All Mountain Tyres

Z

Zaf

I had to get every last cent out of them given that I had to sell a kidney to afford them.
Maybe it's just the rocky terrain out here in Alice (although at least 100km of that was ridden in Rotorua), the Schwalbe compounds are super grippy, I love how they behave, but they don't last.
I keep a pair for racing, because they tick all the boxes for that. But, especially with how good Maxxis prices are through Pushy's, having trouble justifying dropping the bucks on anything else. Wouldn't mind trying some Onza's, and so far impressed with WTB's, but Maxxis are seriously good bang for bucks.

mint355

Likes Dirt
I had to get every last cent out of them given that I had to sell a kidney to afford them.
Maybe it's just the rocky terrain out here in Alice (although at least 100km of that was ridden in Rotorua), the Schwalbe compounds are super grippy, I love how they behave, but they don't last.
I keep a pair for racing, because they tick all the boxes for that. But, especially with how good Maxxis prices are through Pushy's, having trouble justifying dropping the bucks on anything else. Wouldn't mind trying some Onza's, and so far impressed with WTB's, but Maxxis are seriously good bang for bucks.
Stop skidding in the corners and they will last a bit longer.... just saying I prefer to just destroy schwalbe tyres on rocks first ride.... think im up to about 4 now....

madstace

Likes Dirt
Choppy? Is that you?!

EDIT: Gosh, that seems so much meaner once written down than it sounded in my head!!

http://i.imgur.com/pt1NcpR.jpg

Here's a pic of my Hans Dampf PaceStar from the rear after 500km of riding. Not that although the siping on the side knobs is still intact, they're completely gouged on the inner side from folding over in corners. Wouldn't hook in like that, just gotta let it slide.
There's so much knob carnage there I'm gonna call that tyre Caitlyn :bolt:

I seriously don't get how Schwalbe can keep making tyres with such pathetic durability and still have people buy them. Still loving my DHR II 2.3 3c front/dual compound rear setup, best all round setup I've run and they hardly look worn after 6 months!

Z

Zaf

Stop skidding in the corners and they will last a bit longer.... just saying I prefer to just destroy schwalbe tyres on rocks first ride.... think im up to about 4 now....
Haha, see Raby's latest amendment to his C line? People were skidding so he put a cicane into the damned thing.
How long did you get out of your Hans Dampfs?
I know your track record with Racing Ralphs is about one ride.

There's so much knob carnage there I'm gonna call that tyre Caitlyn :bolt:
I had to google "Caitlyn", but that's well funny!

Z

Zaf

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I took the measurements of the following tyres.
These are the 26" Tyres and mounted to Zelvy Carbon 35mm rims (30mm internal, clincher)

Maxxis Shorty 2.4 - 61-559 (tread width)

About 58-559 on the casing width. So website measures from widest point.

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 61-559

These two are mounted to Roval Carbon Traverse SL's (22mm internal, hookless).

WTB Vigilante 2.3 58-622

WTB Wolverine 2.2 55-622

simon21

Likes Bikes
Has anyone had a go on the new Maxxis Tomahawks yet? Looks like a good option for a fast rear that's not a semi slick.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Has anyone had a go on the new Maxxis Tomahawks yet? Looks like a good option for a fast rear that's not a semi slick.
i've got one coming this week, will test it on the weekend.

some news from maxxis, most of the popular tyres will be available in 2.4/2.5" and TR (very keen for a 2.5" 3C EXO TR DHF!) new 2.5 Shorty should be a cracker as well.

they also offer a new DD (Double Down) casing. i noticed when i bought my Tomahawk it came with either EXO or DD casing. DD weighs about 200g more but i'm guessing it's #endurbro much like Schwalbe's Super Gravity casing..

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/eurobike-2015-the-highlights-from-maxxis/

stirk

Burner
Just arrived! I really like the look of it more so in the flesh than photos online.

This pic kind of shows the difference in the centre knobs to the large side knobs.

Not sure I'm qualified to write a report but I'll post my opinion after this weekends ride.

IMG_20150907_110520.jpg

Z

Zaf

Pics of it on a rim, and get some measurements!
Please.... Sir

Last edited by a moderator:

Klips

Likes Dirt
Mounted up the Rubena Highlander 27.5 x 2.45 on the Norco. With the fairly narrow rims I'm running, they come in at a very rounded 2.3"

Hmmmmmm.

Z

Zaf

Oh man, I think I'm gonna go buy one or two for the Yeti after seeing that. Cool looking tread!

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Hey Stirk,
Could you do the casing height ?
Interested to see if I can run this instead of my ardent race in the back of my reign.
Thanks
Gav

stirk

Burner
Hey Stirk,
Could you do the casing height ?
Interested to see if I can run this instead of my ardent race in the back of my reign.
Thanks
Gav
Should be fine to run the tomahawk, its approx 52mm from edge of rim to top of the tyre.

IMG_20150908_064023.jpg

mitchy_

Llama calmer
my tomahawk arrived... but they sent me the Double Down casing (i just wanted plain old EXO)

i'm in 2 minds as to whether i try it, or return it... the EXO is already 100g heavier than the ikon i normally run on the rear and at 960g the DD is another 200g more on top of that.