feet, so I'll probably trial it a bit longer and see how I go. Worst come to worst, I wanted new wheels anyway :D

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
15 rear ardent exo 2.40

wow that is low. Maybe try a different gauge lol

stirk

Burner
I chipped a rim even at 24psi I don't know how anyone could ride with 11psi and not damage rims all day....
High roller 2 on the front was at 11 and now everyone has me thinking its bloody low, it feels like 18 did in the old ardent I had on.

Was fine on the oaks single track which is rocky.

Z

Zaf

Yeah, even with that those are some low pressures. Which pressure gauge you using?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i'm going to assume you dont ride very hard? surely giving it some welly at those pressures would peel the tyre straight off.

on an unrelated note, my new XC hardtail came with DHR II's on it.. massive overkill, but i'm going to give them a few laps to see how they feel compared to a DHF.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

You can run some pretty low pressures with wide rims these days and keep them stable. But you need the right casing for it, usually a downhill casing or a significant trail EXO can be alright. But I too would be scared loading the front with that pressure in it.
Hopefully it's just a gauge error, under reading.

stirk

Burner
Yeah giving it the squeeze test its a little low for a front, it just felt similar to the previous whimpy cheap ardent and when measured I was really surprised. I might have to up it a little!

I don't ride rock gardens but the single track I do is rough and rocky, slashed a rear casing couple of weeks ago.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah giving it the squeeze test its a little low for a front, it just felt similar to the previous whimpy cheap ardent and when measured I was really surprised. I might have to up it a little!

I don't ride rock gardens but the single track I do is rough and rocky, slashed a rear casing couple of weeks ago.
I think that's what it is. When you start doing jumps and launching into rock gardens etc that is when the low pressure puts your wheels at risk.